Nokia Lumia 822 Charging Port Breaking?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I found a local who would do it for $75. If I get a chance I think I'll try to find a video to see if I can do it myself. I'm not above soldering on a circuit board if the connections aren't too small.

Webberly

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Does the charging port for the Lumia 810 require soldering? Mine just recently quit working and I can do some repairs, but I don't have the tools for soldering. Thanks for any help

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't taken a Lumia apart yet... Last phone I disassembled was an HTC Arrive. I tried to resolder the connections on my step-daughter's phone, but my soldering iron and my old eyes just couldn't fix connections that small.

xPutNameHerex

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue on my Lumia 822. How portable is the wireless charging stuff? I have a portable battery unit that I can plug into any microUSB device (fits in my pocket easily) that I take with me on long bus trips to charge my phone on the go, so I'd really like my solution to be something easily portable. I think I might still have warranty so I should check that as well.

Jessica Corbin

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys my phone (the lumia 822) stopped charging and i read online i could go wireless. I purchased the charging shell and the charging plate but my phone isn't charging. Is it because the battery is completely dead? I'm not sure what to do there's no light indicating a charge and my phone won't turn on the battery is too low.

Marko313

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh I am so happy to see other people talking about this. Believe it or not I am on my second Lumia 822 going on my third because my charger port just broke Saturday the 8th. The Verizon support line made me feel crazy asking me was it just the charger itself then would refer me to someone else and they would ask the same thing. I like Windows Phones and this is the only set back I have with it. I also have a wireless charger that I can use in the mean time until I get a replacement but that's more of a stationary charger to me and I hate to have to carry that around every where I go. I feel that this problem will continue to occur even after getting another Lumia replacement phone, and that is why I also feel that either Verizon or Nokia should give all the customers that have purchased this phone a better replacement in the mean time. I do not know if this problem happens with all Nokia Lumia phones but when I do finally get my upgrade (next year) I will still get another Windows Phone but it definitely wont be made by Nokia.

Sparkknock

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem and need to know how to take it apart. I have screws out but it wont separate. Please get back to me at gpkidder@gmail.com with a website or tutorial on how it comes apart. I have silver epoxy that I used on a laptop charging port. THANKS TO ALL.

I had taken my laptop to shop and had it soldiered, the chip next to it burnt out ruining the motherboard because the guy that had done the job got that chip hot with his soldering iron. I saw the marks on the chip where it had touched. He would not replace it bc it worked 3 days.

Sparkknock

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem and need to know how to take it apart. I have screws out but it wont separate. Please get back to me at gpkidder@gmail.com with a website or tutorial on how it comes apart. I have silver epoxy that I used on a laptop charging port. THANKS TO ALL.

I had taken my laptop to shop and had it soldiered, the chip next to it burnt out ruining the motherboard because the guy that had done the job got that chip hot with his soldering iron. I saw the marks on the chip where it had touched. He would not replace it bc it worked 3 days

littleslink

May 8, 2014
Visit site
My phone did not charge last night and had problems with it last week where it did not want to charge with wall charger. The device driver wont read when I plug it into my computer now (home or work) and where I could charge it with a usb to my power jack in the vehicle, it does not want to play with that either. I'm seeing people give mixed feedback about the wireless charging and I'm wondering if I'm not just better off replacing the phone since I have insurance vs. purchasing a wireless charger and risk that not working. Thoughts?

lkcullen

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I am on my second Lumia 822. The first one, the charging port stopped working after almost 2 years. Now the second one is broken...and it's been 5 1/2 months. It's the charging port again. So...it's covered by the warranty and they're sending me a new one...actually, they informed me that the one they will be sending is "refurbished".

I wonder how long it will take for the charging port to die on this one. :eck:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys my phone (the lumia 822) stopped charging and i read online i could go wireless. I purchased the charging shell and the charging plate but my phone isn't charging. Is it because the battery is completely dead? I'm not sure what to do there's no light indicating a charge and my phone won't turn on the battery is too low.
The phone needs to be powered up to charge. I guess you can't charge it normally? See if you can get some charge in it some how, turn it on, then try it again. Unlike Android phones, Lumias won't charge while powered off.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone did not charge last night and had problems with it last week where it did not want to charge with wall charger. The device driver wont read when I plug it into my computer now (home or work) and where I could charge it with a usb to my power jack in the vehicle, it does not want to play with that either. I'm seeing people give mixed feedback about the wireless charging and I'm wondering if I'm not just better off replacing the phone since I have insurance vs. purchasing a wireless charger and risk that not working. Thoughts?
While I can't say with any certainty, I believe the wireless would still work if your problem is just the USB port. Wireless charging is a wonderful thing in my opinion, but if you aren't sure why the phone isn't charging you may be better off replacing the phone.

Jared Crookston

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with the 822. We ended up going the wireless charging route too, and haven't had any problems at all with that. It wasn't until I was trying to deploy an app from Visual Studio for testing that I began to curse the stupid USB port again.

Jessie Peters

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I am currently on my third 822 for the same reason! My two brothers got one the same day as me, they never had a problem. I have sent mine in thrice now, and this one is just now doing it! It seems to be every six months or so. I charge my phonon at night, too, and it's very frustrating to wake up, knowing it was charging in that position when you went to bed, and the battery is dead. :angry:

Jessie Peters

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Oh I am so happy to see other people talking about this. Believe it or not I am on my second Lumia 822 going on my third because my charger port just broke Saturday the 8th. The Verizon support line made me feel crazy asking me was it just the charger itself then would refer me to someone else and they would ask the same thing. I like Windows Phones and this is the only set back I have with it. I also have a wireless charger that I can use in the mean time until I get a replacement but that's more of a stationary charger to me and I hate to have to carry that around every where I go. I feel that this problem will continue to occur even after getting another Lumia replacement phone, and that is why I also feel that either Verizon or Nokia should give all the customers that have purchased this phone a better replacement in the mean time. I do not know if this problem happens with all Nokia Lumia phones but when I do finally get my upgrade (next year) I will still get another Windows Phone but it definitely wont be made by Nokia.

What is funny to me about this problem is Nokia was the indestructible brick phone for the longest time! Now this!!! :confused:

Factman

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Makes me nervous about upgrading to an Icon. Good thing is that the Icon has built-in wireless charging. Otherwise, I love my 822.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss