Does your phone rattle?

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have an 822 with a rattling noise?

Mine has a small rattlling sound at the top of the phone and I can't figure out what it is. I take out the battery, the SD card and the SIM card and it still does it. I thought it might be the card container but when I hold that down and shake the phone I still hear the rattle. Kinda sounds like it is behind the camera or right above it. The rattle is actually loader and more pronounced when I have the back off and the battery and cards removed. The phone works fine except for the occasional lockup or reboot (where's that damn update?). The rattle itself isn't enough to make me want to go through the warranty hassle but it is a bit annoying at times, particularly when I have the phone to my ear during a conversation.

Any ideas?

ryknown

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
YES! It's so annoying. I've been to multiple VWZ stores and every single one I've held rattles. The VWZ reps even said they heard it too!
Here's another post on this topic: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-822/204894-rattle.html#post1841868

I've had four replacements now - they all rattle. I think it is from the brass connectors underneath the back plate. These would allow the phone to have the wireless charging and near field communication.

I'm contacting Nokia about the issue tomorrow. Here's their North America number if you'd like to contact them too - 888-226-6542 (when calling from Canada) or 888-665-4228 (from North America).

silentspeedz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My phone rattles too. My best guess is those little gold buds next to the battery that help support the back cover. You can see them when you take off the back cover, its near the sides. Im not sure if we're talking about the same rattle sound though, mine is pretty soft and can be only heard when its really quiet in the room. Out of maybe 8 or 9 gold buds, i think only 1 or 2 is rattling when i put the cover back on. Try shaking the phone with your back cover off and youll notice the rattles coming from them.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Oops! I didn't see the other thread. At least its not just my phone. I guess I'll just deal witht for now. I don't want to go though the hassle of getting a replacemnt and then that one having the same rattle. Not worth it to me. Thanks for the responses.

John D II

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The rattling sound is the wireless charging contacts under the backplate. Ours did this prior to installing the wireless backs. Now they dont. Its not really that loud, but if it bothers you, put a small thin piece of cardboard over the four unused contacts prior to putting your backplate on. "problem" solved.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The rattling sound is the wireless charging contacts under the backplate. Ours did this prior to installing the wireless backs. Now they dont. Its not really that loud, but if it bothers you, put a small thin piece of cardboard over the four unused contacts prior to putting your backplate on. "problem" solved.

It's definitely not those 4 prongs that are rattling. The noise comes from behind the camera area. Regardless, I tried the cardboard thing and it didn't help. Thanks though.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Mine creaks and buzzes like a mofo. I really like my 822 but the creaks and buzzing is highly annoying. It makes it feels really cheaply made. The buzzing noise is heard when my phone vibrates. So when I am in a meeting at work and my phone vibrates to alert that I have a text or incoming call, the whole room hears it plain as day. Not discreet at all and very embarrassing. Anybody have the buzzing issue too?

ozzman0830

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It's your sim card. Pull the little drawer out and stick a piece of paper (folded in half) on top of the card and slide it back in. Fixed my rattle completely! The buzzing is the power button losing some of the tension... you can wiggle it a bit and notice it's loose. Have someone call you with the phone on vibrate. Pick it up and place your finger over the button and the buzzing goes away. It's quite frustrating and there's no fix for this that I can think of other than a cover.

ryknown

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Pulled out the sim card holder and held the brass touch points for the wireless charging and the other set without a back on the phone... Did not rattle. Added wireless charging back and it rattles - did not install sim card holder. It's the brass thingies on my phone. On my sixth replacement since the last one I received did not rattle but suffered from randomly locking up and shutting down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire