Checked Out The 822 and HTC 8X In Person Today...

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I really wish people would stop speaking for the mythical average user and drop the "most people think" comments. The only thing about which you can be assured when it comes to the subject of what most people think is that they are not you. You are speaking about what YOU THINK and no one else....

I can actually see a difference, but I am not the average user. So it's hardly what I think, it's what I observe.

Why do DVDs still sell at a decent clip and people watch them on their HD TVs despite the lower quality due to upscaling?

People tend to be more responsive to sound quality than visual quality and price plays a role. This goes back to the Beta-VHS wars of the 1980s. Beta had the better picture, VHS had higher storage capacity and tended towards better audio - and it was a better value because of multiple manufacturers.

The 822 will move more phones than the 8X. That's because the average person is less aware about resolution and more aware about functionality. The 822 will win people over because it is quicker, is cheaper, is expandable, and has a lot of great exclusive apps.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Not me! Just picked up my 8x today. Just looking at the screens was a dead give away. The 8x is absolutely gorgeous with such a thin and light feel!

Been playing with it for a few hours. My screen has the issue where it goes crazy here and there and my flash doesn't work so I'll be changing it out tomorrow or the day after!

Have noticed black bars on the top and bottom for some apps. Hope that changes!

Other than that, I'm in love!

phonefight

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have to be honest...as much as I love Windows phone (bought an HD7 on release day) the Lumia 822 let me down. After owning the Surface for a little over a month, I wanted to see how the "ecosystem" experience would feel. Unfortunately, after anxiously waiting for my 822 to arrive, the excitement is sort of gone.

I am coming from a plethora of high end android phones, along with the iPhone 5. The first thing that stood out to me was the resolution. I usually don't care, but my last 3 phones have had an HD screen, so that's probably why it jumped out at me. The next thing that I always check when getting a new phone is the camera. The camera is just ok on this phone. The camera took pics as though it were a low to mid ranged phone. Flash feels delayed, and the focus for the first shot takes pretty long. Unless you have great lighting, the camera is pretty disappointing.

The build is decent, but the plastic feel is a turn off. I have the white, which feels slippery in the hand.

I wanted to go exchange it for the 8X, but the 822 sort of put a damper on the way I feel about Windows Phone. I think, just because of my prior phone background, I should have bought the 8X first. Now I just don't know how to feel about Windows Phone.

If I exchange for the HD screen and end up not satisfied, I am out of chances to exchange/return. I was really hoping for a Windows Phone to compliment my Surface.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I have to be honest...as much as I love Windows phone (bought an HD7 on release day) the Lumia 822 let me down. After owning the Surface for a little over a month, I wanted to see how the "ecosystem" experience would feel. Unfortunately, after anxiously waiting for my 822 to arrive, the excitement is sort of gone.

I am coming from a plethora of high end android phones, along with the iPhone 5. The first thing that stood out to me was the resolution. I usually don't care, but my last 3 phones have had an HD screen, so that's probably why it jumped out at me. The next thing that I always check when getting a new phone is the camera. The camera is just ok on this phone. The camera took pics as though it were a low to mid ranged phone. Flash feels delayed, and the focus for the first shot takes pretty long. Unless you have great lighting, the camera is pretty disappointing.

The build is decent, but the plastic feel is a turn off. I have the white, which feels slippery in the hand.

I wanted to go exchange it for the 8X, but the 822 sort of put a damper on the way I feel about Windows Phone. I think, just because of my prior phone background, I should have bought the 8X first. Now I just don't know how to feel about Windows Phone.

If I exchange for the HD screen and end up not satisfied, I am out of chances to exchange/return. I was really hoping for a Windows Phone to compliment my Surface.

Just go ahead and get the 8X.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I checked out the 822 at a Verizon corporate store inside a mall today. The clerk had to go in the back and grab one from a box to show me because the store had none on display. I liked the form factor but didn't see the display; I didn't want to bother the clerk through booting up a phone I had no intention of buying today. BTW, this corporate store had ZERO Windows Phone posters or anything. It was like pre-WP8.

hitdog042

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the 822 for a week. I loved it. But the display was noticeable. Big time. Especially when you pinch zoom on pics (blurry) or text (ragged).

What I loved was the speed. The Nokia apps are wonderful. I really wanted to keep it but my eyes could not adjust from my S3 graphics.

So I still want wp8. I am checking out the 8x today but my fear is it may be too big for me. I'm getting rid of the s3 because of that reason. It's too big. I'm clumsy and drop it sometimes.

I wish Verizon had a 922. Then it's a no brainier for me.

I'll post my opinion of the 8x after I check it out.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Went to get the wife a new 822 two weeks ago but she ended up with a free 8x due to best buy employee not knowing the difference. Long story for a different thread.

So two days ago I get the 822 for free with intentions of swapping with her because she couldn't care less. This is her first smart phone.

Therefore I've played with both extensively side by side. I'm not swapping her unless she asks because I am loving the 822! Definitely pros and cons either way but if I HAD to pick one and both were same price... I'd probably pick the 822.

Don't get me wrong, the 8x is gorgeous and the screen is sharp. I'd be more than happy with that one. Though I am annoyed to have ordered a screen protector for it because its already scratched from GENTLE use. After abusing my naked D3 for 18 months without a scratch this is annoying! Hoping the body holds up ok otherwise what is the point of having to entomb such a beauty in a case?

The 822 just feels like a workhorse and I'm not as paranoid about babying it. I also think it feels better in hand with the curved corners and personally prefer the wider screen.

Screens: I've always liked the cartoonish bright amoled look and the blacks are deeper which makes the bezel disappear more on the 822. Next to each other the 8x blacks look grey. But 8x is sharper. Only time I notice is with small text and even then it's not a huge diff.

Buttons: I prefer the power button on the 822. I think the reviews exaggerated the difficulty of 8x buttons but 822's are definitely better.

Camera: I don't care about things like noise, color reproduction, etc that camera nerds refer to in all these reviews. So I can't say if 8x is way better but its probably moderately better. Both phones can take a pic within 2 seconds of coming out of my pocket. The photos look fine to me.

Front camera widescreen cam is great on the 8x. If you Skype then this is a big deal.

If you value pocket ability then 8x practically disappears in a front jean pocket. As a guy, that is probably my favorite thing about it.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if removable battery and expandable memory are that important. It is comforting to know that I can get a new battery if this one goes downhill before my next new phone. I don't watch video on my phone and all my music, photos, and docs are in cloud. I just sync individual folders, playlists, and albums when wanted so 16gb is probably enough. Though again, it's comforting to know I can throw in a 64gb card and have ALL of it on my phone.... Not that I should,but I could. 😊

After using the 'midrange' 822, I can't think of another phone I'd trade it for at any price. Maybe the 920 but I'm on Verizon and this one is a fine 'compromise'.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the 822 for a week. I loved it. But the display was noticeable. Big time. Especially when you pinch zoom on pics (blurry) or text (ragged).

What I loved was the speed. The Nokia apps are wonderful. I really wanted to keep it but my eyes could not adjust from my S3 graphics.

So I still want wp8. I am checking out the 8x today but my fear is it may be too big for me. I'm getting rid of the s3 because of that reason. It's too big. I'm clumsy and drop it sometimes.

I've fondled the 8x extensively and can tell you it feels very small compared to screen size. The tapered edges make a big difference and you practically forget it's in your pocket!

Though compared to 822 I am more nervous about dropping the 8x. The soft touch finish has really good friction but the shear thinness made me afraid it slip out of my hand several times over a couple years of use. I wouldn't even think about making it my daily driver without phone insurance!

hitdog042

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
OK. So I've had the 8x for a week. Screen is better. By far. Battery is just as good too.

My only knock now is wp8. The lack of Google is killing me. No spotify. Ugh. Notifications work only sometimes.

Use Google voice? Good luck knowing if you have a voice mail. The 3rd party app is terrible.

This ecosystem won't survive and if they can't get mainstream apps. The phone itself won't matter.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
OK. So I've had the 8x for a week. Screen is better. By far. Battery is just as good too.

My only knock now is wp8. The lack of Google is killing me. No spotify. Ugh. Notifications work only sometimes.

Use Google voice? Good luck knowing if you have a voice mail. The 3rd party app is terrible.

This ecosystem won't survive and if they can't get mainstream apps. The phone itself won't matter.

Not sure. Could also be that Google won't survive once people realize that they use all their services to spy on you and feed info to advertisers.

As for Spotify, it was on WP7, so I'm sure they are working on WP8 - but Spotify is slow to release these things. I don't really care since Xbox Music is much better IMHO and will soon have apps on Android and, maybe, iPhone.

I have had zero issues with Notifications.

Not sure why anyone uses Google Voice. I trust Google not at all with my personal info and don't want them rooting around my voicemail and listening in on my phone calls.

When the CEO of the company brags that they know when you wake up, know when you go to bed, know where you work, know what you eat, know what you buy, etc - that's some scary stuff.

Microsoft at least creates products I can buy. Heck, so does Apple. Google is nothing more than an advertising company that builds services and apps to gather more information about you that they can sell so people can pester you. Android's just another part of the plan. Wouldn't be surprised if they give governments a lot of info either.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Google, I try use as little as possible. Spotify, nope. I prefer to keep my music locally. Notifications work fine.

Google voice? Nope don't use it either. I have voice mail thru Verizon.

Mainstream apps? Good grief, give WP8 some time. It's a new os.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Get rid of your Google crap and your problem will be fixed.

phantom404

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I just checked out the 8x as well in store. Feels alot better in my hand compared to the 822 imo, a lot lighter as well. Its to bad I'm past my return date or else I would take back the 822 and all the wireless charging accessories and get the 8x.

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Checked out the 822 as well as a 8X at the local best buy. I have to say, the 822 screen is just a treat. The AMOLED panel is just beautiful to look at. The 8X screen just looked pale in comparison. I set the brightness to medium on both and set the same theme and compared them. Both my wife and loved the 822 screen. Sure its lower resolution but it just dint bother us at all. I wanted to check out some websites to see how much better text would look on the 8X panel, but some prankster had changed the keyboard to Arabic and for some reason the phone wouldn't let me change the language back to English from the settings menu. If something better doesnt show up by Feb, I guess 822 it is.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And we see from the comments going both directions (8x and 822), there needs to be more than one phone, because we don't all have the same priorities. It's a good thing we have an OS that doesn't box us into a single model of phone. :wink:

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I opted to get the 822 over the 8x for two reasons, expandable memory and a battery I can swap out if needed. I had a Trophy, pretty good phone and almost cracked it open to expand the memory. At the moment you can't get a 32GB WP on Verizon and that sucks, but its a key interest of mine and I am hoping Nokia delivers something along those lines in the spring on Verizon but with expandable memory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett