"Other" takes up 3GB?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Try using the Shrink Storage app, it helps reduce the Other space a lot. It works for me and most people who reviewed it, so you should give it a try.
Too bad that Microsoft isn't doing anything about it though right now...

Last edited:

ultralight23

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Works fine, mine went from 4.53 down to 4.18. After running the app (filling the storage) it said it had 6.83 allocated storage...my verbage is probably wrong. Anyone know what that means?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Joe Belfiore tweeted the other day that they are working on this, but he also gave a suggestion to try turning off the photo option of auto uploading to SkyDrive.

jana8899

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
The Lumia 822 has the entire US maps preloaded. The map data resides in the "other" storage. An option for you to clear some space is to delete the maps data and reinstall only the states that you travel most. This should free up a couple of gigs.
Hope this helps,
Jana at Nokia

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I long ago deleted the full US maps and downloaded only my state. I believe the difference was going from 2.5 GB to 1 or 2 hundred MB.

Assassin 11B3P

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
my 'other' storage is 2.5GB while my apps are 2.6GB! this is after a full phone reset. Shrink Storage is VERY hit or miss...and it takes FOREVER (at least it did on my and my wife's phone (822)).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
my 'other' storage is 2.5GB while my apps are 2.6GB! this is after a full phone reset. Shrink Storage is VERY hit or miss...and it takes FOREVER (at least it did on my and my wife's phone (822)).

It doesn't take forever if you're close to full. The more space you have, the longer it takes to fill it up. :wink:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I know this thread is old, but man, we need that firmware update for the 822. Here's my "other":

Screenshot (7).png

8.59 GB. I have deleted the Nokia Maps, except my home state which is about 80 MB. I deleted my Audible books, thinking maybe they were stored in other. Thought maybe it was podcasts, but I barely have any and they're on the SD card I see. I've used Shrink Storage and Phone Storage Cleanup, but they haven't been really getting rid of anything. I plan to run them both again several times tonight.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
This. I had success with this as well.

What did you do after disabling the auto SkyDrive upload to reclaim your storage space? Or do you mean it helped you going forward?
I disabled auto upload and ran Shrink Storage and Phone Storage Cleanup about 4 times each. I gained about 250 Mb, but I still have 8.3 GB of other.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I didn't do anything. I just turned off Sky Drive syncing and the amount of space consumed by "other" dropped. I don't remember by how much though. I also took jana8899's advice and deleted some of the maps I don't need. Between the two my "other is down to below 1 GB and pretty much stays there.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Any word on when this other fix will come to the 822? I had a user download the Lumia Storage Check on his 822 but it didn't run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)