Nokia 822 Random Lock Ups and Reboots?

mikejones2000

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I was having pretty frequent lockups since I've had this phone, seemed to happen at 7 AM every morning, but for the past week the phone has behaved pretty well. Not sure if anything has changed, I don't recall downloading any updates recently.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Straight copy from another thread on crashing 822's. My fix is as stated in the following:

My 822 started freezing and rebooting after the update. I found that it happened when the phone was changing data connection protcols. It started regularly occurring on my drive to work when I passed two areas where LTE drops to wither 3G or Edge. I had previously noticed that I always either had an LTE indication, or no data indication at all. I subsequently checked my cellular phone settings and found two settings that caused these issues. My Mode selection was set to "Global" and my data roaming was set to "do not roam". I changed these settings such that the Mode is now "LTE and CDMA" and the data roaming is now set to "roam" - check that your VZW plan allows data roaming where you are using your phone...most plans do.

Since doing this on the 10th, I have not had a single instance of freezing/rebooting, nor a lost data connection. I now see the 3G and 1x indicators in non-LTE areas, where I would lose data altogether before. I highly suspect that when the cellular settings are not as I noted above, that there is a software glitch causing issues when the phone tries to negotiate between the various data connections; i.e. during the hand offs. I could actually cause my phone to crash when I was attempting to start a stream in Pandora when passing through one of these non-LTE areas, and do so regularly. Check the settings in your phone and see if they are set the way mine were, and, if so, try changing them and see if it works for you. It's a simple check and change with no impact to you unless you leave the country.

There is a patch coming for this issues, according to VZW...specifically the loss of data connection and subsequent crashing.

sabermanX

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Tried contacting Nokia support on Tuesday about whether the Lumia 928 was deployed with the fix. The response was that they couldn't say anything because it had not been released in the USA.

Tried them again today and the response was"
We understand that you would like to know if the Nokia Lumia 928 will have a lock up issue. Please be advised that just like a computer we will not be able to guarantee the behavior of a specific operating system.​

This sounds like the fix was not deployed in the Lumia 928. Now we have to wait and see if some purchasers hit the random lock up problem.

sabermanX

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
It appears to be a combination of hardware and software. The hardware relationship can be deduced from the fact that only some of the Nokia Windows phones of each type have the malfunction and it is unlikely to be different versions of the OS or due to apps as people have reported it with a freshly cleaned phone -- I am one. Since Nokia (or at least a Nokia person) has said that an update to fix the problem will be available this summer it would appear to be a relationship between the hardware and the software. It might be a race condition that occurs on phones that are slightly slower or faster than most.

Most of the reports that I have seen say the problem occurs within the first few days of having the phone. So if you have had your phone for a while without any lock ups it will probably remain lock up free.

AskaLangly

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I take a picture of my 3DS to send via its program (snap pic on phone to snap pic on console to send) and let it sit there. I unlock the phone, then all of a sudden, locked up. Rebooted via Vol Down+Power? CANNOT FIND A BOOTABLE OPTION. Oh damn...
qvJRz84.jpg

kvslab

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Jana at Nokia,

It appears the June release did not fix the intermittent shutdown that occurs most often at night with the Nokia 822 phone on the charger. I have also had the problem during the day. Can we expect some future release to fix the problem or should we just give up and go with android phones?

Catpaw70

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine in December 2012. My freezes up all the time. I will be in the middle of a text and it will freeze. Once I reboot and return to my text, the other person's texts are gone. It freezes when I am switching screens. I had a regional manager of VZN look at it and he tweeked it for me. He told me that if it keeps up I should return it for a new one. The only problem is, I have a voicemail message that I don't want to lose. My father passed last month and I have a message from him. Anyone know how to save that, if possible?

lord dredd

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
well i am having somewhat different problem , my phone shuts down itself when left for idle for a long time , like during the night :(
can anyone help me with this issue .

done all i could think or , flashing old firmware , hard reset , exclamation sign tweak

YoDaMic

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine in December 2012. My freezes up all the time. I will be in the middle of a text and it will freeze. Once I reboot and return to my text, the other person's texts are gone. It freezes when I am switching screens. I had a regional manager of VZN look at it and he tweeked it for me. He told me that if it keeps up I should return it for a new one. The only problem is, I have a voicemail message that I don't want to lose. My father passed last month and I have a message from him. Anyone know how to save that, if possible?

I believe if you hold the camera button down while playing the message it will record. The post I read on this said to turn on your speakerphone. I haven't tried myself but I hope this helps.

sabermanX

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This thread is over eight months old which means the lockup problem has been around at least that long.

It appears neither Microsoft nor Nokia is interested in issuing a fix.

Does anyone have anything from Microsoft or Nokia lately indicating when/if they will fix this problem? The thread entries indicated the begining of the summer and that is long gone.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Starting today, the GDR2 version of WP8 OS and Nokia Amber firmware are available for Lumia 822. Do you still have a problem with those installed?

sabermanX

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I returned my phone as I was still in the trial period. I would to order another Nokia 822 as I liked the phone but couldn't handle the lockups. Can anyone that was having lockups confirm that the GDR2 version cured the problem?

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
My mother's 822 (black) has had intermittent reboot/shutdown issues since the beginning. My father's (black), my grandmother's (white), and mine (grey) do not. I have discovered ways of triggering the lockups in the past - activating Bluetooth, shutting it off, and letting the phone lock. So far I have not been able to create a lockup on my mom's phone.

I also have been able to create a lockup on mine through Bluetooth as well. Using the same process with the new Bluetooth stack, I have been unable to cause the lockup that I could create 100% of the time on my phone.

From talking with Nokia and Verizon in the past, it is my belief that there's been some problems with the Bluetooth hardware and the stack. It triggers lockups even if BT is not enabled on some devices. There apparently were other triggers as well that made it more common on some devices and less so on others. The CDMA chipset may play a role.

I'll let you know as the days go by since GDR2 and Amber just hit today, but so far the update is promising. Nokia offered to replace the phone at no cost in the past, but they were also honest in not guaranteeing that the replacement would not have the same issues. They told us they were working on it, but at any time they would be willing to send out a new phone. The whole time they were concerned about my mom's needs. It's their first time doing a CDMA smartphone, so it won't be flawless. But their honesty and commitment to making it right was endearing. My mom decided to wait it out because it wasn't so bad as her lockups always occurred when she put the phone in lock mode.

Keep the fingers crossed, but the problem may be solved. And the GDR2 and Amber improvements are also well worthwhile.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Update.

After 48 hours and Bluetooth being on the whole time (also interacting with the car's BT system), the phone has had ZERO lockups. The battery life has also improved. Usually it would have had at least one lock up in that period. So far, so good.

ikrish

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
try to play some games, internet or using 5-6 apps for a while and see if it triggers the freezing. Many people will be glad, if the freezing problem is solved in this update. i once had an iphone with some bug like this freezing, apple addressed it within a month and fixed it. This case its been more than half a year and ppl are not sure whether this has been solved or not for sure.

Last edited:

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
try to play some games, internet or using 5-6 apps for a while and see if it triggers the freezing. Many people will be glad, if the freezing problem is solved in this update. i once had an iphone with some bug like this freezing, apple addressed it within a month and fixed it. This case its been more than half a year and ppl are not sure whether this has been solved or not for sure.

You are saying this as if everyone had this problem. The answer is nope, they did not. That being said I hope it is fixed too...

sabermanX

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This case its been more than half a year and ppl are not sure whether this has been solved or not for sure.
One of the problems is that neither Nokia nor Microsoft will say that the last release included a fix for the lockup problem. Because even if it fixed the lockup problem but it was a coincidence instead of by design the next release could bring it back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos