10-06-2013 07:13 PM
144 ... 456
tools
    It appears to be a combination of hardware and software. The hardware relationship can be deduced from the fact that only some of the Nokia Windows phones of each type have the malfunction and it is unlikely to be different versions of the OS or due to apps as people have reported it with a freshly cleaned phone -- I am one. Since Nokia (or at least a Nokia person) has said that an update to fix the problem will be available this summer it would appear to be a relationship between the hardware and the software. It might be a race condition that occurs on phones that are slightly slower or faster than most.

Most of the reports that I have seen say the problem occurs within the first few days of having the phone. So if you have had your phone for a while without any lock ups it will probably remain lock up free.
    05-16-2013 09:42 PM
    I take a picture of my 3DS to send via its program (snap pic on phone to snap pic on console to send) and let it sit there. I unlock the phone, then all of a sudden, locked up. Rebooted via Vol Down+Power? CANNOT FIND A BOOTABLE OPTION. Oh damn...
    05-17-2013 03:23 AM
    Have you received any additional information as to when the software patch to fix the lockup problem will be available?
    07-02-2013 02:13 AM
    Jana at Nokia,

It appears the June release did not fix the intermittent shutdown that occurs most often at night with the Nokia 822 phone on the charger. I have also had the problem during the day. Can we expect some future release to fix the problem or should we just give up and go with android phones?
    07-28-2013 01:55 PM
    I bought mine in December 2012. My freezes up all the time. I will be in the middle of a text and it will freeze. Once I reboot and return to my text, the other person's texts are gone. It freezes when I am switching screens. I had a regional manager of VZN look at it and he tweeked it for me. He told me that if it keeps up I should return it for a new one. The only problem is, I have a voicemail message that I don't want to lose. My father passed last month and I have a message from him. Anyone know how to save that, if possible?
    07-30-2013 11:56 PM
    well i am having somewhat different problem , my phone shuts down itself when left for idle for a long time , like during the night :(
    can anyone help me with this issue .

done all i could think or , flashing old firmware , hard reset , exclamation sign tweak
    07-31-2013 01:22 AM
    I bought mine in December 2012. My freezes up all the time. I will be in the middle of a text and it will freeze. Once I reboot and return to my text, the other person's texts are gone. It freezes when I am switching screens. I had a regional manager of VZN look at it and he tweeked it for me. He told me that if it keeps up I should return it for a new one. The only problem is, I have a voicemail message that I don't want to lose. My father passed last month and I have a message from him. Anyone know how to save that, if possible?
    I believe if you hold the camera button down while playing the message it will record. The post I read on this said to turn on your speakerphone. I haven't tried myself but I hope this helps.
    07-31-2013 09:46 PM
    This thread is over eight months old which means the lockup problem has been around at least that long.

It appears neither Microsoft nor Nokia is interested in issuing a fix.

Does anyone have anything from Microsoft or Nokia lately indicating when/if they will fix this problem? The thread entries indicated the begining of the summer and that is long gone.
    08-20-2013 05:31 PM
    Starting today, the GDR2 version of WP8 OS and Nokia Amber firmware are available for Lumia 822. Do you still have a problem with those installed?
    08-20-2013 05:43 PM
    I returned my phone as I was still in the trial period. I would to order another Nokia 822 as I liked the phone but couldn't handle the lockups. Can anyone that was having lockups confirm that the GDR2 version cured the problem?
    08-20-2013 06:13 PM
    My mother's 822 (black) has had intermittent reboot/shutdown issues since the beginning. My father's (black), my grandmother's (white), and mine (grey) do not. I have discovered ways of triggering the lockups in the past - activating Bluetooth, shutting it off, and letting the phone lock. So far I have not been able to create a lockup on my mom's phone.

I also have been able to create a lockup on mine through Bluetooth as well. Using the same process with the new Bluetooth stack, I have been unable to cause the lockup that I could create 100% of the time on my phone.

From talking with Nokia and Verizon in the past, it is my belief that there's been some problems with the Bluetooth hardware and the stack. It triggers lockups even if BT is not enabled on some devices. There apparently were other triggers as well that made it more common on some devices and less so on others. The CDMA chipset may play a role.

I'll let you know as the days go by since GDR2 and Amber just hit today, but so far the update is promising. Nokia offered to replace the phone at no cost in the past, but they were also honest in not guaranteeing that the replacement would not have the same issues. They told us they were working on it, but at any time they would be willing to send out a new phone. The whole time they were concerned about my mom's needs. It's their first time doing a CDMA smartphone, so it won't be flawless. But their honesty and commitment to making it right was endearing. My mom decided to wait it out because it wasn't so bad as her lockups always occurred when she put the phone in lock mode.

Keep the fingers crossed, but the problem may be solved. And the GDR2 and Amber improvements are also well worthwhile.
    08-20-2013 06:45 PM
    Update.

After 48 hours and Bluetooth being on the whole time (also interacting with the car's BT system), the phone has had ZERO lockups. The battery life has also improved. Usually it would have had at least one lock up in that period. So far, so good.
    08-22-2013 05:36 PM
    try to play some games, internet or using 5-6 apps for a while and see if it triggers the freezing. Many people will be glad, if the freezing problem is solved in this update. i once had an iphone with some bug like this freezing, apple addressed it within a month and fixed it. This case its been more than half a year and ppl are not sure whether this has been solved or not for sure.
    Last edited by ikrish; 08-24-2013 at 03:16 AM.
    08-24-2013 03:00 AM
    try to play some games, internet or using 5-6 apps for a while and see if it triggers the freezing. Many people will be glad, if the freezing problem is solved in this update. i once had an iphone with some bug like this freezing, apple addressed it within a month and fixed it. This case its been more than half a year and ppl are not sure whether this has been solved or not for sure.
    You are saying this as if everyone had this problem. The answer is nope, they did not. That being said I hope it is fixed too...
    08-24-2013 10:24 PM
    This case its been more than half a year and ppl are not sure whether this has been solved or not for sure.
    One of the problems is that neither Nokia nor Microsoft will say that the last release included a fix for the lockup problem. Because even if it fixed the lockup problem but it was a coincidence instead of by design the next release could bring it back.
    08-27-2013 10:42 AM
    One of the problems is that neither Nokia nor Microsoft will say that the last release included a fix for the lockup problem. Because even if it fixed the lockup problem but it was a coincidence instead of by design the next release could bring it back.
    Not likely.. From what I've heard, it was an issue with the Bluetooth stack. That stack has been changed out.

Well over a week, no problems. They would have happened by now. It is fixed.
    sabermanX likes this.
    09-02-2013 09:48 AM
    It appears to be a combination of hardware and software. The hardware relationship can be deduced from the fact that only some of the Nokia Windows phones of each type have the malfunction and it is unlikely to be different versions of the OS or due to apps as people have reported it with a freshly cleaned phone -- I am one. Since Nokia (or at least a Nokia person) has said that an update to fix the problem will be available this summer it would appear to be a relationship between the hardware and the software. It might be a race condition that occurs on phones that are slightly slower or faster than most.

Most of the reports that I have seen say the problem occurs within the first few days of having the phone. So if you have had your phone for a while without any lock ups it will probably remain lock up free.
    It seems like this problem with the Nokia 822 with Windows OS has gone on for a while. Seems like everyone is hoping for the next update that never comes. Here, me the consumer is sold a phone through Verizon that is known to be faulty. There are so many posts with screen lock-up & resetting by taking the battery out that go back over a year. Verizon please stop selling a faulty phone & start with customer service by helping your customers out. Please do not purchase a Nokia Windows Phone, Please !!
    10-05-2013 07:46 PM
    It seems like this problem with the Nokia 822 with Windows OS has gone on for a while. Seems like everyone is hoping for the next update that never comes. Here, me the consumer is sold a phone through Verizon that is known to be faulty. There are so many posts with screen lock-up & resetting by taking the battery out that go back over a year. Verizon please stop selling a faulty phone & start with customer service by helping your customers out. Please do not purchase a Nokia Windows Phone, Please !!
    Are you still having a problem? Other posters reported the problem as fixed by the last update.
    10-05-2013 08:19 PM
    I went to Verizon store & they worked with phone. I also called Verizon & spoke to customer service & tech service. They said I had the latest version. I did do a phone restart with the tech at Verizon. It has worked for since friday. Any idea what the latest update is called ??
    10-06-2013 07:13 PM
144 ... 456