Are we gonna get the new update

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, we'll get it. Just not sure when. Verizon wasn't far behind with WP7 updates, so I don't imagine we'll be waiting too long for it.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope it comes soon. I'm really getting tired of having to reboot the phone because of it locking up every day and am hoping the update fixes that.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
WP OS has a key benefit, no OEM customization like you see with Android which can cause carrier certification delays. That's not to say each OEM doesn't differentiate with special apps they offer just the OS seems to be less tweaked unlike Android.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Verizon is just a frustrating company claiming they must quality test before its safe on their network. What that really means is we don't want to release squat so we don't have to support it.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You would think they would get it out quickly if it fixes issues with the phones that are clogging up their customer support lines

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You would think they would get it out quickly if it fixes issues with the phones that are clogging up their customer support lines

Quicker isn't always better. Over the years, I've seen multiple cases of updates (to phones, PC's, etc.) that fixed some things but broke others, at least for some users. Software is complex and it's tough to get all the bugs swatted in a short time. I'd rather wait a little longer for the new, new thing than have it break something that's working just fine now.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
In normal Verizon time measuring lingo, it will come soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It looks like most of the fixes in this update are for the 920 and all of it bricking and restarting woes since release. As a matter of fact, these updates were so desperately needed that the Portico update is now delivered on the 920. Yes, it will take VZW awhile to deliver them to us. But we may not be missing a thing. You can read more about this on the links below from WMPoweruser and WPCentral.

New Nokia Lumia 920s now shipped with the Portico update | WMPoweruser

Nokia Lumia 920 purchases have Portico update pre-installed | Windows Phone Central

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup, Verizon is just a frustrating company claiming they must quality test before its safe on their network. What that really means is we don't want to release squat so we don't have to support it.

No, it means they want to quality test it first. If it weren't for their desire to get WP8 out, they may have waited to even sell devices until after the update, but they decided to go with it.

Chances are that they will know of any issues before their customers do and relay them to MS and Nokia. They deploy employees with every phone they have to test the network and the phones their customers use to ensure the best experience. There always will be some lemons and some bad experiences, but the bulk of the customers don't have that.

My phone, for instance, does not lock up at all and has only reset itself twice in one month. I understand why those with greater issues would want the update sooner. For me, it's unimportant.

booboolala2000

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine seems to be running fine. Doesn't seem to freeze up. But I do switch between my GNex. This phone has been pretty great to me so far but maybe I don't know what to be looking for. When my Gnex freezes and/or reboots is a big deal. My 822 hasn't froze yet. What is the software number that we are looking for in February?

booboolala2000

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
No, it means they want to quality test it first. If it weren't for their desire to get WP8 out, they may have waited to even sell devices until after the update, but they decided to go with it.

Chances are that they will know of any issues before their customers do and relay them to MS and Nokia. They deploy employees with every phone they have to test the network and the phones their customers use to ensure the best experience. There always will be some lemons and some bad experiences, but the bulk of the customers don't have that.

My phone, for instance, does not lock up at all and has only reset itself twice in one month. I understand why those with greater issues would want the update sooner. For me, it's unimportant.

For me VZW have proven themselves to be unreliable when it comes to approving good software. It's supposed to be bug free after you wait 2-3 months and that is usually not the case. Look at the GNex. So far for me this phone has been great. I will probably dump VZW in November but may continue with WP because of it's minimal OS and, for me, smooth operation.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm with MacPhisto on Verizon's attitude. I can personally vouch for their updates. When the Mango update came out for WP7, I'd already been using Mango for a couple months, as I am a developer and got the update and the whole non-disclosure agreement to go with it. Microsoft had already said that it would be a rolling out period, where a certain percentage would get the update the first week, a larger percent the next week, and each week an increasing percentage, and IIRC they had it available to everyone within four weeks total. On day one, I expected that I would get the udpate, being that my phone was a registered developer phone. I did, but also, my wife's phone got it that day as well, and hers wasn't a registered developer phone. So I wouldn't say that Verizon is any more sluggish than necessary to test for the bugs.

This is Microsoft's first OTA update, so it stands to reason they would roll it out slowly, making sure not to brick large numbers of phones in the process, and make necessary changes between pushes. I keep saying this, but we're all early adopters now. I've been an early adopter for years, so I just accept that in the beginning there will be bugs. Unfortunately, a lot of the people buying Windows Phones right now are not accustomed to this, as they have not been early adopters before. Sorry to say, but it just goes with the territory. There is only so much that can be tested when testing with a small pool of testers, and when you release something like this, especially after a ground-up rewrite, you WILL find more bugs. It's a fact of life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb