Official Lumia 830 specs+info - it's here!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I was hoping for slightly smoother performance on the 830 than I've seen on the 630/635 in stores.

The 830 demos you've seen so far were running the Denim firmware optimized for 8.1.1, secondly the 830 has 1GB RAM instead of 512MB. The additional RAM and updated firmware itself might have made the difference

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Why don't we just wait till we see some solid reviews before we assume the 830 is behind.

My 635 runs fine but lacks a solid camera. The 830 seems the be the perfect device for me.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Unless you have more money than you ever need, the reviews cannot save the 830, only a pre - release price drop around 40-50% could.

I thought about this in detail in this post: https://medium.com/adventures-in-co...-nokia-lumia-830-not-good-enough-768d45018442

Your entire argument is based on the notion that people only consider raw specifications when choosing a phone, and that raw specifications correlate directly with a product's value. The existence and overwhelming success of the iPhone disproves this, and thus your argument is fundamentally flawed.

The iPhone sells by the truckload at hugely inflated prices on the strength of brand awareness, reputation/image, performance, user experience, build quality etc. The market doesn't care how much RAM it has. Clearly I'm not suggesting Lumia/WP's brand awareness or reputation is a match for iPhone - not yet at least, indeed rectifying this is WP's main outstanding challenge now. On high-end models though I believe Lumias do compete on performance, user experience and build quality, and because of the quality and efficiency of the WP product they are able to achieve this level of performance without needing the internals that their Android equivalents often have, just as the iPhone does.

Personally, given the choice between paying ?300 for a Lumia 830 or ?300 for a Galaxy S-whatever with double the specs but built by Samsung and running Android, I know which one I'd pick.

And as for Apple's offering - well, my ?300 would only get me half a phone.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
When my brother had an SIII I could take his jabs at my windows phone because he had no 4G

He just upgraded to a Nexus 5
The 830 has nothing on it in any department. Save an extra 2MP which is hardly anything to write home about.
MS can crap on about challenging Apple and Android with the cheapest featured flagship but thats just marketing BS
When you look a bit deeper it fails miserably.
They need to drop the price big time.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Your entire argument is based on the notion that people only consider raw specifications when choosing a phone, and that raw specifications correlate directly with a product's value. The existence and overwhelming success of the iPhone disproves this, and thus your argument is fundamentally flawed.

The iPhone sells by the truckload at hugely inflated prices on the strength of brand awareness, reputation/image, performance, user experience, build quality etc. The market doesn't care how much RAM it has. Clearly I'm not suggesting Lumia/WP's brand awareness or reputation is a match for iPhone - not yet at least, indeed rectifying this is WP's main outstanding challenge now. On high-end models though I believe Lumias do compete on performance, user experience and build quality, and because of the quality and efficiency of the WP product they are able to achieve this level of performance without needing the internals that their Android equivalents often have, just as the iPhone does.

Personally, given the choice between paying ?300 for a Lumia 830 or ?300 for a Galaxy S-whatever with double the specs but built by Samsung and running Android, I know which one I'd pick.

And as for Apple's offering - well, my ?300 would only get me half a phone.

You have basically two thesises:
1) Apple can over-charge for their hardware, so can Microsoft.
2) Specs are (especially on Windows Phone) not important anymore.

And in my opinion they are both wrong.

@1)
No, they can't. Apple is special. If they decide that their flagship phone will only have 1 gig of ram, every app in the AppStore will run smoothly on the device. In addition, they have full controll over the hard- and software (including chip design!) and can really adjust them for each other.
I don't say that the iPhone 6 is reasonable priced, but a lot of people don't care and the reason is, that the iPhone 6 offers superior user experience compared to Android's latest-and-greatest flagships.

So much about Apple... I decided to not include them in the article because they are a completely different league. Nobody who thinks about getting a new iPhone compares it with the Lumia 830. Even Microsoft/Nokia said, that Windows Phone is not out there to battle Apple, they battle Android.

@2)
"they are able to achieve this level of performance without needing the internal" - oh man, how I hate this "argument". I hear it for half a decade now. This argument was already in place when Nokia screwed up Symbian by using old ARMv11 SoCs with 128 MB Ram...

Yes, Windows Phone "works" smooth with a Snapdragron 400 (even not soo bad with a 200er), but "working" means not much else than scrolling through the app list and managing email, sms and calendar items. For many apps, specs DO matter and the 830 could really make good use of additional power. With a Snapdragon 800, the 830 could shoot 4k video and use the tricks Microsoft just announced for the 1520 and 930. Don't you think that would be cool for a PureView branded flagship phone?
With the SD800 it could make use of the passive listening voice commands. It could be better for gaming than the almost 2 years old 920. And this is only what the 830 is missing out now. Who knows what the future will bring? HDR video capturing? Probably not on a SD 400. Windows Phone 9? Will work better on a SD800. Video editing? Better on 800. Some kind of Hyperlapse app? Will work faster on 800. And so on.

And again: I have no problem with the SD400 in an "affordable flagship". I have a problem with charging for a real flagship and deliver an "expensive mid-tier" device.

409? for SD 800 - 1080p screen - 4k video capture - 20 MP - Lumia 1520
449? for SD 800 - 1080p screen - 4k video capture - 20 MP - Lumia 930
399? for SD 400 - 720p screen - Full HD video capture - 10 MP - Lumia 830

And you think it has an appropriate price?

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
You have basically two thesises:
1) Apple can over-charge for their hardware, so can Microsoft.
2) Specs are (especially on Windows Phone) not important anymore.

And in my opinion they are both wrong.

I don't know, you seem to have adjusted my argument slightly in your summary, I didn't say either of them things.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying but a lot of it is relevant only to power users and enthusiasts. My argument was simply against your claim that the 830 is bound to 'fail' because of it's specs. The fact is that the vast majority of the buying public don't see it like you do and they haven't got a clue about specs at all. To them the 830 is a perfectly viable alternative to whatever Android has to offer in the same price bracket based on the things they care about, how it looks and feels to use to check your email, text, browse the web etc - they don't know what HDR or 4K video or a Snapdragon 400 is. They do know they love the slick 5" Clearblack screen and sexy metal edge though.

When you say the 830 will fail, you might be right. But the true threat to the its success is the mindshare-ratio that sits massively in Android's favour, naivety about what WP has to offer propagated by sales staff, poor marketing etc etc... not the processor it uses.

Last edited:

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't know, you seem to have adjusted my argument slightly in your summary, I didn't say either of them things.
Sorry, I probably went to far trying to sum up your points 😊.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying but a lot of it is relevant only to power users and enthusiasts. My argument was simply against your claim that the 830 is bound to 'fail' because of it's specs. The fact is that the vast majority of the buying public don't see it like you do and they haven't got a clue about specs at all. To them the 830 is a perfectly viable alternative to whatever Android has to offer in the same price bracket based on the things they care about, how it looks and feels to use to check your email, text, browse the web etc - they don't know what HDR or 4K video or a Snapdragon 400 is. They do know they love the slick 5" Clearblack screen and sexy metal edge though.
Two things:
1. They try to sell this s affordable flagship. And iI would think who is interested in such a device will compare prices.
2. Most people don't buy their phones alone. They either ask a friend who is a geek and knows this stuff out they'll ask the man behind the counter.

When you say the 830 will fail, you might be right. But the true threat to the its success is the mindshare-ratio that sits massively in Android's favour, naivety about what WP has to offer propagated by sales staff, poor marketing etc etc... not the processor it uses.

To get propagated by sales staff it would definitely help to be specced like it's priced out priced like it's specced.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
409? for SD 800 - 1080p screen - 4k video capture - 20 MP - Lumia 1520
449? for SD 800 - 1080p screen - 4k video capture - 20 MP - Lumia 930
399? for SD 400 - 720p screen - Full HD video capture - 10 MP - Lumia 830

Also you, like many others, are comparing the announced launch price of the 830 with the price you can get a 930 for now, months into its availability, which is obviously wrong. We all know that prices are inflated at launch and often even more so on pre-orders and the price is likely to drop by a not insignificant amount in a very short time.

According to this article on GSM Arena the 930 was actually ?600 at launch from Cyberport in Germany, just a few months ago. It's now ?449.

So:

Launch price:
930 - ?600
830 - ?400

After just a few months:
930 - 25% reduction = ?450
830 - 25% reduction = ?300 (in theory)

This actually puts the cost of the 830 at just two-thirds that of the 930. Seems reasonable to me.

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Also you, like many others, are comparing the announced launch price of the 830 with the price you can get a 930 for now, months into its availability, which is obviously wrong.

Why should anyone compare the release prices and not the real, current prices? If I'm now looking for a phone, I have to pay 399? for a 830 and 409? for the 1520.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Why should anyone compare the release prices and not the real, current prices? If I'm now looking for a phone, I have to pay 399€ for a 830 and 409€ for the 1520.

Yes you do, but that's because with the 830 at the moment you're also paying an additional premium for being among the first to have the device. Not so with the 1520. So comparing the two isn't a fair comparison of the net values of the products themselves.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Why should anyone compare the release prices and not the real, current prices? If I'm now looking for a phone, I have to pay 399? for a 830 and 409? for the 1520.

I dunno either. Something about paying a premium to be the first one to own a budget flagship I guess.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I dunno either. Something about paying a premium to be the first one to own a budget flagship I guess.

It's disappointing that we have to endure forum members who can't engage in a discussion about something in which we all share a common interest without resorting to using attitude and sarcasm. I've seen others pull you up on the belittling nature of your posts in the past and it's not on. I for one won't be wasting my time replying to any more of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa