Anomalous Battery Drain

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For the most part, the battery life in my 822 is stellar. I usually get the the end of the day with 55-75% life left. However, once in a while, maybe once every 10 days or so, the battery drains much more rapidly and barely gets to the end of the day without shutting down. The device gets warm when this is happening, indicating to me that something is cranking away in the background.

I'm wondering if others experience this, and have they correlated it with anything in particular. In my case, it appears to happen after apps get updated (though I haven't been able to tie it to a particular app.

I've also noticed that if this happens and the phone gets warm, that if I reboot, the battery drain stops.

Any other observations?

Thanks,

Jim

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having very poor battery performance. I ran the WP Bench app for battery and got 2 hours and 34 minutes. Have you run that and if so, what were your results? Thanks.

Gary

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Certain apps might be effecting it, background tasks running also. After I unchecked "Connect to Xbox" my battery life has been insane with a bunch of usage.

luke6494

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
wow its really weird that you say this. i had this problem this morning. dropped from 98 to 75 like a rock. it was warm to the touch. i pulled the battery and put it back in and it is fine now. i got the extras update yesterday too so i thought maybe that had to do with it. i also turned off my connect to xbox. seems ok now. im watching it like a hawk

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
When you notice a drop, go into Settings, then swipe over to 'applications,' then select 'background tasks.'

Those are the apps that have permission to run in the background. Do you see any in that list that are running? That could be the culprit. So far Nokia Drive is the thing I've had an issue with. If you don't close out of it when youre done with it, it will run forever.

Unfortunatly that doesn't cover the 1st party apps like mail and music and stuff....

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
wow its really weird that you say this. i had this problem this morning. dropped from 98 to 75 like a rock. it was warm to the touch. i pulled the battery and put it back in and it is fine now. i got the extras update yesterday too so i thought maybe that had to do with it. i also turned off my connect to xbox. seems ok now. im watching it like a hawk

Did you get the extras update through the code posted on the forums? If so, did you leave NFC on by accident? That will drain your battery everytime it seems and it's easy to forget that you turned it on to scan.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm being pretty diligent about closing apps, rather than just heading back to the start screen. I've done nothing with NFC, so could have turned it on by accident, does a reboot turn it off? The extras+info updates seem to be a culprit, the two of those that have come through correlate with warm device and battery drain afterwards. But that's not the only time.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Whenever you get updates for apps, they will start again in your background tasks so keep an eye on that.

Almost.... The app has to run before a background task can be instantiated. So while an update can reset defaults that a developer sets (depending, as usual, on how he wrote the app), the app has to be launched in order for those defaults do anything. If you don't start the app, an update won't do a thing. The exception would be something like the Extras or something else in the settings area, where it's something that runs without our being able to do anything about it.

@tk-093 - you don't have to wait for a time when the phone is running warm to check for background tasks. Those aren't going to just change. The only time an app can change those is if that app has been opened.

Also it should be of note that if you don't run an app for 14 days its background task will expire, and it won't run anymore. If you have an app with live tile, and you watch the live tile for info, but you never open the app, and suddenly it stops working, this may be the culprit. Open the app, close it, and then watch to see if it starts working again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99