Nokia 822 Random Lock Ups and Reboots?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I got one off ebay on Friday and I've had Bluetooth on from the get go. I have an older Escape with a Pioneer AVH-3400BT touch unit installed and the Bluetooth connects right up every time I get into the vehicle and start it up. So far, the phone hasn't locked up or rebooted at all. It's been only 4 days, but I've used it a lot in the car so far without an issue. Streaming to my unit works great (much better than my Pre 2 and TouchPad). I think this issue may vary for different people based on the equipment involved. I have a SanDisk UDHC microSD card (8GB) in my phone - brand new (free from BB...whoohoo!) - without issues as well, and I got Portico loaded when I got the phone. I hope you folks having issues find out what's causing it for you.

MorbidFun

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Still locks up on me as well after the update. Ordered another warranty replacement and shall see what happens. Hopefully the GDR 2 update will help.

Cerberus System

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
My first post here, I registered to try to find out about this issue. I've had my 822 a week now, and I've been experiencing the issue where the phone will just shut itself off after being left idle for a while, and cannot be turned back on unless I remove the battery and then put it back. I have downloaded the update and it still happens. It's happened 3 times today, when the phone is just left sitting on a desk, so nothing is touching it. I've looked around and found this is somewhat common (though two family members who got 822s at the same time as me don't experience it of course) so while I'm considering asking for a replacement, I wonder if that will do any good.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Locked up a couple more times. This time, I dialed a number, bam, instant reset. I am going to try and call Verizon tomorrow and see about a warranty replacement. Its the only thing I can think of.

vinu_h

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a reboot yesterday. Inserted an SD which the phone immediately rejected; but strangely it was accessible from Nokia Music.I then connected a bluetooth headset and played music from the SD. That was a bit too much for the phone and it rebooted.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed after the portico update sometimes my Bluetooth will cause my phone to reboot. Not a big deal for me it has only happened a few times.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
No idea if this will help anyone else, but just in case, these are my suggestions that helped the lockups I had every few hours for a day after the update. I've had no problems since. Check to see if turning off Wifi while in sleep mode helps things and make sure your apps are up to date, some may be causing interference and the updates can help to resolve the problems.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I will try suggestions. I am having lots of problems with more lockups now than before the update. Seems all again bluetooth related. I requested a replacement phone via Verizon.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I will try suggestions. I am having lots of problems with more lockups now than before the update. Seems all again bluetooth related. I requested a replacement phone via Verizon.

I don't use bluetooth, so I can't help you there. But the lockups I had were odd because I was someone who had very few problems, so the day of the update was many more lockups than I'd ever had before.

Mootch

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had two 822 devices since November, and they both had this issue where the screen would stay black when I tried to unlock the phone or they would randomly reboot. I have tried a device exchange (that's why I had two), system reset, and SIM card exchange. It froze up this morning after my SIM card exchange yesterday. The only other option I can think of to try is sending it to Nokia. I went to a Microsoft store recently and they said they would exchange it for an 8X if I can't get it fixed.

Keith Beck

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had a problem with mine locking or the screen gonig dark with the phone actually still active (i.e. alarm will go off, but screen is dark) since November. I waited for the update hoping it would help, but it is still doing it. I have noticed it appears ot only do it now while I'm home which is the only place I generally use wifi. It is generally doing it when the phone is sitting idle and not being used. Love the phone, but this is frustrating.

Going to have to do something. This is my alarm clock as well.

YoDaMic

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend's 822 was also freezing since launch day purchase and after a phone replacement, a sim replacement, and portico update. I told her to put it on the charger every night at bedtime to make sure she had a full charge for the next day whether or not there was still 50% battery life. Problem has disappeared. I will update if anything changes.

mjmartin01

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My 822 was having the lock up issue also. I finally sent it to Nokia last week. I just got it back today and it just shut itself off. Obviously Nokia did not fix the problem. I will be contacting them on Monday demanding a replacement.

jana8899

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, just wanted to let you know that this issue has been identified and will be resolved in the next SW update scheduled for early summer. In the meantime, you can pull the battery or hold the volume down button and the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to reboot the phone. We are very sorry about the inconvenience this causes.
Jana at Nokia

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just wanted to let you know that this issue has been identified and will be resolved in the next SW update scheduled for early summer. In the meantime, you can pull the battery or hold the volume down button and the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to reboot the phone. We are very sorry about the inconvenience this causes.
Jana at Nokia

Jana, will the Lumia 928 already have this fix? I assume the two phones are being coded similarly since they have similar specs/internal hardware and both are on verizon cdma (outside of the screen and the camera).

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I have been e-mailing my verizon rep back and forth. After Nokia hung up on my twice and did not respond to my previous attempts. Apparently they have a list of users who have this and other problems....

katiegal

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I never had any issues until the update. Now my phone reboots 2-3 times per day. My oldest son's is doing the same thing as well. We have to pull the battery out to reset them. We're also having issues with the screen going light then dim, then light then dim, etc. All since the update.

SOOOOOO sick of these phones!!!!!!!!!!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I never had any issues until the update. Now my phone reboots 2-3 times per day. My oldest son's is doing the same thing as well. We have to pull the battery out to reset them. We're also having issues with the screen going light then dim, then light then dim, etc. All since the update.

SOOOOOO sick of these phones!!!!!!!!!!!

The light/dim/light/dim issue sounds familiar. I'm thinking there was an issue with the 920 doing this after update, but I don't see it in my 822. If I remember right, WPCentral posted a fix, and I'm thinking it was to go into a dark room and turn on the phone with the lights all off (totally dark), which would recalibrate the light sensor.

(some time goes by)

Yup - I was right.
Lumia 920s suffering from brightness bug with Portico update? Here's a possible fix. | Windows Phone Central

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel