My experience with my 822 good and bad

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello after having trouble with verzon stores and 3 best buys, i findaly found a corporate sore who really wanted me to help me.

i had 21 months left on my contract from my samsung gs3 so i went into the store planning to purchase the 822 outright butthe gentleman said that they get more money if we dont purchase it outright. but as a high value customer (we have 7 verizon lines all 7 have the same contract length) heand his manager would give us an upgrade that would extend our contract another 6months but for $470 total after taxes they would give me the phone, 2 Jambox wireless speakers a black one and a red one, a choice of the otterbox, or the choice of 3 gell cases for the 822, and a screen protector. he said that if he sold the phone outright the corporate store would get almost nothing but if he rang us up with those items and gave amanagerial high value upgrade with the 6 month extension on thier contract verizon would make some money on that. for me extending my phones contract by 6 month didnt bother me and i have to say my wife loves using one of the speakers at work with her samsung galaxy s3 and i have the other in my office.

so that experience was great!

For the phone i will list my likes and dislikes.

1. LOVE how smooth the tile system is
2. LOVE how easy it is to get to the file within the phone
3. Was worried about the lower resolution on the screen being an issue but i love how well it looks watching video and reading books, i realized on a fabulous screen resolution doesnt mean much
4. for a phone the sound was grea and i couldnt block the speaker easily lwith my hand like i did with the htc 8x and my SGS3!
5. Love that i can turn the brightness down to a leval that it doesnt hurt my photosensative eyes at night before only the iphone could get down to a low enough to not be uncomfortable.
6. i like ie10 better than the various android browsers ive used and safari on my wifes ipad.
7. i like that for the first time with the desktop app im able to easily synch my itunes library to my phone!.
8. love most all of the nokia made apps,
now here are the things i dislike,

1.the slacker app, has alot less features and alot less stable than the android version and my wifes ios version.
2.the facebook experience with the 4 different facebook apps i tried and microsofts people hub really bite.
3.almost every you tube clone ive tired bites big time and unstable the only stable decent one i found was metro tube.
4.no good pintrest app the 3 clones i tried were very limmited in function and stability.
5 Amazon's kindle app is missing half of the feature of android and even more from ios. there is no dictionary look up feature, there is no anotation feature, no highlighting feature, no font choices. pretty much all basic functions of just about every ereader app out there besides googles sucky book app.
6. no hulu plus, no hbo 2go, (altho the netflix app works good)
7. xboxlive app frequently lockes up or crashed when trying to use it (its actually a common them of most all of the microsoft written apps so far in my experience)
8. this last one is a total deal breaker for me . NONE of the things above were enough to send me after another phone. there is no screen orientation lock. and microsfts support pages official resonse is that it wont be available for customers just a screen orientation available for developers to use in thier kit they buy. ive used ipod touches for 5 years, my 4 android phones, my ipad3, my wife lenovo yoga 13 windows 8 convertable tablet/ultrabook ALL have the ability to lock screen orientation!

for the love of all things electronic who at microsoft things its brilliant idea to prevent orientation locking on the phone to paying customer yet, let developers do it with a kit, or alow windows 8 tablets, windows rt tablets to lock orientation!

because i read in bed on my phone weather im at home or on a buisness trip the ability to NOT lock the orientation on my phone like just about every other electronic device on the planet. im forced to return this great phone and pay somoene else my good money. perhaps in a year or two microsoft will fix this but upon loking at various posts here and other places, screen orientation has been asked for on win phone 7 , win phone 7.5 devices and now in win phone 8 devices and not there. i most likely will be waiting for a while.

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
What didn't you like about the GS 3 ?

Too bright for my eyes at night, on the lowest settings it can still be used as a flashlight around the house. it doesnt dim anywhere as low as my old SGS2 or my older Motorola electrify (on a different carrier) plus i was tired of messing with android i never cared for the whole "customizing" of the system nor the instability. frankly i was hoping that windows 8 was gonna be like IOS but with a lil more flexability. and imho i think given some time the apps will be better, and i was willing to wait it out. but the fact that unlike just about any other phone/tablet out there you can lock the screen orientation but i cannot do that with windows phone despite it being a commonly requested function for the last 3 generations of windows phone and microsofts official response on the support forums as of last week is that they have no plans of adding this feature. im quite disapointed.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's a valid complaint for sure. As much as I love WP8, I just don't get why it takes MS so long to implement certain simple features. All we can do is hope, I guess...

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If MS doesn't add the simple features soon it will hurt the future

Yeah what i dont get is that a screen orientation lock isnt a complicated feature, its provided by just about every electronic device made as a basic feature and its a feature that microsoft has built into windows rt and windows 8 desktop, for tablets and other touch screens. but why thier official stance is that they wont have that "feature" in the near future despite the fact that if looking on microsofts suggestion box they have suggestions all over the place with hundreds and thousands of votes for this function for 3 different generations of the phone os, i have no clue who thinks its a bad idea on the phone, i really wanted to like this OS and was willing to deal with sub par apps or clones of apps that i liked on ios/android for all the other "promise" that it showed but there are a few very basic and intuitive functions they completly leave out that arent impossible or hard to include.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
+1 to the OP on orientation lock. I also use my phone in bed, and I have to either hold it up so my arms get tired after a while or lay it flat on the bed beside me so I have to lay in an uncomfortable position. Please MS give us the OPTION at least!!

Not enough to make me switch, though...

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So, you're returning your phone? Sorry if that is the case.

Not sure if you just wanted to post your experience or if you are looking for solutions, but it sounds like you have basically zero complaints about the 822, but have a problem with some of the functionality of WP8. If you are looking for solutions, you might want to post in the WP8 forum or in Apps to see about getting ideas that might make it work better for you if you are indeed trying to stick with the 822. For instance, there are browser and reader apps that allow you to lock the screen orientation which you might find helpful.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally I have never had the screen orientation change on me at an inconvenient time. It must be an issue for some because I have heard it many times. I use SuperTube for you tube. It looks and works great.

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Well my wife and i are gonna keep working on it for the rest of our "trial" period because there ARE alot of things we REALLY love about it! .. we have discussed getting a ipod touch 5 to use as a nightime e-reader. i can definatly say metro tube is quite a bit better than the other you tube apps out there. we both find that the 822 is the perfect size for both of us (we find the GS3 too large and her old iphone 4's 3.5 inch screen too small the 4.3 inch screen on the 822 feels just right.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So basically apps are your main issue. That's the issue with a lot of people. I remember when android and iphone were brand new it took a while for them to get good apps too. Just be patient if you are willing to stick with it. If not, it's a "known issue" with WP and really the only think I don't like about WP. But everything else is just too fantastic to give up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans