Nokia 822 Random Lock Ups and Reboots?

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Have had my 822 for 5 days now and have one screen lock and a couple of reboots. A battery pull resolved the screen lock. It all scares me because I had my HTC Arrive for almost 2 years and only had to pull the battery once the whole time and only turned it off an on maybe a handfull of times. I know the WP8 OS is new but I hope MS is working on a fix for this issue. I used to laugh at my wife's Android phone because she had to battery pull at least a couple times per week. I don't want the laughing coming my way. :unhappy:

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I dunno why my 822 seems charmed, but I've had it a month now with no screen lock and no reboot. I've taken the back cover off once to add memory, and once to replace it with the wireless charging back, but I haven't had to go the battery-pull route yet. My music synced using an iTunes playlist with no problem, and my 64GB memory card works fine. I've had apps hang from time to time, downloads occasionally get slow even with a fast WiFi connection, and the Windows Phone App on my Win7 PC is a little clunky, but that's about it in terms of problems. I'm still thinking this is a great phone.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm about 20hrs into my 822 and no issues whatsoever.

12-14-12: l'm having issues with receiving text notifications.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, y'all. On the random shutting off, and reboots, here's something to try.... Someone over on Verizon Forums had a phone that kept shutting off. She finally called Verizon, and ended up transferred to a Nokia person in Asia. That person had her plug the charger into the wall, hold down the power and volume down buttons at the same time and hold them until a large exclamation point came on the screen. Then turn the phone off then turn in on (I think she may have meant off then on??) to see if it would come on, and it did. She hasn't had a problem since.

tahoebigah

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I woke up this morning and my phone was off and wouldnt turn back on. I figured it it was dead so I plugged it in the charger and it still would not come on. I pulled the the battery and put it back in and after about 5 min it started up. Not sure what happened.

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
On my second 822 due to battery issues with the first one. The second one is much better but it is auto rebooting and bricking. Have had to do three battery pulls in four days. I really like this phone but am seriously thinking of going back to the iPhone. I have one more day on my BB 30 day return. What do you all think? Hopmedic-you seem very optimistic!

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey, y'all. On the random shutting off, and reboots, here's something to try.... Someone over on Verizon Forums had a phone that kept shutting off. She finally called Verizon, and ended up transferred to a Nokia person in Asia. That person had her plug the charger into the wall, hold down the power and volume down buttons at the same time and hold them until a large exclamation point came on the screen. Then turn the phone off then turn in on (I think she may have meant off then on??) to see if it would come on, and it did. She hasn't had a problem since.

Did she do this series while it was still black and unresponsive or after she had already done a battery pull and the phone was on and operating normally? I would like to try this but want to make sure I do it the right way.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Did she do this series while it was still black and unresponsive or after she had already done a battery pull and the phone was on and operating normally? I would like to try this but want to make sure I do it the right way.
Unfortunately her directions aren't the clearest.... I ended up doing this, and getting the red box (at start of startup) flashing repeatedly, and have up after about 15 times. So I asked her what I was doing wrong, and the reply was basically that was what she got, too, and after a while she quit, and it hasn't happened again. So in actuality, she never saw any exclamation point. :-\

I did it from the home screen, and I also did it from power off, both with the same result - the flashing red box for as long as I held the buttons, and startup seeming to be normal as soon as I let go.

My problem still exists, but my problem isn't exactly the same. I've not seen my phone shut off. Mine locks up, and occasionally reboots.

I have determined, though, that it is when it is linked to my car via Bluetooth that it does this. Each time. Twice in an hour yesterday after weeks without, but I'd reset my phone over the weekend, so it no longer had the Nokia updates - they came last night. I expect it to be more stable now, but what happened yesterday was while linked to the car for hands free, and playing podcasts through aux cable. One time I had hit the back button for something, or was navigating, or something... Was in the phone OS not deep, though, and it suddenly restarted. Second time I got a text, pulled the aux cable (won't hear me say read it if the cable is in), but instead of continuing with the text, it canceled the text, kept playing podcast through the speaker, and as I entered my unlock code, it rebooted, and when it came back up the text was lost.

I have had it freeze and had to pull the battery, and I've had to switch to holding the phone when BT suddenly quit transmitting the audio, though my stereo still said Talking. I'm convinced there's a bug in Bluetooth.

mjmartin01

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just got my 822 grey yesterday. I've had to pull the battery three times already. Not happy about this. The first grey 822 I got had a bubble in the screen. I had to wait two weeks to get his second one! I'm really not happy if I have to return a second one. My husband has a black 822 and has no problems with it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I know it's frustrating... I've had to pull the battery and my phone is wrapped in an OtterBox. I'd encourage you to wait and see what happens with the Portico update, which has already started coming to some HTC phones, and as Microsoft fine tunes their OTA updates (this is their first time doing it), the speed of the rollout should pick up. Also, I saw some stability improvement with the Nokia updates (Extras & Info), so if you haven't gotten that yet, it will come soon, probably today. I reset my phone twice this weekend,and each time that update came within 24 hours.

vane0326

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The screen on my Nokia Lumia 822 from Verizon will not turn on. BUT I could call from my Lan line and it will ring my Lumia 822 The fix is to pull the battery.

Already twice this has happen when I got this phone December 12,2012.

Is their an update to fix this?

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The screen on my Nokia Lumia 822 from Verizon will not turn on. BUT I could call from my Lan line and it will ring my Lumia 822 The fix is to pull the battery.

Already twice this has happen when I got this phone December 12,2012.

Is their an update to fix this?

It's supposed to be addressed in this first update that's due to roll out sometime this month.

Just so you know, if you don't want to pull the battery out or the back off when it happens, the other thing to do is hold the power and volume button simultaneously for several seconds and it will start it back up similar to the battery pull.

It's happening to me as well, at least once a day the last few days, nothing the few before that, 2 before that, makes me think its something about the way one of the newer apps is interacting with the system that contributes to it. Before it stopped when I uninstalled an app that I knew was the only change I had made since the problem started, not sure if I can figure a solution out as easily this time, but might try if I get too annoyed to see if it makes a difference.

vane0326

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
It's supposed to be addressed in this first update that's due to roll out sometime this month.

Just so you know, if you don't want to pull the battery out or the back off when it happens, the other thing to do is hold the power and volume button simultaneously for several seconds and it will start it back up similar to the battery pull.

It's happening to me as well, at least once a day the last few days, nothing the few before that, 2 before that, makes me think its something about the way one of the newer apps is interacting with the system that contributes to it. Before it stopped when I uninstalled an app that I knew was the only change I had made since the problem started, not sure if I can figure a solution out as easily this time, but might try if I get too annoyed to see if it makes a difference.

Just got off the phone with Nokia's support and they told me to hold down the volume button and the power button the same time and it will perform a hardware reset.

Let's wait and see if that works.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the power button/down volume works to reset hardware without pulling the battery. Worked for me yesterday when I froze up while in the car.

Portico? My guess (emphasis on guess) is in the next week. But there's been no word yet other than Honestabebread's comment on the news article several days back.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have 822 from Verizon and was having freeze issues with my Motorola H730. Further, it didn't respond well and was constantly trying to pair. It worked fine on my HTC Trophy w/ Win 7.5, btw.

I like the Motrola designs, so I bought an Oasis, and it has worked better, responds and syncs just fine. I still had a freeze on a phone call that required hard reboot, so, yes, I believe that the Win Phone 8 does have some type of bluetooth bug. Or maybe it's just since Google bought Motorola...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
@bulentbasgan: @NokiaCareUS Hey there, my 20 day old Lumia 920 got bricked after a hard reset attempt. What do I do?

Just happened to see this conversation that might be of help to someone.

@NokiaCareUS: @bulentbasgan Have you tried connecting the phone to the charger that came with the phone for an hour? ^RT

@bulentbasgan: @NokiaCareUS And when I try to regularly start it up, it shows a drained battery symbol that remains completely motionless.

@NokiaCareUS: @bulentbasgan What kind of reset are you performing on the phone? ^RT

@bulentbasgan: @NokiaCareUS the volume down+power button reset.

@NokiaCareUS: @bulentbasgan Try this, with the phone off, press power then immediately press and hold Vol down, an "!" mark will appear on display ^RT

@bulentbasgan: @NokiaCareUS The exclamation mark you're talking about does not appear at all.

@NokiaCareUS: @bulentbasgan Make sure that the phone is completely off in performing this reset. ^RT

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After another reboot this am, I tried it. We'll see if it works. Here's how I did it and actually did see the exclamation point:
1. Turn phone off. Not asleep, but all the way off.
2. Plug phone in and at the same time, pressed power button and volume down button, then released and held down the volume down button. The exclamation point came up.
3. Press/hold power button until it restarted again.

Now I'll wait and see if it happens again....

NoDakHank

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar issues with my 822 but mine tends to lock up after wirelessly charging on the FatBoy pillow. I also have an Otterbox case - was wondering if the case might have something to do with it? It fits very tightly and won't allow the search and back buttons to work when the sensitivity is in "normal" mode.

Is there anyone with this problem who doesn't have a solid case on their phone like the Otter?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb