24 hours with my 822

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My 2 cents briefly...coming from the HTC trophy. I love the OS so this will probably be nitpicky about what could be better because so many of the basics I already think are great.
Love the big screen. Yet still can use with one hand. Good size. All buttons on same side and no power button on top I will get used too, even though seems weird to me.

I honestly think the Trophy build quality is better. Sleek. Solid. Don't get me wrong this 822 is very good( and I know it is not their flagship)but maybe I tend to like the minimalistic style better. I was real close to going for the 8X for this reason, but Nokia seems so much more responsive and obviously invested in WP8.

Strange but scrolling seemed smoother on Trophy too. 2 of 3 email accts are working. For Yahoo acct. I had to do advanced setup to get it to do anything and now it syncs non stop, so I deleted it for now. Love the Nokia Apps. Drive, Music, etc. Kid area is nice too. Nokia ACC app is great for sports fans. The EQ and presets for music are awesome.
Camera is perplexing to me. Pic quality is better on 822, especially indoors. But, no question the Trophy shutter button is superior; has a "feel" to it and felt solid. The plastic one on the 822 not so much and not as precise from focus to shot. Many more "extras" on the 822. Front facing works great.

I agree with everyone about the loss of Zune. MS needs to rebrand it and bring it back asap. To me this is just a notch below the Apple map fiasco. If WP were more popular, general media and folks would being going ballistic over this.
Overall, the 822 is faster; app loading, etc. 4G browsing is like night and day over the 3G Trophy. No brainer here. Although the voice search icon in the lower tool tray in Bing search is gone. Only in the address bar now. I think I like it better the other way as in 7.5.

A little strange the way the screen tiles seem condensed during a phone call. I miss the led notification of missed call and battery is charged. How tough can this be to do. I miss the HTC phone app that put it on speakerphone when you flip it and sit it on a table top, etc.
Oh, and no PhotoSynth yet. Come on MS.

Nevertheless...loving it so far. Bring on the apps and fix the music. Sorry not so brief.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I also used to use the trophy and I think I can safely say that the keyboard was better in wp8. I liked it when there was more autocorrect so I didn't have to care about precisely touching the screen.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hay Teeb omus you hit it right on the head I also had the trophy and agree with you 100% and yes MS needs to get this zume/xbox working so we can get our music onto the 822. 1 other thing I got the wireless charging system and its great. Good luck and should you figure out how to get the music on the 822 let me know.
Thanks
Sent from my {Nokia 822} using Board Express.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I also had the Trophy and by far the 822 is a far superior device with more options and speed. The ne UI alone is great and the app selection is not that bad either.

teebomus

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
48 hour update. Liking the 822 even more. I really like the tap the screen to auto focus on the camera. Adjusting camera settings has helped. Thanks all for your thoughts.
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

teebomus

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know how to name this phone. My kids thought it was cool when my Bluetooth speakerphone connected to my trophy and it said "connected to daddy's phone" or whatever crazy thing I named it. Can't find where to do that on wp8. Went to live, didn't see it. Thanks

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how bad the scrolling is for you, but I had a problem where it was annoyingly jerky on mine, so I hard reset it, and now it's buttery smooth.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Anybody know how to name this phone. My kids thought it was cool when my Bluetooth speakerphone connected to my trophy and it said "connected to daddy's phone" or whatever crazy thing I named it. Can't find where to do that on wp8. Went to live, didn't see it. Thanks
Sorry for the bonehead question. I had not actually plugged my phone into my computer yet. When I did boom there is was.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure how bad the scrolling is for you, but I had a problem where it was annoyingly jerky on mine, so I hard reset it, and now it's buttery smooth.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I would not say mine is jerky. I think I just had to get used to the size of the tiles moving up and down/across the bigger screen. Seems fine now. thanks

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I think they are both good phones. Granted I have never used the 8X other than in the store. My experience with HTC(Trophy) was great. It was under-appreciated in my view. But... I know when I walked into Verizon and saw them side by side for the first time, I just gravitated to the 8x. I think most do because it just looks so cool and sleek, etc.
But when I got past the "looks"( which is probably not possible ) then I decided on the Nokia.
You know when I really started to consider the 822 seriously when I compared it to their flagship the 920 on one of those website that lets you do side by side comparisons of features and I saw enough similarities to get it. In other words, part of my issue may have been knowing that I was not getting Nokia's "best". But in the 822, I was getting most of their best features primarily minus the pure view camera. And maybe some things I like better, i.e. lighter feel, etc.
Not to mention having had an HTC, there was a part of me curious about another brand.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos