Nokia 822 Random Lock Ups and Reboots?

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys...just got my Nokia 822 and so far I really like this phone a whole lot. Been having some issues in my less than 24 hours with my phone though, so I wanted to find out if anyone is having similar issues.

So far my phone has locked up a few times, the first time it locked up I was setting up the Facebook portion of the setup, not the FB app, just the native setup. Locked up and had to do a battery pull in order to get it working again. Second time it locked up, I was just listening to some music and decided to check out the equalizer settings. It was making the screen transition and BOOM locks up. This time after a few seconds it rebooted itself. No other apps working in the background. This has happened at least two other times, not doing anything intensive or any apps in the background working.

I am hoping these issues fade away over the next couple of days, otherwise I may be forced to venture into BB and exchange it, which I am not really looking forward to since it is going to be a MAD HOUSE moving forward.

Other than those lil issues, I LOVE LOVE THIS phone. It is extremely light for being as big and thick as it is. WP8 like 7x is just as fluid and really like the feel of the phone.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know you said no other apps running in the background, but have you installed other apps? Just wondering if maybe you got something shady installed? Other than that, perhaps a defective unit?

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up launch day and so far no reboots or freeze up. I had picked up the 820 on AT&T and that device froze a few times. I know the 920 and 8X are having issues but as far as the 822 goes it has been a steller device for me the only issue I have is notifications I need to know when I get a text or email for work. I can't believe Microsoft did include this feature on WP8!

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I picked mine up launch day and so far no reboots or freeze up. I had picked up the 820 on AT&T and that device froze a few times. I know the 920 and 8X are having issues but as far as the 822 goes it has been a steller device for me the only issue I have is notifications I need to know when I get a text or email for work. I can't believe Microsoft did include this feature on WP8!

I really get the feeling that the lockups people are seeing are a carrier issue from AT&T. Everyone I know that has a VZW WP8 has yet to report a lockup/reboot

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I really get the feeling that the lockups people are seeing are a carrier issue from AT&T. Everyone I know that has a VZW WP8 has yet to report a lockup/reboot

No. My phone is the 822 which is on Verizon. I just had the issue resurface again. I was "showing off" an app and right in the middle of it, it locked up again. Music kept playing as if nothing was wrong, but the phone's screen was not responsive. Another battery pull.

I have installed a few apps. Guess, I will remove them and get back down to stock and see what happens then. Feeling really disappointed because I really like this phone. :(. Interestingly enough, if I try and replicate the issue it doesn't happen again. Maybe it's learning :). Just telling that to myself to make me feel better, but if this keeps up today. I think the phone will have to go back tomorrow, I will def exchange it before I throw in the towel with this model.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the 820 from at&t for 2 weeks, no lockups.

I believe it a cell tower issue I know with Verizon on a Android device low coverage causes reboots. With all the 4G upgrades going on with carriers cell coverage has been the worst in 15 years I have been with Verizon..

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had a couple lockups with my 822, but I realize it is a new model, and I expect Nokia will get it fixed.

Once I was on the phone with my wife, in the car, and car/phone were linked hands free. Suddenly silence. Car stereo still said Talking, but when I hit the BT button on phone it didn't switch to handset, wouldn't make any sound, and when I ended call, the car still said talking. I power cycled the phone then it was all good.

Couldn't send a picture text (first time), until cycling power.

Third time I don't remember what I was doing, but it hasn't happened since. That was Saturday.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I just finished resetting the phone back to defaults. No extra apps loaded. Before I could even do much w/the phone beyond setting up my live account it locked up again. Going back to BB and exchange it for the same model. Let's hope I just got a lemon.

I will keep you peeps posted with the new handset and see if the problems arise. So far it's been less than 24 hours of life for this phone, but when the phone is locking up doing basic functions I cannot wait for Nokia to issue out an update to solve them.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you have a bad device with all of the WP8 launches the 822 seems to have the least issues reading the forums. Read the 920 forums that device has multiple issues and no real fixes so I feel lucky. They even have a sticky in the 920 forums for issues.

zhelfrich

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
my girlfriends 822 did one random reboot 2 days after we got it while she was on the phone no other issues with hers and mine has been perfect

ChevyMSU35

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the 822 on Verizon and have had the phone randomly reboot a couple times. Both times I was in my office on the 40th floor where reception is a bit spotty, so that may have something to do with it.

Of bigger concern to me is the problem I've had syncing music to the phone. I'm using a SanDisk 32gb microSDHC card. No matter what method I use to sync (the don't-call-it-Metro WP8 app, the Windows 8 desktop app, or drag and drop in file explorer) the transfer process locks up, requiring me to exit the app/cancel the transfer, turn off my computer (because once this happens I can't "safely remove the hardware"), and pull the battery from my phone (if I try to shut it down normally, it just hangs on the "Goodbye" screen forever).

I've done a full format of the card on the computer and in my phone. I'm also able to put the card directly into my computer via a card reader and transfer files to it no problem; the locking only occurs when I'm transferring to the card while it's in my phone. The phone seems to read the card just fine otherwise; I can download podcasts to it through Xbox Music and play them back without issue, and when I go to settings it accurately shows the card and it's available storage.

Anyone else having similar issues? I'm hoping this is a software/firmware bug and I don't have to return my phone for a new one. Thanks in advance.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey ChevyMSU. I haven't tried loading my music on it, yet. If all goes well with my replacement, I will load up some music, I believe I have the same SD card.

After getting the phone exchanged, so far no issues. I am back at home now and during the drive here 30+miles I kept Nokia Drive going to see if it would cause any issue, none. Now that I am home I plan on using my cell phone only on the VZ network for testing purposes. Tomorrow I will go ahead and add the WiFi.

o4liberty ,I hope you are right! I really like the phone and I agree I have not seen any issues reported on here or anywhere else. Not sure how accurate VZ's Reviews (on their website) are, but the phone is getting 4.9 rating, that's the highest I've seen I think for any phone. I think only the HTC trophy was close to that number as well. I don't want to give up on this phone yet, so hopefully this replacement will be the lucky one :).

Thanks guys for your feedback and input.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 lockup's so far and I've had it since Friday. It was both while in screen stransitions (quitting apps I think). No reboots though. Both times the screen became unresponsive and then turned black. Resolved with a battery pull.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Mine locked up about an hour after I got it Thursday and again this afternoon. I don't like it doing this, but if that's as often as it will do it I will live with it.

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No freezing or rebooting at all here. And I've had the device about 5 days.

Speaking of FB though - that is the one app I truly use a lot, and unfortunately, the WP8 versions are pretty crappy compared to the Android and iOS versions.

I've tried the normal app, the Facebook Pro one, and the Facebook Touch app. And they all kinda suck.

Hope to see some updates or new alternative apps for WP8.

-mcskipp

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So far this has been a confirmed issue on the 8x, 920, and 820. So... Pretty sure the problem is baked into the OS 

Yeah, I started reading about the problems with the OS last night. So far, I'm going on the same amount of time with my replacement from BB and so far no issue. But man, I have been reading a lot of the same issue across the board.

How quick is VZ to update the handsets? I know with Android they are always lagging due to "testing".

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I started reading about the problems with the OS last night. So far, I'm going on the same amount of time with my replacement from BB and so far no issue. But man, I have been reading a lot of the same issue across the board.

How quick is VZ to update the handsets? I know with Android they are always lagging due to "testing".
The issue is widespread eenough that I expect MS to push an update asap. I don't think the update is up to Verizon due to the nature of windows phone. I think its up to MS much like IOS updates are solely ul to Apple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb