New 822 advice

Shadai

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So I just bought and activated my spanking new 822... thank you ebay!

Now that I have it and I'm playing with the settings getting it to feel more like my phone, I've been out of the windows 8 loop due to having my Trophy longer then I thought.

So Nokia 822 owners, please tell me:

1. What apps should I have? Particularly what apps are windows 8 only that I should have on my phone?

2. Any suggestions/recommendations on a case? Or are they crap and going caseless a better idea?

3. Should I pop for the wireless charging option or does it make the phone bulky?

Pretty sure I'll think of some other questions but this is a good start for now.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
As far as apps go I use several like

Evernote
Ebay
Poynt
Battery level for WP8
BoxFiles for Dropbox
Go Voice for Gtalk
PayPal
RapdialerSkydrive
Sticky NotesWeatherbug
WPCentral

And the list goes on!

I use the Verizon Holster case combo it works great for me I haven't tried the wireless charging yet but there are a few threads here that should help you out in that area.

Shadai

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As for apps, I pretty much have all the good ones that are also for Windows Phone 7. I've had the trophy since it came out, so I have some experience in that area. I'm mainly looking for what kind of Windows Phone 8 only apps are must haves that I couldn't get before with my Trophy? You know, like lenses and Windows Phone 8 exclusive apps?

Kinda interested in what people think of cases. I had a holder for my Trophy so I wasn't putting it in my pocket, but I didn't have a case for it. I set up the same thing for this phone, but I'm wondering if there are some good cases out there I should be looking at.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Poynt, Tunein, Sky Wallet, Chase mobile, WP Central, and rowi. As far as cases, I bought that silicone one at the Verizon store. I also decided not to bother with a screen protector.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The wireless charging cover is thicker but not by much and you really can't tell much of a difference. Whether it's worth it to you though depends. I'm at a desk most of my work day so I set it on the wireless stand and have it display time/weather/next appointment, which I like. I can grab and go. If I didn't appreciate that convenience, then wireless charging is kind of unnecessary. It would be better if there were businesses with wireless charging tables, wireless charging options for the car, etc.

I don't use a case with mine, just a screen protector.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Note on wireless charging back... it is thicker and enough that some cases won't fit anymore. Keep that in mind if you are shopping. Generally speaking tight fitting stuff will not fit on a phone with wireless charging back.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
@bigboy - what wireless charging back did you get for your 822? If it is thicker, it is marginal at best. The silicone cover that I got from Verizon fits the same as it did without the charging back. What cover are you using? Or are you surmising based on experience with other phones?
@OP - as for apps, use the Nokia Favorites App to look up what apps they suggest and go through the store favorites to see what is new, trending, etc. I use a lot of the stock apps as I find they mostly do what I need, and there there are the soccer apps for me. :)) One more thing about the wireless charging back if you have seen the posts, I have the wireless charging back with the silicone cover and wireless charging plate and there are no issues with the phone charging. You do not need to take off the cover (at least with the one I own).

Shadai

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
One more thing about the wireless charging back if you have seen the posts, I have the wireless charging back with the silicone cover and wireless charging plate and there are no issues with the phone charging. You do not need to take off the cover (at least with the one I own).

I was just going to ask that. I was wondering if having a case on it would disrupt the charging.

My Trophy I just used a screen protector and no case - well, no case if you didn't count the case that clipped to my belt to hold the phone. Had to take the phone out of that to use it. I was thinking of doing the same with this phone, but it's a bit larger then the Trophy and I fear I'll fumble it at some point. WP Central just had a sale on those ultra thin Incipio Cases. Anyone have or used one of those before?

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the white 822 with the black charging cover. Now I have Green Trident case on the phone, still works with wireless charging.
Do not get caught up in app hype, most website now have very functional mobile versions and IE for windows phone is great.
The only apps I really use are accuweather, Netflix, flashlight and WP central, all the rest are games.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the white 822 with the black charging cover. Now I have Green Trident case on the phone, still works with wireless charging.
Do not get caught up in app hype, most website now have very functional mobile versions and IE for windows phone is great.
The only apps I really use are accuweather, Netflix, flashlight and WP central, all the rest are games.
This argument that the website is better than the app doesn't always hold water. The WP Central app is a clear example of that. It is a 100 times better than trying to go through the browser and keep up with your threads/comments. So it really depends on the app and how well it's developed.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
@bigboy - what wireless charging back did you get for your 822? If it is thicker, it is marginal at best. The silicone cover that I got from Verizon fits the same as it did without the charging back. What cover are you using? Or are you surmising based on experience with other phones?

I tried the vzw hard acrylic case and it does not fit with wireless charging back. I also emailed Incipio about the fit of their feartherlight case and they said they would not guarantee a fit.

I also use a soft case and it is stretchy enough to work. However, it seems like a harder and tight fitting ones might not, hence the warning. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss