Just ordered wireless charging charging cover / plate for the 822.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Could you post a pick of the two side-by-side? I am curious about the contacts. I ordered a black and grey 822 on Friday and am excited to get them.

Sure thing :) All pic's are taken with my 822!

Wireless charging back on the right.
2prb3aa.jpg

w2qug.jpg

9rn6m1.jpg

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh and NFC does not have to be enabled for it to work.

But has anybody figured out what you can do with NFC and the charger? My AT&T charging stand arrived today, and if I place the phone horizontally on the charging stand, it puts up a message: "Search for App? You need an app to do this. Would you like to look for one in the Windows store?"

Need an app to do what?, I wonder. Well, why not find out? I press the "search button." Ms. 822 says she's loading available apps, but soon gives me the bad news, "Sorry, no apps found."

So maybe there's the potential for doing really cool stuff, but what?. But the phone does charge, giving me back functionality I always had with my Palm Pre. Unlike the Pre, the display doesn't stay lighted when it's on the stand, which would be nice to have as an option.

Btw, I think the black back on a gray 822 looks like it was made for the phone. The charging back feels a little less slippery than the original one, though the differences aren't dramatic.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
But has anybody figured out what you can do with NFC and the charger? My AT&T charging stand arrived today, and if I place the phone horizontally on the charging stand, it puts up a message: "Search for App? You need an app to do this. Would you like to look for one in the Windows store?"

Need an app to do what?, I wonder. Well, why not find out? I press the "search button." Ms. 822 says she's loading available apps, but soon gives me the bad news, "Sorry, no apps found."

So maybe there's the potential for doing really cool stuff, but what?. But the phone does charge, giving me back functionality I always had with my Palm Pre. Unlike the Pre, the display doesn't stay lighted when it's on the stand, which would be nice to have as an option.

Btw, I think the black back on a gray 822 looks like it was made for the phone. The charging back feels a little less slippery than the original one, though the differences aren't dramatic.

You could have it go to a weather app, a clock app, etc.

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
It seems some users with the 920 are having issues with the charging and having to soft reset their phone. Any 822s having this issue?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds cool, but I'd need some kind of app -- maybe a snippet of whatever code NFC can digest -- to do that. Is there guidance anywhere on how to do that?

I'd be curious about this too. Just set mine up and it charges fine, but when trying the NFC it tells me I need an app, but a search says no apps are available. I have plenty of apps that should work, so I don't really know what to do at this point.

jmk1127

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you notice that the back if the phone gets significantly hotter when wirelessly charging as compared to charging with a cable?

I've noticed that and wonder if its just me.

Also I saw in this post that the phone stops charging when full....is this true?

ColorblindNinja

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Could you post a pic of the black on gray? I'd like to see what it looks like before ordering one.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you notice that the back if the phone gets significantly hotter when wirelessly charging as compared to charging with a cable?

I've noticed that and wonder if its just me.

Also I saw in this post that the phone stops charging when full....is this true?

It gets warm, I'd guess warmer than wired charging but I haven't compared them. Just going off memory. On the wireless stand once it's fully charged it does feel cool to pick up, so it must stop charging or at least do trickle charging.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It gets warm, I'd guess warmer than wired charging but I haven't compared them. Just going off memory. On the wireless stand once it's fully charged it does feel cool to pick up, so it must stop charging or at least do trickle charging.

Mine gets slightly warm right in the area where the contacts are embedded in the back, but it's barely noticeable.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would expect it to generate at least some extra warmth in addition to what you'd normally get. One of the losses through inductive transfer is through heat. Put your hand on the large part of your laptop adapter when it's been used for a while. That's heat generated by inductive transfer - the transformer in the box. It's a much larger coil than what's in the phone and the charging plate, but also the phone/charging plate has more insulation between the coils, so I'm thinking there's going to have to be more current flow to get the same charging rate. That would lead to the charging plate being warmer, and since the phone is in contact, it is going to end up warmer through conductive heat transfer. No surprise, and nothing I'd get concerned about, provided it doesn't get hot enough that you can't handle it (or something close to that).

WinDude

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
FYI, the black charging cover is WAY less slippery than the original white. Almost has a kind of rubbery feel to it. Big improvement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss