Verizon 822

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have both the 822 (backup) and the 928 which is the only phone I use now. I looked at the 8x originally, but the design of the 822 won me over. I never compared the two side beside, but I wouldn't have a problem recommending the 822 as a mid level phone.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else notice Verizon no longer has the 822 listed on their website? I wonder if this would possibly mean a new one is coming...or perhaps Verizon is just dropping WP support already slowly.

VZW has the Samsung Ativ Odyssey, 8X, 928, and (at some point) the 929. They also released the GDR2 update for the 822 well ahead of AT&T. How does exactly are they dropping support for WP?

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
VZW has the Samsung Ativ Odyssey, 8X, 928, and (at some point) the 929. They also released the GDR2 update for the 822 well ahead of AT&T. How does exactly are they dropping support for WP?

I was just asking for others opinions. Perhaps they're dropping support I said because they sure don't seen to push WP8 very hard. Everytime I have been in store or on the phone with a rep they grumble at the mention of WP. They don't have the options for WP as other carriers do and Verizon has had plenty of Android phones longer than they offered the 822 for.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have both the 822 (backup) and the 928 which is the only phone I use now. I looked at the 8x originally, but the design of the 822 won me over. I never compared the two side beside, but I wouldn't have a problem recommending the 822 as a mid level phone.

Before I bought the 822 I had the 8X on preorder and then went in store and even though the 8X by far had the better resolution the 822 had a crisper screen to me.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I liked the 8X better, but the flimsy power button and the paint issues drove me away. I was amazed at the pic processing speed coz of the dedicated image processor, I wish Nokia would have implemented something similar for the 1020 to speed up the whole experience.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised they removed it since it was their best selling WP. The fact that they still have the Odyssey is kind of surprising as well since it supposedly didn't sell that well. And as far as I can tell it didn't get group texting in the last update.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised they removed it since it was their best selling WP. The fact that they still have the Odyssey is kind of surprising as well since it supposedly didn't sell that well. And as far as I can tell it didn't get group texting in the last update.

The Odyssey didn't get group texting in gdr2?

I think the fact that they pulled the 822 is a good sign. It means more NOK devices will be coming to VZW very soon.

K Boston

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

WOW they dropped the 822??? Mines a great phone. WTF Verizon, the dang phone ROCKS! Verizon needs to get their act together with Windows Phones. Anything new on the horizon will be released six months later than AT&T. I'm big on Windows Phones and if Verizon doesn't want to support their WP user base\community, then I'll have to go to AT&T. I was just about to get an 822 for my wife dang it! :unhappy:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was just asking for others opinions. Perhaps they're dropping support I said because they sure don't seen to push WP8 very hard. Everytime I have been in store or on the phone with a rep they grumble at the mention of WP. They don't have the options for WP as other carriers do and Verizon has had plenty of Android phones longer than they offered the 822 for.

Yeah, Verizon doesn't push WP8. But part of that is the limited phones available. Like you said, Android has a zillon phones available, it's easy to recommend them. Plus, there's more chance of selling an Android phone and getting some commission, vs selling one or two WP's a year. Until Microsoft and Nokia quit pushing out updates that nobody asked for (Glance for example) and start pushing updates that include basic functionality (custom text ringtone for example) that everyone has asked for, then WP will not get the market penetration needed to get the support from the store employees.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Verizon doesn't push WP8. But part of that is the limited phones available. Like you said, Android has a zillon phones available, it's easy to recommend them. Plus, there's more chance of selling an Android phone and getting some commission, vs selling one or two WP's a year. Until Microsoft and Nokia quit pushing out updates that nobody asked for (Glance for example) and start pushing updates that include basic functionality (custom text ringtone for example) that everyone has asked for, then WP will not get the market penetration needed to get the support from the store employees.

And also separate volumes. That's a big one for me.

The reps are so biased. When I bought my 822 I went in specifically asking for the WP and the rep made a face and goes why would you want that? I said because i like it, what's wrong with it and his response was it's no good.

Last month I was in the store for another reason and I asked if they sell a lot of WPs and the guy goes no, I wouldn't sell that to somebody. I only sell the iPhones or Galaxy's.

I think the reps are very uneducated about WP. I work in IT and with that I've found when somebody doesn't know something it's easier to bash it than it is to simply say I'm not familiar. I don't understand the mentality because hating something and not knowing are very different.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
And also separate volumes. That's a big one for me.

The reps are so biased. When I bought my 822 I went in specifically asking for the WP and the rep made a face and goes why would you want that? I said because i like it, what's wrong with it and his response was it's no good.

Last month I was in the store for another reason and I asked if they sell a lot of WPs and the guy goes no, I wouldn't sell that to somebody. I only sell the iPhones or Galaxy's.

I think the reps are very uneducated about WP. I work in IT and with that I've found when somebody doesn't know something it's easier to bash it than it is to simply say I'm not familiar. I don't understand the mentality because hating something and not knowing are very different.

I don't know if you're in pa but I think I had the same sales rep when I purchased my 822 and my trophy.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you're in pa but I think I had the same sales rep when I purchased my 822 and my trophy.

Eh, there's pretty much at least one of these ignorant sales associates in every Verizon store. It's like thinking someone else went to your local McDonald's because they bought a Big Mac.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I would bet that there's a 95% chance that it gets gdr3 and even 8.1. MS has said all phones will have an 18 month support cycle. These are feature updates, not maintence updates like old droids get that can be passed over.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The Odyssey didn't get group texting in gdr2?

I think the fact that they pulled the 822 is a good sign. It means more NOK devices will be coming to VZW very soon.

Turns out I was wrong. I originally asked my friend if it had it (I even instructed him how to check, as well as making sure he had the latest update), and he said he didn't see it on his. Well, my mom needed a new phone, and since the 822 was retired she got the Odyssey yesterday as the 8X and 928 are too big. After I updated it, group texting showed up (yay). The screen isn't as good as the 822's, but it feels better in the hand. It's a decent phone overall, but of course it's nothing spectacular.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I would bet that there's a 95% chance that it gets gdr3 and even 8.1. MS has said all phones will have an 18 month support cycle. These are feature updates, not maintence updates like old droids get that can be passed over.

This update cycle was updated to 36 months.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

garciaj85

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I work for a Verizon retailer. I think the 822 is an awesome phone. It's what I use. I love it. It is an EOL model though as its been out for almost a year now. I recommend WP to everyone but most people want androids or iPhones even though most androids we have on display don't function correctly and gives error msgs all the time. We also actually make more commission on windows phone btw.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss