White Lumia 822 not getting Amber

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello. So, I bought this used White Lumia 822 off eBay and the seller forgot to include the SIM tray, so anyway, I turn it on without a SIM, log into my MS account and I see it's still on stock firmware, so I connect to WiFi, go to manual update and an update comes through, which is Portico I believe (10211).Now, I've been trying to get the Amber update but I keep getting the "your phone is up to date" message.

This seems weird to me, as just last week I updated a couple black 822s, hard reset, with no SIMs as well and they both went straight to Amber. I don't think I need to insert the Verizon SIM, do I? As I said, I never had to do that before. Or maybe I need to wait a few hours for the update to come through? Any thoughts?

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a white Lumia 822 and it got the GDR2/Amber update as soon as Verizon started pushing them out.
OS Version 8.0.10327.77
Firmware : 3045.0000.1328.1031

Kenkie Reyes

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
i'm having the same issue...after trying to check updates, it always says that the phone is up to date wherein my firmware is only 10211. is there a way to manual flash the amber update for black? and where to download the needed file? Thanks in advance

agnimidhun

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... I too have a White 822 which was with Portico update. Due to the issues with it when using on non-verizon networks, I flashed it to pre-portico. After the news for Amber update, it did say that an update is available and installed an update. But the version numbers remained the same as old ones. The phone has become sluggish and I see no Radio, Lumia Storage check does not work.

It always says that the phone is up to date :(

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Some White 822's definitely got the Amber update but that was over a week ago from what I can tell. My old 822 got the update fine (but it got permanently stuck in the gears after downloading the update). The second 822 doesn't show the update and can't manually pull it up. Now, I have a 928 and the same thing, says it is up to date and can't manually pull Amber/GDR2.

Someone posted in the 928 forums that they were told by Verizon and Nokia that the Amber/GDR2 update was put on hold until the end of September. I find that to be a very reasonable explanation. There are way too many problems with this update that it's probably costing them money, better to work out whatever is causing so many bricked phones and then push the update out after the bugs have been fixed. I don't think there were anywhere near this many problems with Portico. I've only seen the one person mention it being put on hold (and they are new to the WPCentral community). I plan to call Nokia later today and will let you know if I hear the same thing again, but to me, it makes sense, because whether the update is pushed gradually or not, it should be available regardless when you call it up manually once it's available for the particular phone on the Verizon servers.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so the bottom line I'm guessing is, who the heck knows what's going on?

I called Nokia, then realized I could do chat online and bypass the phone wait and did that instead so it wasn't as much of a disruption. They said that the rollout was ongoing and that it wasn't placed on hold. Not saying the other person was lying, but that's what they said at 10 a.m. via chat. Okay, fine. I switch over my service from a replacement White 822 to a replacement white 928. Done and working fine, but without any updates on either.

Who knows why it worked this time because I'm telling you, I checked no less than 10 times yesterday if the update would load...I checked the 928 one more time for the update and it's suddenly there and updating right now. Not sure what that means. I honestly wouldn't have checked again until notified but I'm still in possession of the replacement 822 that is working great and I thought if the update bricked the 928, I'd happily keep the 822 and just wait for things to be worked out on the update front.

So, it's updating now and I'm reminded, this is how it is supposed to work, no problems, just a smooth painless process that is well under an hour from start to finish. Much different than that 12 hour ridiculous gear watching wait on my original 822 that was probably bricked in the first hour.

No idea if checking again on your White 822's will work, maybe it was just this phone that was able to update again now, maybe it's the 928's that were allowed to again. I'm not checking the update on the 822 at this point, I want to send it back in good working order. But check again if you want to, no amount of checking repeatedly work for me on the 822 or 928 before and this one time did it for the 928. Go figure. Good luck.

But again, the main point to take away from this is, that when I contacted Nokia, they said the update was not on hold, so that doesn't seem to be an explanation at this point, unless they haven't passed that word down to their customer care agents. And I asked specifically about both the 822 and the 928, I said both Verizon phones and said the model numbers and they said neither was on hold just that it was a gradual rollout.

Kenkie Reyes

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your informative post nwildcat, because of that I also tried to check again if i have an update for my black 822 and to my surprise the update push thru. Atlast, i have an AMBER Lumia 822...

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's great! I'm glad it worked out for you. I have to believe there was some sort of hold put on the update for the last week or so but they didn't make that widely known. Entirely too many people who went to update weren't able to in the last week or so and as of yesterday, several have reported like you and me, trying again and it working. I doubt all of our serial numbers just got rolled into the update at the same exact time.

agnimidhun

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Yayy.. To my surprise, the update was pushed on to my phone too yesterday... I was trying to cleanup the Phone Memory when this notification for update popped up :) Yet to see the new features... Checked that I have radio now (really useful in Mumbai) and that the firmware version now starts with 30... So I have AMBER update now :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte