I am TRYING To like Windows Phones

PlainNSimpleMan

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Nokia Lumia 822 for exactly 1 year and I will tell you I do love the user interface of windows phones because of the way I can make mine look my own. That is great.

I am frustrated that EVERY commercial, EVERY Ad, EVERY good app seems to favor the iOS and Android phones. If I want to stream something, sometimes I get the "I'm sorry but windows app not available" or whatever. Nothing trending is offered for windows phones it seems. Watch ANY commercial advertising ANYTHING (not microsoft) and there is an Android App and IOS app in their ad. Windows phones to me seem like a beautiful looking car that just wont start.

I don't like the Android or iPhone's user interface or the semmingly "got to have it" vibe that they give off. Everywhere I look, someone has a stinking iphone and although I am annoyed at this trendy garbage, I am considering switching because I cannot take windows phones being the last kid picked on the kick ball team.

It's too bad

PS I'm not asking you all to play the violin or to give me some wine with my cheese but, unless if for whatever reason I am missing something, please fill me in.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I am in the exact same position. I came from android just out of curiosity. I was very impressed with what i found . The longer i use it though the more i realise that it'll always be playing catch up. Sure I'm looking forward to 8.1 but that 'big update' is just bringing stuff that we should have had from the start. I really wanna stick with WP but its an uphill struggle .

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
My first smartphone was the Samsung Focus, back when WP7 first came out. I then moved to the HTC Titan and then finally the NL920. I love WP, but I do agree with your post. I took up the T-Mobile offer to pay off my termination fee and switch to them from AT&T. I traded in that old Focus (which they gave me $2 as trade-in) and bought a Nexus 5. I've always wanted to see what Android was about. To be honest, it's not that bad, at least on the Nexus 5. It is nice to see just about all the apps made available for you. Don't get me wrong, I still think WP is leaps and bounds better than android, but as many before me have said...it's not quite there yet. Maybe WP8.1 will do it...maybe WP9. I'll definitely be back...and I've still got my L920 to use when I miss it. Like you, I've gotten tired of waiting for WP to catch up or beat iOS and Android. I'll def be back to WP...hopefully soon.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
As much as i love it i don't agree that windows is leaps and bounds above android. The opposite in fact, the reason a lot of people give for liking this platform is how "lag free" and fluid it is. After an updated OS or 2 it'll start to feel it.

Angy Ortiz1

Banned
Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I was an android and iphone user for a long time and I decided to switch just to try something new and trust me I dont regret it. Windows phone is new and it is supposed to be like that, the important thing is what you like no matter what. One of the things i love the most about windows phone is that you grow along with it. You go to ios and everything is ready, I mean its not the samething when you use facebook on android knowing that it already has all the features that you like than using windows phone expecting a certain feature and suddenly they release it, the joy you feel is different. Sometime windows phone will be better than android and ios and i want to be present when that happens. We have the best camera phones, me hub, people hub, one screen that you can set like you wish millions of times, the glance notification is amazing, etc. those are things that most people dont know.

trust me, people who were on android and ios, when using windows phone they dont want to go back.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I used android on version 1.6, 2.2, 2.3, and all versions afterward. I also have a Lumia 521 windows phone. The app situation was just as bad when Android started out. I remember when Temple Run took forever to get on Android, and that was a couple of months before Jelly Bean was released. Most android phones are still on Jelly Bean and Android has the same number of apps as iOS (more or less) and Android has a larger market share worldwide. I'm sure Windows Phone will accelerate rapidly when Windows Phone 8.1 is released, just like when Android version 4.0+ was released.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Nokia Lumia 822 for exactly 1 year and I will tell you I do love the user interface of windows phones because of the way I can make mine look my own. That is great.

I am frustrated that EVERY commercial, EVERY Ad, EVERY good app seems to favor the iOS and Android phones. If I want to stream something, sometimes I get the "I'm sorry but windows app not available" or whatever. Nothing trending is offered for windows phones it seems. Watch ANY commercial advertising ANYTHING (not microsoft) and there is an Android App and IOS app in their ad. Windows phones to me seem like a beautiful looking car that just wont start.

I don't like the Android or iPhone's user interface or the semmingly "got to have it" vibe that they give off. Everywhere I look, someone has a stinking iphone and although I am annoyed at this trendy garbage, I am considering switching because I cannot take windows phones being the last kid picked on the kick ball team.

It's too bad

PS I'm not asking you all to play the violin or to give me some wine with my cheese but, unless if for whatever reason I am missing something, please fill me in.

You are clearly the kind of person that is more concerned with trends and "hotness" than utility. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. But I would direct you to the iPhone, it much more suits what you are looking for than WP.

I personally couldn't care less about the latest game or app. I have a smartphone for use as a tool. The iPhone is good as a tool, but insanely over-priced and not nearly customizable to my personal tastes. Android is a cluster-f*ck, those phones are useless, I don't care how many apps they have. WP is simply far better at being a tool for making my life easier than the other OS'es and is a much better value on top of that. And the apps are gorgeous on WP, much more so than the apps on either iOS or Android. So WP works for me. To each his own.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

It's too bad

I don't think we will ever see those apps for windows phone. As much as I hear complaints about android I'm having the total opposite effect my z1s is working just as fluid as my 810 with gdr3. It rebooted one time since I've had the phone and that was after I dropped it. As far as being bored with an os is just silly to me I really don't care about it either way. I just need something that works for me and sony's ui is a nice touch to 4.3. I've had two nokia phones and both of them needed far more attention than my sony phone. I have all the apps that I need and that feeling of being denied or out of the loop is long gone. Heck I'm back playing tapped out and that game will never ever be written for windows phone. Having a blast picking up where i left off a year ago. I was playing that game on an ipad but it crapped out so I quit playing it. When I got my sony phone the first thing I dl'd was the geico app and some banking apps that will never be written for wp's

Although I'm quite new to android I have no regrets going to this os and the phones hardware is just what i was looking for 32g internal with sd slot 5" screen and water proof. Best battery life in a phone. I'm glad I made the switch the boy in the plastic bubble syndrome is long gone. Honestly I don't see wp succeeding devs just don't bother to write apps for this platform. The os lacks basic functions that should have been in the phone in the first place. Nokia is building phones with micro storage and no sd support, I can't back up my wp to my pc which is just plain stupid imo. Syncing music is still a terrible mess with wp and they still have not fixed it or just refuse to. Certain phones getting denied updates that the phone should have had in the first place. If they are still around in a few years they will still be lacking in the app dept, typical phone functions will still be missing.

PlainNSimpleMan

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
trends and hotness? I want a phone tracker app to track my kids like the one my friend has with android. The ones windows offers suck and they update every 30 minutes. 30 minutes? Great so when my kid walks to school I wont be able to track him at all.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Simply put, Windows Phone or any OS is not for everyone so no reason to torture yourself, switch and enjoy what works for you.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
c'est la vie

It's too bad

Please forgive me for asking:
Why is this so important?

Look up not down.
I just have difficulty understanding why a number of device users become overly passionate about the world of iOS, Android or WP.

Was life so difficult before the smartphone showed up?

anon(4895989)

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I stay with Windows phone because of the interface, and features. The thing I hate the most is that they don't push the Xbox branding, developers have saidd getting Xbox branding is way too hard. I believe them, but some teams still make it happen and thank you to them. As for WP being picked last at kickball, I say "so what". In 7-11 today i noticed lots of material advertising their app. none of it says available for Windows Phone butI used the app today to make a purchase. There may never be parity between mobile operating systems, we may always be third as long as they keep pushing the os, and improving it I'm in.

I'm in
because of this "I don't like the Android or iPhone's user interface or the semmingly "got to have it" vibe that they give off."

because people who aren't even tech saavy dismiss everything that isn't popular, and I'm in because it works for me. Have i been frustrated with features that WP is missing at times hell yes. I left Android for windows phone 7, and my only look back from 8 was becasue of Xbox music and missing Zune features (Zune which I never used before WP)

I tell everyone if you can't take it anymore drop WP go where you will but keep an eye on it. Eventually what you dislike will be fixed or it will matter less because it has been replaced by more things you like.

just my two cents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb