Please tell me your experiences with the 822? Is it a good quality device? I assume it will receive the next gen update? What's the differences between it and the new Nokia announced today?

I previously had the trophy is it a huge upgrade compared to that?

thanks!
    05-14-2013 10:20 PM
    Please tell me your experiences with the 822? Is it a good quality device? I assume it will receive the next gen update? What's the differences between it and the new Nokia announced today?

I previously had the trophy is it a huge upgrade compared to that?

thanks!
    I don't own 822, but I think it's a good quality device. Haven't heard of any issues with it.
    Having said that, Lumia 925(announced today) and Lumia 928(for Verizon announced before 2 days) are higher end devices than 822. All phones should theoretically receive updates
    unless Verizon screws up(unlikely). If price is not a factor for you, then 925 and 928 are better than 822 IMO.
    05-14-2013 11:10 PM
    I have an 822, it's been a great phone. I upgraded from a Trophy as well and it's a huge difference.
    • Bigger
    • the screen is much brighter
    • LTE is so much faster than 3G
    • the phone feels more solid (dropped my phone 15 feet, bounced, landed in water, still worked)
    • Expandable storage
    • Access to Nokia exclusive apps
    • Windows Phone 8 is a great upgrade over 7.X
    • Wireless charging add-on is good

The 928 is slightly bigger, has more onboard storage (32GB vs 16GB, though 822 has a microSD slot), has a better camera (8.7MP vs 5MP) and screen (HD vs not HD), wireless charging built in (vs needing a separately purchased back cover). It is a better device, though not considerably. Performance-wise I don't think you'd notice a difference. You'd be happy with the 822, which is $0 on contract vs. $99 for the 928. Go with the 928 if you need an HD screen, more onboard storage (can't install apps on 822's microSD card), and/or a better camera.

I would agree that the 822 should receive all future updates that the 928 does. There's no reason it shouldn't.
    05-14-2013 11:19 PM
    I'm IT where I work. We have 6 822's now. The first 2 had zero problems. The next 3 have Exchange Active Sync issues supposedly caused by VZW router issues....there is a workaround. The last 822 shut off randomly...while not in use. VZW exchanged and the replacement has had zero problems.

Having said all that, my 822 was the second company purchase. I've personally added a 64 GB micros SDXC card, a wireless charging back, and the DT-910 wireless charging stand. The 822 replaced my personal 1st gen Samsung Focus. My 822 is my primary MP3 player. I have about 3 GB free on the SD card, the rest is music. My 822 spends most of the working day on the charging stand playing music through my Bluetooth JamBox. My 822 is wrapped in an OtterBox Defender. No effect on the wireless charging.

Call quality is excellent. Battery life is good. None of us are gamers. They're used as typical business phones. Three of our users upgraded from BlackBerry Curves. These guys took to the 822/WP8 like ducks to water. One of our newest users started taking pictures and videos on construction job sites. The camera is very adequate for this use. Two of our users are on-the-road salespeople and live on their phones via email (Exchange), voice, and text. One of our salespeople is coming from his personal Android and has zero complaints (his is the latest purchase, the one that shut off randomly).

I have a new-in-box 822 in my office. Its been here for two months and Is meant to replace our last BB. We won't replace the BB until it dies or until we pry it out of our salesman's cold, dead, hands<g>. He hates change of any kind.

We are a construction company. We have around 10 iPhone 4's for our foremen and superintendents....only because there was not an OtterBox Defender available for VZW's one and only WP available at the time, the HTC Trophy.

We also have two Androids. One guy (estimating, HTC Thunderbolt) is a Windows hater. The other guy (major account rep, Motorola Droid 4)) had to have a physical keyboard. We have an HTC Trophy that will be upgraded to an 822 this summer. The boss lady has an HTC Arrive. She loves Sprint and wanted a physical keyboard.

Having personally set up each and every one of our phones, I can easily recommend the 822 to anyone. I don't understand why its considered a mid-level phone. I'd call it top of the line. Very nice screen size and display quality. Nice camera. 16 GB built-in. Expandable storage. NFC. 4G. Wireless charging option. Replaceable battery. Nokia quality. Nokia apps. Office built-in. Fits in the hand nicely. No sharp edges. Easily slips in the pocket (without the OtterBox). Its a free upgrade at VZW. Sure, there are other phones that have a better camera. Some have longer battery life. Some are available in more colors. Some have bigger screens. Some may have better audio quality. The 822 does it all, very competently, and at an extremely affordable price.

To answer your question, the 822 is a major upgrade from the Trophy.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-15-2013 07:55 AM
    I have had the 822 since it first came out on Verizon so I paid something like $150 and I am completely happy with the phone. Mlcooper54, above, did a great job of explaining the features. I won't be upgrading to a new "better" phone unless it has a removable battery and I can put my 64GB microSD card in it, like I can with the 822. (Unless someone comes out with a great physical keyboard like my HTC TouchPro2 had.)
    05-15-2013 08:30 AM
    I agree with what others have said. I was holding out for the 928, but my wife got an 822, and when I found out there was no microSD on the 928, it was an easy choice for me to get the 822. So far I am very happy with my choice. It really is a great phone that doesn't get the spotlight because it's specs don't look like anything special.

I also found the camera to be very nice for what I would expect on a phone, and is leaps and bounds better than the trophy.

All that and free on contract makes it almost a no brainer to me.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-15-2013 10:40 AM
    I switched from Android to the 822. I love it. It has so many features that make life easier. Even controls my Xbox. Give it a try, you will get hooked.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-15-2013 03:23 PM
    I too came from trophy and as everyone has stated, it is a huge upgrade. The 822 is a great phone. I am over due for upgrade, but will be sticking with this one. Now, if I was in the market for a new one and had the money I would give the 928 a look. My only complaints about the phone are some of the tweaks the os need that everyone talks about.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    05-15-2013 09:04 PM