Am I crazy for wanting an 822 over iPhone 5S?

dmagic17

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Background: My company pays my phone bill (unlimited everything) but only offers iPhone and Android. Doesn't really make sense as we use all microsoft products (including Lync as our standard messenger) but it is what everyone preferred. They allowed me to bring over my Lumia until I'm due for an upgrade at which point I would have to choose iPhone or Android so I did, but the screen shattered yesterday. They said I could have an iPhone 5s or get my phone fixed at my cost and use it until I want to upgrade.

I took the iPhone just to have something to use and I really don't like it. I can't replicate the things I liked the most about WP and it drives me crazy after years of being on WP.

So am I crazy to want my bulky, old, low res 822 over the sleek 5s? I do like the size and the fact that there are a handful of apps I can't get on WP, but for the most part I would struggle to live without Glance, live tiles, or an email counter that resets after you open the app (i.e. iPhone says I have 9,000 unread emails, WP uses more of an "unviewed" counter which is how it should be).

Let me know what you think!

Connor Price

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Not at all, use what's best for you. No point in using something that you don't get along with because 'everyone else is', or 'everyone else wanted it'. In terms of your situation, as your company is paying for everything phone related, couldn't you get a Windows Phone as a personal phone if you're missing it?

DeerSteak

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Bummer about your situation. My employer pays the phone bill for certain positions, and at least one person has a Windows device, so it doesn't seem to be a limitation. I'm not one of those people, though.

I'm an iPhone 5s owner. I just bought an 822 used on Amazon for $70, should be here in the next couple days. I took a couple online classes in C# and WP8.1 development on Microsoft Virtual Academy. Microsoft really wants people developing on the platform, and it shows with all the free training materials that they give away. Contrast that with Android and iOS and it's hard to get that in-depth development training for free. Anyhow, my plan is to use a nano-to-micro SIM adapter and use the Lumia, at least for a while, and get the next Microsoft flagship once VZW offers it (assuming they do). Just using the emulator, it's a super-cool platform.

So long story short - could you go that same route, at least for a while, and pick up a used 822? That's gotta be cheaper than getting it repaired, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3