Are we gonna get the new update

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I would expect that we won't be far behind. I'm keeping in mind that a month or so ago, the publicly-stated goal was to get it out by the end of February for all, if my (aged) memory serves....

I appreciate you clarifying that @hopmedic. I was also looking around to see what others were asking about like on windows forums, and Verizon.

There was one person suggesting making a statement to the FCC about being upset (I think it was on one of the Microsoft forums). Anyway, the person got a response back (about group sms) and they (verizon rep) basically claimed that there would be an update around mid this year (2013). I don't know if the software update is Portico or something else later...

Microsoft one :
Windows Phone 8 Portico update for Verizon? - Microsoft Community

In another case, a verizon rep claimed that Portico wasn't ready because of their network specs. I think this was a fairly recent response.

(and of course) that one is on here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...sponse-verizon-support-regarding-portico.html

I hope there isn't this long of a wait...

Cheers,
Kelly
Kelly, the guy who wants people to contact the FCC doesn't have a clue. The FCC isn't going to do a thing. The phone passed their certification - that's all they care about. They don't care about updates. This person is just upset and venting, and thinks he's found an avenue that will help. Yes, I've been guilty of the same in the past, as well, so I'm not throwing stones. I'm just saying it won't change anything.

As for the update in mid 2013? If you're reading this forum, you know more than at least 99% of the Verizon employees that interact directly with customers, and a large percentage of those who don't. I'd take whatever a public-facing Verizon customer says about future updates with a grain of salt at this point. Portico is coming now to 8x handsets on Verizon, so I don't expect to wait much longer for it to hit the 822s. As for later this year, there is at least one more major update coming this year. We've heard about Apollo+ and Blue. Could they be the same thing? I guess that's possible. Are they two different updates? I don't know. I guess it could go either way. But we know we're getting at least one more update this year. That you can bank on.

Portico not ready due to network? Well, that's part of it. I like the way the rep painted it positively, with it being due to "the complexity" of Verizon's network. More likely, IMO, is that it has more to do with the fact that Verizon uses CDMA while the rest of the world (for the most part) uses GSM. Why take care of the phones using the smaller technology first? But yes, it is at least partly due to the "differences" in their network. :wink:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is very slow to update any device before they know for sure the update is an improvement for the device. In the past some updates caused new problems that are worse then what they are trying to fix in the first place.

Now there is an impressive rationalization for the customer support failures of the largest wireless carrier in in the US if I have ever heard one. VZW is slow and they do a terrible job of internal QA. The others may all be equally bad or amazingly better - I don't know nor do I care. Implying that VZW takes it slow to get it right or make sure there are no problems requires a serious suspension of disbelief. We are talking about the tech end of a company whose people had to have it explained by customers that Mango enabled internet sharing in the HTC Trophy. Customers also had to explain why it wasn't working and how to work around the problem. VZW is slow and bad when it comes to updates, not slow and cautious.

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Now there is an impressive rationalization for the customer support failures of the largest wireless carrier in in the US if I have ever heard one. VZW is slow and they do a terrible job of internal QA. The others may all be equally bad or amazingly better - I don't know nor do I care. Implying that VZW takes it slow to get it right or make sure there are no problems requires a serious suspension of disbelief. We are talking about the tech end of a company whose people had to have it explained by customers that Mango enabled internet sharing in the HTC Trophy. Customers also had to explain why it wasn't working and how to work around the problem. VZW is slow and bad when it comes to updates, not slow and cautious.

If the update broke something in a phone it isn't Verizon's fault. That fault lies with Microsoft and the phone manufacturer. Verizon only checks to make sure it plays nice on their network and that it doesn't have any major, phone bricking issues. The carriers get a lot of flack, when most of the time it is a manufacturer issue.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As for the update in mid 2013? If you're reading this forum, you know more than at least 99% of the Verizon employees that interact directly with customers, and a large percentage of those who don't. I'd take whatever a public-facing Verizon customer says about future updates with a grain of salt at this point. Portico is coming now to 8x handsets on Verizon, so I don't expect to wait much longer for it to hit the 822s. As for later this year, there is at least one more major update coming this year. We've heard about Apollo+ and Blue. Could they be the same thing? I guess that's possible. Are they two different updates? I don't know. I guess it could go either way. But we know we're getting at least one more update this year. That you can bank on.
Interestingly, I wrote this two days ago, and today, on my way to work, I finished listening to the WPCentral Podcast from the same day (I think), and in that episode of the podcast, Dan Rubino states that he thinks Apollo plus and Blue are the same update. :wink:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a Verizon apologist, and I do think they take way to long for updates. Look at the Verizon Galaxy Nexus... It is 4 updates behind. That' crazy for a "nexus" device. However, just from my expierence because I manage about 1000 Verizon smartphones that their network can cause some glitches from time to time. We've delt with it first hand.

Some of the problem is as they have expanded they have aquired other cellular companies and their network (on the CDMA side) is a hodge podge of equipment from multiple vendors. For an example, we had two idential phones side by side. Same area code, but different prefix. When our paging system would send out a 'text' phone 'A' would get it normally and phone 'B' would show up scrambled. We got some engineers involved and at one point we were told that one of the messages was going through one vendor's equipment and the other was going through another vendor's. Seems crazy, I know, but that's what was passed on to us.

I have no idea if that kind of stuff is what slows down updates or not? I still think they probably go slower then they should. Someday when CDMA is gone and LTE is all there is we will see if that helps things or not.

I just want my update. :)

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Look at past updates for different devices and the issues they caused due to premature release. I firmly believe Verizon takes the extra step to ensure they don't get tons of phone calls because the new update is screwing my phone up now. Look at the updates to the original Droids they were horrible at times with little or no improvement.

fabianloing

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I have not received the update too. I'm getting used to waiting that I hardly think of it anymore. Hopefully Microsoft or Nokia can really be better in these area.

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If you use a smart phone and your carrier is Verizon you should already know that you will get your phone OS update a few months or more later than everyone else. That's just the way it is with Verizon. when the update is released your phone will let you know. you'll install it and be happy. but until then, just enjoy your phone. Isnt WP8 Awesome?

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If you use a smart phone and your carrier is Verizon you should already know that you will get your phone OS update a few months or more later than everyone else. That's just the way it is with Verizon. when the update is released your phone will let you know. you'll install it and be happy. but until then, just enjoy your phone. Isnt WP8 Awesome?
i'm new to Verizon. I figured they had to be better than sprint's non existent windows phone support.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Look at past updates for different devices and the issues they caused due to premature release. I firmly believe Verizon takes the extra step to ensure they don't get tons of phone calls because the new update is screwing my phone up now. Look at the updates to the original Droids they were horrible at times with little or no improvement.

This is also the same reason they usually don't offer cutting edge phones. Part of maintaining a stable network with a satisfied customer base is ensuring everything works and works together. I know Verizon tests updates and phones more than other carriers do. They are likely to have testers running an update on a certain phone for a few months throughout the country to ensure it works and will not hinder their customers' ability to use their network in an effective manner. But that does mean that we don't get updates as soon as they roll out nor do we tend to get a phone before AT&T, who tends to rush stuff out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes