Should I trade my Galaxy S3 for a Lumia 822?

Haxcid

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
The GS3 I think over all is probably a better phone. Better screen res and all. Comes down to how badly you want to switch off android. I personally would not trade a GS3 for an 822 straight across, an 8x yes but the 822 as great as it is probably not. But that is just me.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the option of any new phone...and I went with the Nokia 822. I have a Galaxy Nexus too. I think the Lumia will be my new daily driver.

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
As the title suggests, someone locally is willing to trade me his brand new 822 for my used GS3 in a straight up trade. Should I do it?

Thanks!

I sold my SSG3 and got the 822 I am so glad I did. No regrest what so ever. The SSG3 started to run slow so The speed on the Lumia 822 is AMAZING. I am Very Happy

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what is important to you.

For me the two biggest things are OS and Battery. Andrid is a trainwreck and I agree with schartzr, after a while Android just gets worse and worse... slower and slower, laggier and laggier. I would find myself factory resetting my GS3 once a month because it just got so loaded with garbage from apps and what not. You cannot safely browse and download and play with apps. You just don't know what you are going to get.

Battery-wise I get better life on my 822 - Easy.

But if you love android then stick with it. It really is a personal preference sort of choice and if you want my opinion - the WP8 OS blows anything Android out of the water. The 822 does have a lower res screen so if you have to have a high-res screen than that may affect your choice. It's really the only "downside" to the 822 for me and it's not that big of an issue to me.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies guys! Sorry my post was so short and didn't include much detail. I am at work and was just about to step out for a meeting.

In a nutshell, I currently have the GS3 and have been on Android exclusively for the past several years. I kind of just want a change and something a bit more simple and smooth. I went into a Microsoft store the other night and was playing with the 8X. I really liked the OS from what I saw. The only thing about the 8X that worries me is the battery life.

If I do this, I also thought that the GS3 is more valuable than the 822. What do you guys think would be a fair trade?

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a good trade if you are interested in getting the Lumia 822. I disagree with the assessment above about 8X would be a yes and 822 a no. You mentioned your SG3 is used, based on current market value alone, a new 822 and a used Galaxy S3 are close to the same price, though the 822 would probably cost a bit more if purchased retail, so either way, I'd say the one with the brand new 822 is getting the better end of the trade. I live in a big city, S3's are listed frequently on Craiglist and range from $250-400 used. With the 822 costing $450 from Verizon and up to $550 elsewhere, it's a great trade as long as you're ready to move away from the S3.

Do you like your Galaxy S3? Are you interested in switching to WP from Android? That's for you to decide. If you're not sure, stop at a Verizon store today to test out the 822 before giving your answer. In terms of is it a sound trade based on cost, yes it is.

ironnmetal

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend is currently rocking an 822 and she has been a huge fan. She converted over from Android, though nothing quite like the GS3. The GS3 is definitely more of a hero phone than the 822 in terms of overall power and features, but in terms of value it's a fair trade. The 822 does not have the highest res screen, but that matters a bit less on a text and color heavy OS like WP. Plus the 822 is a Nokia device, and Nokia support/apps kick the **** out of anything I've seen from Samsung.

My biased opinion is to go for the trade. I think you'll end up way happier than the sucker who wants the GS3.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Great info here, thanks again guys. Another question would be do I wait for the Ativ Odyssey since it has a larger screen and is more GS3 like?

As for do I like my GS3....I really do to be honest. At the same time, I am kind of bored with Android now and am looking for something fresh that isn't iOS. So while I do really love the GS3, it's a great phone, I think it's time to move on to a new OS and WP8 seems great. I have been rooting Android phones for years now and with my GS3 I'm getting to this point where it's almost like work to find a good ROM for it. I kind of want to get something good out of the box and roll with it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920. For Verizon people, even though I love nokia, I suggest the 8X. But if you don't mind an average camera and a decent display, the 822 is the way to go.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a 920. For Verizon people, even though I love nokia, I suggest the 8X. But if you don't mind an average camera and a decent display, the 822 is the way to go.

No offense but since you are obviously with AT&T I have to ask if you have even checked out the 822? The 822 has much better battery life, expandable memory, removeable battery, and the only other difference outside of that is screen resolution and of course form-factor. The 822 is a very underrated device around these forums. But outside of screen resolution what makes you think the 8X is better?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
No offense but since you are obviously with AT&T I have to ask if you have even checked out the 822? The 822 has much better battery life, expandable memory, removeable battery, and the only other difference outside of that is screen resolution and of course form-factor. The 822 is a very underrated device around these forums. But outside of screen resolution what makes you think the 8X is better?

did you read what I fully said? The screen is decent and camera is with everyone else. If you don't mind that, get the 822. If you really need a 720p display, get the 8x.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I would say yes if apps dont mind, right now I am missing some apps (scramble with friends, chase app that works, dropbox, etc.) if apps matter to you I would hold off for a bit, its slim pickings out there still! But as far as this phone goes, the 822 is easily one of the best phones I Have had, battery life everything!

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, today is the day! I need to make a decision today. However, I am still on the fence. Any last minute attempts to push me over?

I plan to go into the Microsoft Store again to play with it for a final time on my lunch break. I understand I won't have the vast amount of apps that I had on my GS3, but I think I am willing to live with that as long as Microsoft takes things serious and releases more apps frequently.

Any other comments/advice? Thanks guys!

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Go with your gut. I've had the S3 and now have the 822. Holding the two at the same time; well there is a lot difference. The 822 feels like a well built Tonka vs the S3 feeling like a balsa wood plane. The build quality on the 822 is far superior to me but that's just my opinion. You have 14 days to return either so give one a try and see what you think.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
did you read what I fully said? The screen is decent and camera is with everyone else. If you don't mind that, get the 822. If you really need a 720p display, get the 8x.

Yes, I read what you said. You didn't say if you need a 720 display, you said you suggest the 8X. I was just wondering why, no mean words here, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything so no need to get defensive. I was just curious.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How was it over lunch? Nice that you live/work near a Microsoft Store, the one in my region is poorly located so I haven't taken the trip down to where it is. How many times have you been to experiment with the 822? Have you been more certain each time you've tested it out?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo