Verizon retail store experience + questions about unlocking and warranty void

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So,

I visited Verizon retail store in bay area, california.
At entrance, first wall display was Android phones, then next wall-iphone and last wall- WP. Hardly anyone would notice them unless they came
looking for WP or were checking out whole store.
Then at WP wall, Lumia 822-black and white were both had screen turned off(time out) whereas HTC 8X was running a demo video in loop.
Wonder, if Verizon did that purposely. (Keeping screen time outs on Lumias). Also both lumias has some stains(velcro stick marks),while 8x didn't have any.

Also, I engaged in a conversation with a sales staff for iphone5.(I was checking WP while someone came out to help me).
After, having a detailed discussion about iphone5, he told me that verizon iphone comes unlocked, so you are good to put any gsm sim card.

But for WP, I have to wait for 3 months for unlocking and then if Verizon gives me an unlock code, and if I unlock my WP, then warranty is void.
But, if you get it unlocked from a third party, then warranty is not void. He said, same thing applies for android phones.

This is what is fishy and sounds totally incorrect to me- his warranty claims. What do you guys think? Anyone with Verizon/WP experience?

Thanks.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I would ask the questions online, with the chat function on verizonwireless, so you can get the answer in writing. It doesn't sound like I'd trust this guy any farther than I could throw him, and I see a chiropractor quite regularly.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was aware of that - it's the responses about the Lumia and the warranty that leave me not trusting. Have Verizon unlock it and it voids the warranty or have a third party do it and it doesn't.... Does that sound above board? Me says no.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Why exactly would getting an unlock code for GSM (international) use void a warranty. The rep was clearly clueless since I have asked for and received unlock codes on previous Verizon smartphones and have never been told it would void my warranty. In fact when you order your phone online with world phone capabilities it asks you if you are going to use it for international use so they can clearly provision the phone or account and that if you answer no you can always change it later. Seems fishy to me.

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
verizon 8x can be use with att or tmobile. Apparently it comes unlock too.There is an article about that here in WP Central. You can google it

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You know its funny you say Bing It, because I was searching for something one day on Google and couldn't find it, went to Bing and poof what I needed came right up. It was so comical.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Given this thread's results, I'd say that it is unlocked (otherwise the StraightTalk SIM wouldn't work). This does NOT mean that you can get it onto Sprint or any of the MVNOs that use Verizon's network (are there any left?), as having it unlocked on the GSM side is no guarantee of the CDMA being unlocked - I'd say this will require more experimentation, but we now have a report of success with a non-Verizon SIM card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans