Nokia Lumia 822 auto powering off--WOULD NEVER BUY AGAIN!!!!!

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Not to make anybody get mad and I'm very new to this as well, maybe your husband is accidentally pressing and holding the power button in his pocket? Or maybe the battery is thinner than others and is popping out? Try putting a folded piece of paper in the back and see if that helps. It happens a lot with my Palm Prē

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nah - there are known issues, and the repeated issues demonstrated here with phone after phone after phone are just one of the reasons that I keep saying that the complaints about it being a hardware problem are overstated. There is a software problem, Microsoft knows about it and has created a fix, and we just need to be patient and wait for it to come. If this kind of thing gets you agitated, then being an early adopter isn't for you. Wait until the second or third wave of a completely new, built-from-the-ground-up OS comes around. This OS was built from the ground up. There will be bugs. And as much as most people think this is second gen, it really isn't. WP7 was built on the CE kernel, where WP8 was built on the NT kernel.

Patience, young padwan.....

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I suffer from Early-Adopter syndrome myself. I've overpaid for every Nintendo DS I've ever bought if that gives an idea. :D

Speaking from experience working at one of these call centers, I've seen cases in which a specific PRL would cause a specific software version on a specific model of phone to do exactly what this here Lumia is reported to be doing. I've also seen cases in which an annoying piece of software would get backed up and re-installed to an Android phone over and over and over and over and over again, causing issues to return no matter how many times the person wiped or had their phone replaced. Situations like these have led people to (understandably) believe that warranty and/or refurbished phones are generally beat-up bricks that have been run through a food processor, which they are definitely not. (Can't say I've never heard rumors of tampered packages in the mail though....)

Granted, part of the problem is some reps' overwillingness to try and fix an issue by being generous about replacements. They want to make the customer happy. They truly believe replacing the phone will make the customer happy, because in that rep's mind, it makes it look like we're going above and beyond for the customer. But when the issue returns, the customer gets angrier, calls in, getting yet another rep that thinks they'll make the customer happier by replacing (to make us look generous) rather than rooting out the real problem. It's an endless cycle that only increases the frustration, and sometimes it's hard to work that mentality out of a person.

The reps who typically have the happiest customers are the ones who are *least* generous with replacements, and do everything they can to weed out the real issue or find a real answer. I understand it's frustrating, but generally the reps who are more adamant about troubleshooting for themselves are the ones who most often get things *fixed*.

I've learned to expect the impossible on a daily basis with technology, and especially with software. You can have two of the exact same hardware, and get two entirely different results if even the slightest of conditions are different. As much as people grumble about "paying to beta", this is how the worst of the bugs are found and worked out: The developers are simply unable to find them just by poking around, because they cannot predict what every last person will do to their code. They need the unpredictable to happen in order to solve it. I thank you for taking part in this process. I apologize for the frustration, but please try to be gentle with the reps. They are the ones who know the devices and the network.

For what it's worth, my old Trophy hated the Sync system in my husband's car. (Ironic, right?) The Lumia loves it with hugs and kisses. Difference? I imagine it's the audio-enhancing software you find in HTCs. Either way, it caused my old Trophy to crash when I played music in the car. I knew what caused it, I could live with it. Tech is weird and the easiest way to be "good" at it is to learn to take it in stride. Learn to understand when nobody did anything wrong. Learn to enjoy poking around it. (You're not gonna break it! Well, unless you toss it off a building maybe...) Worried about losing something? Back it up and play some more.

For some of us who have been playing with PDAs since the Palm days (and I swear I've recognized a few names on a few forums from Brighthand), we know how far we can push these devices. Windows Phone 8, even with the bugs, is cake compared to Windows Mobile 6.5 or Android.

Take all this for what you will.

katiegal

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Spoke too soon. Husband's third phone is acting up since the update and now MY 822 and my oldest son's 822 are locking up and rebooting. We have to remove the battery. Does it even in the middle of a frickin' phone call!!!!

And now the screen on my 822 and the screen on my mom's goes light to dim, light to dim, all the time.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
this might not be the phone for you, this thing has been solid for me, one of the best I have had and that's speaking volumes for a low to mid range phone, and I have had A LOT of phones including i5 and top android phones.

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Problem is,to many Nokias are not the phone for anyone. So I will stick to my HTC 8X and Samsung Ativ S.
I actually haven't seen a lot of people complain, in fact this person has two threads going about how bad it is and none of them have worked for them, that's been about it. where do you see a lot of people saying 822 wont work for them?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Spoke too soon. Husband's third phone is acting up since the update and now MY 822 and my oldest son's 822 are locking up and rebooting. We have to remove the battery. Does it even in the middle of a frickin' phone call!!!!

And now the screen on my 822 and the screen on my mom's goes light to dim, light to dim, all the time.

katiegal, my 822 did not exhibit any freezing or rebooting until after the update. Then, it would only do it rarely, but I discovered that it always seemed to happen when I was traveling through the same areas where the data connection would drop out. I fixed the issue a few days ago, and haven't seen my data connection drop out, nor seen the phone reboot.

I went into Settings>Cellular and set Mode selection from "Global", which is what it was showing, to "LTE and CDMA", then I changed Data roaming options to "roam" as most VZW plans, including mine, include domestic data roaming for free. This fixed my issues. You should check your phone and see if these settings are set to Global and don't roam like my phone was. If so, change them and see if the problem goes away.

There is a fix for the issue coming in the next round of updates for this phone. It appears, from this Engineer's point of view, that the software has issues with handing off data connections when bouncing from LTE to 3G and edge. Before I set these settings, I would only see LTE or no data indication by the cellular antenna strength bars. Now I get 3G and 1x when I go through those areas that had issues before, and I no longer loose data, such as when streaming Pandora music. This phone has been rock solid since I made these changes, and I would bet good money the update addresses the issue in the software.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Please also note that there is a fix on this board for the dim-bright-dim issue. It involves going into a completely dark room to recalibrate the ambient light sensor data. All of the issues you are having are software related. The phones, themselves, seem to be very good, and very solid, but there is clearly some teething pains with the software. Keep in mind, this happens to every phone and manufacturer to some level. I've seen several iPhones freeze up when trying to take pictures (including 4S models). Software is very complex and difficult to make without any issues.

I do believe, however, that Nokia really needs to get updates for stuff like this out faster, though I understand the need to make sure they didn't screw something else up. I think some of the teething pains may be from Nokia's lack of being on VZW as it seems this issue is predominately on the 822.

Dave_97865

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Verizon is replacing the phone, and they are not making me go without a phone -- they are sending it overnight mail, and having me send back the old one after I get the replacement. I'm not sure why others are saying they need to go without a phone for a few days, because the rep said they don't make people do that.

I still suspect it might be a software issue. I've tried disabling all background tasks and that doesn't help. I tried a factory reset and that didn't help either. I wonder if there is some commonality among phones that have problem. For instance, I have several email accounts (about 5) setup and an Exchange account. I wonder if that could be it? Or if there is some app that could be causing it. Anyway I'll check back here and let you know if getting the new phone resolves the issue.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon Lumia 822 is the best phone I've ever had. I haven't had any issues. I should say that I have never received notification of the Portico Over The Air update and thus haven't installed it. I think the 822 is a great phone! Great look and build quality. I can't believe how much phone I got for such little money. I'm very sorry to hear that anyone is having a bad experience, but I hope we don't fall into simplistic generalizations. I hope the issues are resolved quickly.

Mopad10

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm having powering off issues also with my 822. Verizon replaced the phone and I seem to be having even more issues with it powering off. I was on the phone with them for 45 mins last night and they seem to have no clue what is causing it. They are sending another replacement. This will be my 3rd 822. I love the phone, hate the powering off. In the last 10 days the phone has not made it threw the night without turning it self off. Yesterday it turned off 3 times (that's not including it turning off at night).

jana8899

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Do you have the latest SW update 1532.5951.1250.1012? To check go to settings>about>more info, look for the firmware version number. If it is not 1532.5951.1250.1012, then you need to update your SW. You will need to be on wifi to be able to download the new SW. Go to settings>phone update>check for updates do download the latest SW. There were some improvements made to power cycling, SD cards compatibility and BT connectivity.
Jana at Nokia

Mopad10

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Verizon rep went threw that with me and I'm up to date. The replacement phone that I received from Verizon came with a older version that I updated immediately when the phone arrived. Seems like the update makes things worse if you ask me. I have never inserted a SD card or turned on Bluetooth.

It's not fun that I waited so long to pull the trigger on a smart phone, then I do and I pick a phone that constantly turns off.

horseybob

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
That's unfortunate; the 822 is also my first smartphone (since November). Haven't ever seen these issues at all between two 822 phones. Sorry to hear this.

Dave_97865

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I think I might have found the problem (Edit: I was wrong). I don't mean to point fingers at a particular app, but the problem has not happened since I uninstalled it (Edit: Turns out it's not the app. It happened again). It's been about 2 days and it's still early to tell but it makes sense. I think I've seen the app lock up while using it once. It updates the lockscreen and attempts to add the weather info to the lockscreen graphic too. Just disabling the background task wasn't enough. Perhaps it was doing something odd in toast notifications?? Yes I have the latest OS.

I received my replacement phone yesterday, but I don't think I'll need to open it. I'll wait a few more days and if it happens again I'll let you know. It was happening pretty regularly, about once a day at random times.

So it's not a hardware issue as far as I can see. (Edit: it might still be)

Last edited:

Mopad10

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I do not have the app 'lockslider+' so that rules it out for me. I do too think its a software issue, just not sure if its the apps, or the OS. I use the music app a lot with podcasts (helps with the 45 min commute!) .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett