Any regrets with the 822

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
So I'm looking to pick up a white Nokia 822 for Verizon but everyone is saying No :( Now I am paying almost full price for it. I played with one from Verizon and I liked the way it felt in my hands. I do have an HTC 8x (which I'm keeping) but I kinda wanna try the Nokia. What do you al think of the 822. Pros, Cons, ect

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know who is saying no. The 822 seems to be the best reviewed of all the WP's. I would get one in a heartbeat if I could. From my research the main negatives are slow first shot focus on the camera and not the best sound from the speakers.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've had mine for a month and am very happy. It's been pretty trouble free and I have three other business users that have one without trouble. I think mine may have rebooted a couple of times in the month, but otherwise very smooth and stable. Use a Class 10 microsd card and it will be fast with pictures and videos. Battery life is very good; all day for me with regular/moderate use and most things on (wi-fi, data, push emails, live tiles). Screen is great outdoors and it's pretty durable, so far. Dropped it several times and once onto hard blacktop where it bounced several times. Great phone for me.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
u cant beat it for the full price $449.99 price tag, im in the same situation im gonna wait til february or march tho because of the mwc in february and nokia is teasing of a new flagship verizon phone to be announced in february. i may just get the 822 then sell it and get whatever new phone they bringing....the wait is killing me i want wp8 now

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just read it. I really liked the way it felt in my hand at Verizon. I'm just waiting for the right one to pop up on eBay. There is one for $320 but he doesn't have a picture of it. Its just a generic pic, but he says its in good condition. Then there is one with good pics but he wants $400. I've emailed the guy with the $320 one for more pics but haven't heard anything yet

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up on launch day, and I have no regrets at all. I came up from the Trophy, and I'm glad I did. Yes, there have been a few problems - I've experienced reboots and lockups - and I have figured out that they have all been associated with being linked to bluetooth at the time of the lockup, so I'm convinced it's tied to a bug in the bluetooth stack, which I'm sure will be addressed in the upcoming Portico update. It's the first time I've ever used LTE, and wow.... Tethering my laptop, I've gotten nearly 20MBPS down and more than 10 MBPS up. As for the OS, I was sold on it two years ago, so I'm not sure where to even begin. I like the refresh, the ability to resize the tiles is great for me. Kid's Corner solves the recently-discovered problem of the grandson installing games that we'd never let him play on my wife's Trophy, then uninstalling them so that no one would know he'd done it. He didn't know that there was a purchase history online.... Hehehehe.... You're busted, kid.

The backup features are handy - I hard-reset my phone twice last weekend, and let it reinstall all of the apps without having to do it myself like I did with WP7. That was nice. It would still be nice to have app data backed up, too, but hey, one step at a time, right?

But I guess some of these are OS things I'm telling you, when you've used the 8x, so you know those.... So to compare the differences between phones.... I've not used an 8x, but I compared them in the store. To me, I like the screen on the Lumia better. The resolution is lower, but unless they're side by side, I don't see the difference in that regard. What I do see is blacker blacks. I also realize that they have the same size battery and this one can be changed, while that one can't, and this screen has fewer pixels (less power) and a lower power using technology, so overall the two phones, used side by side, for exactly the same purposes, the Lumia will last longer on a charge.

The app exclusives, to me, are a big thing. I do use Nokia Drive, and while some complain about it, it hasn't "steered" me wrong yet (pun intended). There are other apps as well that I use, too, and the photobeamer app is nifty. Not one you'll use every day, but if you want to show off your pictures to a friend, there's nothing like taking their computer to www.photobeamer.com, opening the app on your phone, pointing the camera at the QR code, and showing the pics from your phone on their computer screen at a larger size. That's nifty! I've used the Nokia Music (free music) a good bit, and like that you can download the streams for offline listening (no data use), and city lens is cool too (nice for in big cities especially, but can be used elsewhere as well). I'm not sure what the difference is with the Nokia version of Groupon or Foursquare, and just the other day they put out Nokia Xpress, an app for reducing data use by compressing and saving pages for offline reading, which I have only tinkered with a bit so far. There are others that I haven't used yet, as well, but they do have a good cadence going for the updates, as well.

I did have a problem with recording video to a 64GB Class 10 card, but I discovered that if I switched the settings to record to the phone before recording video then it records smoothly (just remember to switch back to recording to the card after I'm done with video), no problems at all. Less storage, so shorter recording times, of course, but I don't record much video, so for me that's fine. I haven't tinkered to see if there were any solutions for recording successfully to the card, since I'm also hoping that they solve that one with the update.

Other than those glitches, no complaints, and I don't regret going with the 822 over the 8x at all. My only regret is that Verizon doesn't have a 9xx or higher yet, but if you look in the upcoming forum, you'll see MacPhisto and Honestabebread telling of what they hear is coming, and it's definitely going to get good by Easter. :grin:

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I like mine a lot.

There are only few things that bother me:

The scrolling isn't as smooth as my Trophy. When I first put my thumb down on the screen it jumps ever so slightly in the opposite direction of scrolling. Not a huge problem, but slightly annoying to me.

Speaker isn't great for music, but it does its job.

No syncing with Zune (though this is a WP8 problem).

No group texting, but it's not a huge deal.

That's about it.

I love the Nokia apps, and the screen looks great when watching video, though resolution could be better for text. It's a great phone overall.

I definitely don't regret buying it.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love my 822. I'm dealing with that stupid black screen/rebooting thing occassionaly but otherwise I have no complaints. I cam from an HTC Arrive and like the Nokia apps and support TONS better than HTC.

BTW: You can group text. Either create a group or you can just enter multiple contacts into the text send to: line.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
BTW: You can group text. Either create a group or you can just enter multiple contacts into the text send to: line.
DOH! It never occurred to me. This is how I did it in my Trophy, and when people said it was gone in the 822, I looked for group texting and didn't see it and figured, yup, no group texting.... Yeah, that's how often I did it - often enough that I'd forgotten all about it! I think I've done it like 4 times in the year and a half that I used my Trophy....

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
DOH! It never occurred to me. This is how I did it in my Trophy, and when people said it was gone in the 822, I looked for group texting and didn't see it and figured, yup, no group texting.... Yeah, that's how often I did it - often enough that I'd forgotten all about it! I think I've done it like 4 times in the year and a half that I used my Trophy....

The problem is when people respond, they come in as individual messages to their respective names (not replying back to the whole group). This is the gripe people have with the "no group texting".

However most of the people that I have come in contact with that wanted to have a group be able to message to the whole group just use the GroupMe app (that way it can include those that dont have smartphones).

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I love my 822. I'm dealing with that stupid black screen/rebooting thing occassionaly but otherwise I have no complaints. I cam from an HTC Arrive and like the Nokia apps and support TONS better than HTC.

You can text to multiple people, but it's not true threaded group texting.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I like my 822, but I miss the camera that I had on the Galaxy S3, or even more the iPhone 4S. That's probably my only issue. I'm pretty excited for the 922 or 1022 or whatever they call it. I will probably get that bad boy when it launches.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The problem is when people respond, they come in as individual messages to their respective names (not replying back to the whole group). This is the gripe people have with the "no group texting".

However most of the people that I have come in contact with that wanted to have a group be able to message to the whole group just use the GroupMe app (that way it can include those that dont have smartphones).

Ah, are you talking about the replies going to everyone?

Now thinking back, on the Trophy, when I texted two people, it stayed together as a text to two recipients in the history. I haven't tried it in the 822. Are you saying that it separates it in the 822?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand, but really, it's not a function I use except for rare occasions.

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ah, are you talking about the replies going to everyone?

Now thinking back, on the Trophy, when I texted two people, it stayed together as a text to two recipients in the history. I haven't tried it in the 822. Are you saying that it separates it in the 822?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand, but really, it's not a function I use except for rare occasions.

yeah apparently the feature of them staying together is unavailable in the verizon WP8. I haven't used the ATT phones, but apparently you can go into the settings and turn on the group chat where they stay together, its defaulted off (this setting is invisible in the verizon phones, i can't find it on my 822).

it'd be nice, but for my purposes, the current method of groups and individual replies is fine. on the rare occasion i need group replies, GroupMe works fine.

phatfield

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I spent hours on several occasions with both phones (822 and 8x) and ended up with the Nokia 822 mainly because of Nokia Drive. I come from a 4 year Android background before moving to a 4s and the thought of going back to a world without voice guided turn-by-turn navigation was too big of a step back. Overall, I LOVE my 822. The main issues I have are really Windows 8 (voice recognition and the lack of voice navigation). I sorely miss Siri - I used it quite a bit to send quick texts and e-mails. I am trying Ziggy now but it is not the same.

Phone-specific issues really only exist with the camera. I have had quite a bit of hands-on time with four 822s (two that I've owned). All have had color balance issues (especially when indoors) and produced images that are too soft in my opinion. I know that I can fix some issues in photo apps after the shot, but with an 8 Megapixel Carl Zeiss lens I really feel I should be getting great shots right out of the box. Having said that, I am hoping that last week's 920 patch makes its way over to Verizon's 822 sometime in the near future. I think when that finally hits, I will have one of the best phones I've ever owned!

Bottom line is, the 822 is a good phone that is getting better with every Nokia update. I really don't think you'll be disappointed - I'm not!

Good luck!

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I spent hours on several occasions with both phones (822 and 8x) and ended up with the Nokia 822 mainly because of Nokia Drive. I come from a 4 year Android background before moving to a 4s and the thought of going back to a world without voice guided turn-by-turn navigation was too big of a step back. Overall, I LOVE my 822. The main issues I have are really Windows 8 (voice recognition and the lack of voice navigation). I sorely miss Siri - I used it quite a bit to send quick texts and e-mails. I am trying Ziggy now but it is not the same.

Phone-specific issues really only exist with the camera. I have had quite a bit of hands-on time with four 822s (two that I've owned). All have had color balance issues (especially when indoors) and produced images that are too soft in my opinion. I know that I can fix some issues in photo apps after the shot, but with an 8 Megapixel Carl Zeiss lens I really feel I should be getting great shots right out of the box. Having said that, I am hoping that last week's 920 patch makes its way over to Verizon's 822 sometime in the near future. I think when that finally hits, I will have one of the best phones I've ever owned!

Bottom line is, the 822 is a good phone that is getting better with every Nokia update. I really don't think you'll be disappointed - I'm not!

Good luck!

By voice navigation do you mean the streets being spoken or dictating directions with your own voice? Because Nokia Drive has voice guided directions, you just have to download the voices.

phantom404

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So I'm looking to pick up a white Nokia 822 for Verizon but everyone is saying No :( Now I am paying almost full price for it. I played with one from Verizon and I liked the way it felt in my hands. I do have an HTC 8x (which I'm keeping) but I kinda wanna try the Nokia. What do you al think of the 822. Pros, Cons, ect

I picked up the 822 at launch and love it. The mistake I made was I didn't go in and look at the 8x before I ordered. I was in the store the other day and played with the 8x and wish I have gotten it over the 822, problem is I'm past the return date now :/ The main reason I went with the 822 was the apps. It turns out I dont use the exclusive apps as much as I thought I would. I would much rather have the audio advantages of the 8x. The 8x is also alot lighter and felt better to hold imo. If you ever decide to get rid of the 8x or want to trade let me know :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3