transferring music from phone memory to SD card

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've discovered that some programs on the 822 do not work with the sd card (example: podcast programs) and thus I need to clear up some internal memory on the phone. Is there some easy way to transfer my music to the sd card from internal memory or, failing that, some easy way to delete all music and reinstall it on the sd card? Thanks.

Richard Szalay

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm the author of Podcaster and I've had a look into this. Unfortunately, write-access to SD is not a feature that is made available to third party developers (ie. not Microsoft/Nokia/etc).

Here's the response I got from Gilles Khouzam (Senior Dev Lead on WP):

I’ve checked around and I’m afraid that non-public access to the SD card is only given to OEMs, it’s not a permissions that would be given to 3rd party developers

You could try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it from an SD card. This article seems to imply that this will install it onto the SD, but I'm dubious personally. Still, might be worth trying.

Last edited:

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is more information than I expected and thank you for your research. It strikes me as odd to have additional memory capabilities and then deny access to that additional memory on the part of app developers. By the way, I'm using your app on the surface pro. Thanks for that, too.

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. But it is probably not the only thing I'm confused about.

Back to the problem at hand. Since the windows phone does allow music to be stored on the SD card, and since I mistakenly stored it in internal memory, is there some easy way to move it to the sd card or should I just delete and start all over, this time installing to the sd card?

Richard Szalay

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, someone in another thread has confirmed my suspicion that installing from an SD card won't install on the SD card. I'll be adding a "delete after playing" to a future version but, other than that, the only thing you can do is wait for Microsoft to support SD access for third party developers.

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I think the answer to this current problem is to move the music files from the internal phone memory to the sd card memory and then delete the files in the internal memory. It takes a while, but the Nokia music program picked up the change seamlessly. And, not surprisingly, working with windows folders on a windows phone is relatively easy. But why Microsoft would limit your choices given the otherwise competitive advantage it gets from expanded memory is puzzling, to say the least.

bjgurion

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, your comment "to move the music files from the internal phone memory to the sd card memory"...

That is the thing i can not do. Do you know exactly the process by which you can transfer music files from the phone memory to the SD card?

Thanks in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro