Nokia Lumia 822 is dead (wont turn on)...any idea ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Nokia 822 for a good price but, it was unknown if it worked. The phone besides minor scratches on the screen is in good shape but, I cant get it to turn it on.

I tried the Reset and Hard reset but, at no point does the phone come on. Only sign I get is when I plug it into power/PC the "back" arrow is lit, nothing else. It's got the wireless charger QI back cover but, dropping it on a QI charger does nothing.

The phone SHOULD be under warranty(according to Nokia) but, I figured I would see here if anyone knows another method to get this phone to "boot" up. If no luck, I will hit a Verizon store this week to see what they say, or send it out to be repaired (as long as it's under warranty)

Thanks !

Can anyone help here ?

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
You might need to wait for awhile. Try charge your phone via USB (Not wireless charging) and leave it overnight.
I don't have the 822, but this should do for you.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
From what you have said it sounds like you purchased the phone 2nd hand? If so then anything could have happened to it before you got your hands on it. A soft reset, sometimes you need to try multiple times ( try both connected and disconnected from the wall charger) usually sorts out a hung phone but I don't like the sound of only the back arrow lighting up. I think it will need to visit a repair shop. Good luck :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Left it connected to my PC overnight (computer went to sleep at one point), Today both the "back and "search" buttons light up. It connects to the PC but, if I try to boot it, It will give the Verizon "square" logo on the blue screen (like it's going to boot) but, just jumps in the battery screen.

I guess now I need to let the battery charge for a few hours. Then I can see if the darn thing boots and if it fully works..

I did get the phone 2nd hand but, I never owned one so I wanted to check because maybe I was missing something.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Then it's perfectly normal, at least to me. :)
Tell us if there's other problem on your phone. Will reply ASAP.

Ok, The battery has charged for an hour or so (should be enough to boot, etc). Now, When power is applied (battery put in or power cord), the "back" and "search" button are lit up (with any power connected they will both stay on). The phone will suto boot, it goes to the blue "Verizon Square" then just goes to a black screen that says "Nokia" and it will stay like that.

At no point can I get WP8 to boot, it just says like this. I have removed the SIM and did this with and without a SIM not change. I tried to do a hard reset but, because the back and search buttons are lit, it's sort of on and it wont work. I can do a reset "power+down volume" but that is it...

Any other thoughts ?

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Try do the soft reset (Power+Down volume) a few times. It seems strange and if this doesn't work, your phone might really need to be serviced.

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried having the phone plugged in without the battery?

I know, sounds dumb, but if you have a bad battery I can see the phone working while plugged in without the battery.

If I had more knowledge of the phone, I would say to flash the phone's bootloader, but I do not know how to do that, myself. Best of luck!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Try do the soft reset (Power+Down volume) a few times. It seems strange and if this doesn't work, your phone might really need to be serviced.

Ok, Got a Hard Reset going. After the combo, I see the gears on the screen for a few min. Then it just does the same thing. It shows the Verizon "square" and then goes to a black screen and says "Nokia" then stays like that. Hmmmm....

I wonder if the internal rom is bad, maybe a re-flash of it, I'll take a peak over at XDA..

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
OK, let's give this a try. When the screen still says "Nokia", try hold the power button until the device turn off. After that, turn it on and leave it for a few hours. Make sure you plugged in your phone to a charger.

And please, do NOT flash your phone if you don't know what does it mean. It will void your warranty. It will work though.

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, anyway, if you decided to flash your phone, you can flash it but now that the Navifirm+ is locked, you can't download the software image for your phone.

Instead you have to download NCS (Nokia Care Suite) to refurbish or repair your phone. Make sure you downloaded the latest one to get it working.

Note, if you still have your warranty, forget this. (Unless you don't care about your warranty. :p )

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh yes, anyway, if you decided to flash your phone, you can flash it but now that the Navifirm+ is locked, you can't download the software image for your phone.

Instead you have to download NCS (Nokia Care Suite) to refurbish or repair your phone. Make sure you downloaded the latest one to get it working.

Note, if you still have your warranty, forget this. (Unless you don't care about your warranty. :p )

Walked into a Verizon store today and said because I was not the first owner, they pretty much told me to screw (I know it's BS and just a lazy tech, as I have owned a ton of used phones under warranty before).

I tried a ton of things, and now running Nokia Product Support tools (newest version) and downloading the image now. I am going to flash it, screw it. No matter what, after hard resets with the Sim in or Out, battery off or on, holding this or that button, the most I can get out of it is the Nokia page...but, I can get to the boot loader page.

I'll post back how the progress goes. It's been interesting finding out all the info I need to get ready to "flash" a Nokia phone. Wish there was "custom" roms available, that would be epic...

and I know about flashing, I had a new rom almost every day back in the WM days and even my HTC Trophy was running custom roms....Oh, the fun !!!

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Loaded Nokia Care Suite. Got the phone flashed, no problem there. It does the same exact thing (hangs at the Nokia screen). System board must be bad or something on this phone. Not sure what else I can try here. I think it's hosed. I might try Nokia to see if they can do anything here but, I'm starting to think the phone is ready for the parts bin.

Any other ideas ?

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Just leave the phone alone with the charger plugged for few hours. Had this problem on my 620 but it happened only once and so long that I had forgotten it.

Hope it helps you. If it still can't help you, service is absolutely needed.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just leave the phone alone with the charger plugged for few hours. Had this problem on my 620 but it happened only once and so long that I had forgotten it.

Hope it helps you. If it still can't help you, service is absolutely needed.

Yea, left it charging on the "Nokia" screen over night, after another hard reset (I get the gears showing), it's doing the same thing. It shows the Verizon Square, then goes to a black screen with "Nokia" in the middle of it, never goes past that. I noticed that my Nokia Care Suite was the 2012 version, not the newest. I downloaded the update to the 2013 version and will try to re-flash it tonight when I get out of work.

If that does not work, I have no idea. Not sure if there is anything else to try here. I'll try to call up Nokia this week and if no luck and out of warranty, it will be sold off for parts. Oh, well...

Anyone else have something else to try, it seems I have tried everything I can think of here...

My first Nokia, gota love my luck...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I updated the Nokia software to the newest version, same results. I called Nokia, the phone should be under warranty. So I created a case and will be shipping out the phone tomorrow. I'm not sure they will cover it but, its worth a shot.

If it does not work, I'll be selling it for parts....

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I updated the Nokia software to the newest version, same results. I called Nokia, the phone should be under warranty. So I created a case and will be shipping out the phone tomorrow. I'm not sure they will cover it but, its worth a shot.

If it does not work, I'll be selling it for parts....
after you have done let me know whats wrong too. Came across one of these unit, everything seems fine have no idea whats wrong.

jana8899

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi DavidinCT,
Have you tried a hard key reset? Make sure the battery is charged. It is highly recommended to use the charger that comes with the phone or a Nokia wireless charging accessory. Charging via the PC only outputs around 100-500 mA, whereas the Nokia charger output is 1300 mA.

Hard key reset:
1. With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone (or with the phone turned off, plug in a Nokia charger, connected to a power source of course), then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.
2. An “!” mark will appear on the display.
3. Press the following keys in this order:
o Volume up
o Volume Down
o Power Key
o Volume Down
o Device will now reset.
NOTE: During the reset, there will be (2) gear rotating on the display for up to 5 minutes, after which the display will go blank for ~30 seconds. This is normal.
NOTE: Resetting the phone will erase all user data, including Nokia Maps. You will have to reinstall the Nokia Maps via WiFi.

Once the phone is reset, make sure you have the latest SW update by going to settings>phone update>check for updates.

Jana at Nokia

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi DavidinCT,
Have you tried a hard key reset? Make sure the battery is charged. It is highly recommended to use the charger that comes with the phone or a Nokia wireless charging accessory. Charging via the PC only outputs around 100-500 mA, whereas the Nokia charger output is 1300 mA.

Hard key reset:
1. With the phone turned off, press Power key to turn ON the phone (or with the phone turned off, plug in a Nokia charger, connected to a power source of course), then immediately press and hold Volume Down key.
2. An ?!? mark will appear on the display.
3. Press the following keys in this order:
o Volume up
o Volume Down
o Power Key
o Volume Down
o Device will now reset.
NOTE: During the reset, there will be (2) gear rotating on the display for up to 5 minutes, after which the display will go blank for ~30 seconds. This is normal.
NOTE: Resetting the phone will erase all user data, including Nokia Maps. You will have to reinstall the Nokia Maps via WiFi.

Once the phone is reset, make sure you have the latest SW update by going to settings>phone update>check for updates.

Jana at Nokia
He's already tried everything, looks like. He also opened a case with Nokia, and will probably be shipping the phone to them soon.

Best of luck, David! I'm sorry your first experience with an 822 was a bad one...hope your next Nokia is better :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise