SD Cards Experiences Guide

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Howdy again everyone,

I honestly keep seeing this appear, so I thought I start a thread about cards that work with your 822. My reasons are personal too. I had the phone one, and battled the sd card, which led me to reluctantly return the phone. At the same time, WP8 + SD Card + Verizon seems like a Unicorn to me, and before I go into the store, I want to get a card that should work right. The goal is to walk in and test one while there, so I feel better about my choice (the 2nd time around). Anyway, I'm afraid of the one time return policy (if I get it this time, I'll be stuck with it), so that's in part why I'm trying to line things up with the SD Card.

Also if you write in this thread, with similar specs on one of these cards or a different card, I'll add it to the list.
Equally, if you feel there should be additional information please let me know too!

Current, here's what I've found (as of 2013-02-03):

BrandAdditional LabelTypeUHS-1size(gb)class1080p >SD720p >SDsync W8sync W7sync MacNotesUrl
PatriotLXHC03210011??Fails to copy over music and videos regardless of any files already existing on card (can copy pictures)TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
PatriotHC0162110??
SanDiskUltraXC03210111??TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
SanDiskUltraXC16410111??has been known to have choppy video play back from cardTinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
PNYHC03210??11?person in forum claimed it synced with windows greatTinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
SanDiskHC0324111??Can't handle more than 25gb of files [music] on them
LexmarkHC0161011???no known problems: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ishness-when-sd-card-present.html#post1879022TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

Cheers,
Kelly

Last edited:

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the 64GB Sandisk in your link, and I've had no problems with it, though I've seen posts from others who say it didn't work for them. I also have an 822 that has never had problems with reboots, etc., so it may be device-dependent.

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I have exactly the 64GB Sandisk in your link, and I've had no problems with it, though I've seen posts from others who say it didn't work for them. I also have an 822 that has never had problems with reboots, etc., so it may be device-dependent.
Have you tried recording vids to the SD card? Just wondering if it was choppy, like others have experienced.I picked up the Sandisk 32GB class 10 - no problems at all.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had all kinds of problems with SD cards. At this point I've given up putting music on my phone.

But, reformatting an SD card on computer, then putting it back in the phone has given me the best results.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
SANDISK 64GB SDXC UHS-I card in NOKIA 822 results in stutter during music playback, and random freezing of the phone when a large number of files are on it when using XBOX Music.

Attempted to format card with SD organization format util as well, still has same problem.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried recording vids to the SD card? Just wondering if it was choppy, like others have experienced.I picked up the Sandisk 32GB class 10 - no problems at all.

I haven't done very much video on the phone, but I haven't seen a problem with record/playback on the SD card.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
A couple of years ago, there was a professional photographers site that did extensive testing on SD cards with write speed, read speed, number of rewrites...etc...They found a lot of cards that didn't even come close to the specs they said they were. Like they were rated a 6, but their testing showed it to be no better than a 2. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I always thought SanDisk made the best SD card out there, but their testing always put Lexar as the best and I had never heard of Lexar before.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used Xbox -- I imported my music from iTunes -- so far, about 10 GB on a 64GB card. I haven't had any stuttering, freezing, or file problems.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for being a little late, I wasn't able to connect to the Internets. I added the one comment in the San Disk 64gb area for notes. I recall in the forum notes on another brand of card, so I'll hunt that down in a bit and try to add it too.

Thanks y'all!
Kelly

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
OK I've now tried both a Sandisk 64gb SDXC UHC-I card as well as a Sandisk 32GB Class 4 card. Both cards have the same problem when they have more than 25gb of music on them.

The problem with freezing etc is NOT THE CARDS. There is a bug that when there are a lot of files on the card it overloads the music app and freezes the phone. Easily duplicated, it seems to occur once you get into the multi-thousands of MP3s.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A couple of years ago, there was a professional photographers site that did extensive testing on SD cards with write speed, read speed, number of rewrites...etc...They found a lot of cards that didn't even come close to the specs they said they were. Like they were rated a 6, but their testing showed it to be no better than a 2. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I always thought SanDisk made the best SD card out there, but their testing always put Lexar as the best and I had never heard of Lexar before.

Interesting... I'm not a pro photog, but I've got a couple of Lexar CF cards that I use in my Canon 50D, and I've never had problems with them. I think this is only the second or third time I've bought SanDisk, and I did so because so many people were reporting problems so I wanted the big name. My mistake.....

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've updated more info on here.

Also, I recall conversations around here with Nokia suggesting cards, but I don't recall the references and if they're actually cards or just basic specs. I'll look around for those later and try to figure it out.

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I always had great experiences with Lexar memory, but over time I had trouble finding the capacity and options I needed at retail or online locations. Not sure if its an availability issue or mfg choice by lexar. But I can say I do prefer theirs.

I just checked their site and well the only 64GB microSDHC they offer is this one Lexar? High-Performance microSDXC and it retails for $139.99 while the SanDisk is $50-60 so now I guess we know why one sells more than another. Next time it will get Lexar and pay the money.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I always had great experiences with Lexar memory, but over time I had trouble finding the capacity and options I needed at retail or online locations. Not sure if its an availability issue or mfg choice by lexar. But I can say I do prefer theirs.

I just checked their site and well the only 64GB microSDHC they offer is this one Lexar? High-Performance microSDXC and it retails for $139.99 while the SanDisk is $50-60 so now I guess we know why one sells more than another. Next time it will get Lexar and pay the money.

NewEgg seems to have a lot of Lexar items: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Flash Memory & Readers, Flash Memory, Lexar

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything about one of the updates fixing this, i.e. Portico or the one after this? I am debating whether I should return my SD cards, but being that I tried two totally different ones and had exact same results I'm thinking its WP8's fault.

DarkSpartan017

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the same 64GB SanDisk card as others have mentioned with the same choppy playback with 720/1080p video on Lumia 810. I've had no issues with music playback or picture taking/focus speed so I'm curious to see if this is a software issue that was squashed with Portico.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@DarkSpartan017 Thanks for mentioning your SD Card. Can you please give some details how it is at transferring music and video while it is synced to your computer (OS)?

Thanks,
Kelly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

if you could kindly dig up the link at some point, that'd be mega

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb