What's my upgrade path? Suggestions wanted.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
So team, I have gone through a circuitous path that involved me going from Verizon to AT&T and back to Verizon again. This means that I'm back to using my Lumia 822 (glad I held onto it! Much cheaper than buying an Icon or a HTC One!).

However, while the device is my favorite phone I've EVER had and is surprisingly snappy with the 8.1 preview, I figure that at two years old, I'm going to want to upgrade it at some point.

Let me tell you about my use case. I have found, having owned the 1520, 1020, 822 and 635 (long an involved story.) that I am much more likely to reach for a tablet when it's time to do serious stuff, and my phone is mostly used for e-mail, web browsing, pictures, reading a few books and, well, calling people. I'm also big on Glance.

So let's say that hypothetically that come January or whenever, Verizon has released the 8.1 upgrade to the Icon, the HTC One M8 is still around, and (just for funsies) the 830 and the 735 are both on that carrier. What would YOU recommend that I go with, and why?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Icon. First with WP I would stick with Nokia. HTC's updates have been sketchy over the long run. Also the here sweet of apps is worth its weight in gold, I think. Also nokia's are made as Nokia phones not an year old android phone running wp8.1. The icon is a great phone it takes a step from the 920 which I love. Solid phone, great feel, not too big, not gimicky and best hardware. Just my opinion though. Plus HTC seemed to have many more bugs with the dp program from reading posts and this program will be how many users get wp10 months before the rest.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
1520 or 830. Much better choice than 930 if sd slot and glance are important. Also I'm unsure of HTCs level of commitment to WP, as they haven't released even the 8.1 update yet for HTC 8x, so I wouldn't really recommend it over a Nokia.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the main question is what would you like that you don’t have. Two years in with my 822, my answer keeps coming back to a few apps that aren’t available for WP and may never be (like an app for our home automation system which can be controlled from any Apple or Android device, but no luck with WP.) Other than my own version of the app gap, the phone works as well as ever (maybe even a little better with 8.1), and I save a few bucks every month for having an out-of-contract phone. Now, if Apple ever offered wireless charging and the kind of control of the start screen I get from WP, I might be headed for an iPhone.

kyderr

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking around these lines. I love my 822. Wireless charging, SD Expansion. I cannot find these options in a new phone. HTC One. Looks good, No wireless charging? And no one has made a case for it to work. Now I am gonna wear out my port constant unplugging and replugging? Nokia on Verizon does not have a flagship. Icon is nice, but no storage options? Grr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)