Clear unread SMS count?

akornfan

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just got my Windows Phone today and I love it but I have an unread count of "1" on my Messaging (that's SMS, not email) Live tile even though I not only read it but deleted every thread in an attempt to get rid of it. I have anxiety issues and that lingering "1" is giving me serious agita, I'm pacing around and googling furiously but there doesn't seem to be much I can do.

I spent the day downloading apps as well as manually transferring contacts from my Blackberry--combined these took me like five hours--so a factory reset is out of the question.

I found out that for WP6.x (I'm running version 8) there was some kind of .exe you could run with a hack that would clear your unread count magically. Is there a Marketplace app that does something similar? Is there a way to clear just your texts? I know it's ridiculous but I'm freakin' out, hahaha. :unhappysweat:

Anyway, hopefully someone experienced can help me with this. I'm willing to get walked through even some devious hard tech stuff if it means I can have some peace of mind here.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Had it before, it eventually fixed itself. If a hard reset is what it comes to, everything is backed up, no worries (as long as it is turned on in the settings). Try resetting your phone, turning it off and back on, first. Then try sending and receiving some new texts. Unpin and repin it. Let us know if any of these things help.

akornfan

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response! I did a soft reset and repinned it. No dice there. If it eventually fixes itself I can just avoid the messaging app but in the meantime I'm trying a couple conversations. (If only people would text me back, ahaha.)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Send yourself a text then read your text it will go away, it has only happened to me once on wp7.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

akornfan

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I sent a few to myself and it didn't work. :( Although it is kind of funny having a conversation with yourself, so that was a nice respite, hahah.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm there is something wrong then... Have somebody text you or text yourself and immediately hit the windows key. Your message count should say two then., go in and clear it out.

akornfan

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm there is something wrong then... Have somebody text you or text yourself and immediately hit the windows key. Your message count should say two then., go in and clear it out.

Oh my gosh. That did it. Thank you so much!!! I can at last heave a sigh of relief, and hopefully go to therapy for how completely insane I am. But thank you!

akornfan

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to make a habit of this, but I'm having another issue. This one isn't quite as anxiety-provoking (for some reason) but it is a little frustrating. My Live tiles on my emails don't update after I've opened the app and scrolled through (and sometimes the apps don't launch the way they should but a soft reset or waiting has fixed that multiple times). I try pressing the sync button after marking them all as read on my computer and it acts like it's syncing for a real long time, even displaying the message "Syncing...", but when I go to unlock it I still see 16 and 7 unread emails in their respective tiles. Any ideas on this one?

edit: Apparently reading them on my phone marks them as read on my computer, though--it's just that when I open the app again they say they're unread and the count on the live tile won't budge.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know anything about your specific issue, hopefully someone else can address it, but have you pulled the battery? Take it out for a minute, put it back in, restart. It's amazing what that can fix. I tend to just do the regular reset if I run into problems (Power + Volume button hold), as it is quick and easy, but if something persists or seems particularly off, I go with the battery pull and every time (though granted, I've had very few problems so this means all 4 times) it has worked to really fix issue. Wasn't sure what you meant when you said you reset it, if you didn't pull the battery, try that and leave it out for longer than 15 seconds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre