Official Lumia 830 specs+info - it's here!

dare100em

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah what was Dan smoking? Why the false hope? I can only think he was either trolling or got some wrong info.

There where several posts the last month which rise expectaions - only to fall very very hard.

I remeber a statment some month ago in a Threat regarding Win Phone failure/MS shareholders getting uncomfortable where he said something like "a dealbreaker is on the way, can't say more ATM" - which made me really interested. I guess it was the McLaren/3D-gesture back than but anyway even he seems to be fooled / let down by MS these days:cry:

If the 730/830 is all MS/Nokia bring up for holiday season - OMG. And it seems that way.

Last edited:

JW7

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My 820 contract recently finished, and I went pay as you go in order to get the 830 when it comes out. Now I'm not so sure. I'm worried that the poor processor will be the equivalent of the 512mb bottleneck on low range devices. Especially with windows phone getting more app/game parity with ios and android. Developers will make more processor intensive games because they can be handled by other OS' - in that sense this phone could be obsolete in 6 months

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I genuinely feel misled. Aside from all the stuff about this being an affordable "flagship," he clearly said a "Snapdragon quadcore processor," which wouldn't be a SD400. I'm a bit disappointed.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My 820 contract recently finished, and I went pay as you go in order to get the 830 when it comes out. Now I'm not so sure. I'm worried that the poor processor will be the equivalent of the 512mb bottleneck on low range devices. Especially with windows phone getting more app/game parity with ios and android. Developers will make more processor intensive games because they can be handled by other OS' - in that sense this phone could be obsolete in 6 months

Honestly, if you don't have huge gaming expectations, I don't think there is a rational reason to worry about the CPU in this device. The problem with that statement is that humans aren't rational beings.

When we buy a new device, we want it to be an upgrade over what we already had. Unfortunately, as far as the CPU is concerned, this isn't an upgrade over what you had in your 820. That is the problem. This won't be important to everyone, but for those of us who are interested in computing technology and view the CPU/GPU as the heart of any computing device, that is a bit of a let down.

The thing is, with over half of WP's market share being 512MB devices (some of which have slower CPUs still), there are few reasons to want anything faster. Nobody will develop apps that will push the 830 to its limits. Games however, particularly those that are demanding on hardware, and more importantly, those that are ported over from iOS and Android may be problematic. I doubt you'll find instances where a game simply won't work, but you'll likely not get the same fluidity or graphics fidelity that you would using a device with a better CPU/GPU combo.

Of course, using a CPU such as this also has an upside... longer battery life. For me personally, that is far more important than being able to play games (I hate the gaming experience on smartphones and much prefer a PC for such entertainment).

For me personally this is a pretty good device and I'll likely end up getting it anyway (mainly because I'm not thrilled with the 930 and even less so with the 1520). However, if I was on a budget, then I'd be taking a very close look at the 730 to determine if it doesn't also do the job just as well.

I genuinely feel misled. Aside from all the stuff about this being an affordable "flagship," he clearly said a "Snapdragon quadcore processor," which wouldn't be a SD400. I'm a bit disappointed.

If 2 being smaller than 4 is your only issue, then have at it! This does include a quad core SoC.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel so disappointed after Daniel Rubino's tweets from yesterday saying, essentially, "oh, don't worry, that report of an SD400 is wrong."

I think the SD400 is probably a deal breaker for me. Even if they had pushed back the release and included a SD 610, I would've been quite keen on this (with a bump in price). As it is, I don't see how this is significantly more impressive than the Moto G (other than the camera). I'm sure the Moto G is going to be quite competitive on price.

anyone else feel let down?

Big time... not just by this phone, but by Microsoft as a whole. I believed in Windows Phone, and it never occurred to me that there'd be such a dearth in common sense with the lack of flagships here in the US. Really not sure what I'm going to do, but jumping ship to the Xperia line just got more appealing. First world problems I guess, but yes I'm quite disappointed.

garry bryant

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I was holding out for this to upgrade my 820, as I play games alot the processor seems to be a downgrade, which could possibly be a deal breaker for me, even though it looks like a really nice looking phone, such a shame really, now just hope they release a high end phone with SD card support.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How will the iffy processor, CPU/GPU, and RAM affect streaming video performance on this thing? Any insight?

Not at all, because neither the CPU nor the GPU play a critical role in that scenario. That is handled by an additional on-board media processor. The media processor is a comparatively simple piece of integrated circuitry and pretty much identical in all modern Qualcomm SoCs. You won't have any problems streaming video.

Another such area where people often make mistakes relates to the time it takes to process camera images, and how much time passes before you can take the next shot. A lot of people suspect that is all down to the CPU as well, when it too is the domain of a different piece of hardware. The DSP.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It's too bad they announced Hey Cortana! for S800 today. . .it's kind of blunting my excitement on this a little. I'm not spec driven, but announcing a really cool feature at the same time as you announce a phone that is too underpowered to get it is bound to cast a bit of a pall over the whole thing.

Battery life on my 920 is diving off a cliff, so here's the question: wait another 6 months for 20nm, 64-bit, futureproofing? Or bite now on a beautiful, affordable phone that has few quantitative improvements over the one I've got?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Not at all, because neither the CPU nor the GPU play a critical role in that scenario. That is handled by an additional on-board media processor. The media processor is a comparatively simple piece of integrated circuitry and pretty much identical in all modern Qualcomm SoCs. You won't have any problems streaming video.

Another such area where people often make mistakes relates to the time it takes to process camera images, and how much time passes before you can take the next shot. A lot of people suspect that is all down to the CPU as well, when it too is the domain of a different piece of hardware. The DSP.

Thanks for the insight. Although when I asked that I was assuming the 830 was coming to the U.S. as most leaks indicated, or that there'd at least be a U.S. LTE-compatible variant. Apparently that's not the case, just like the 930 (the other phone I wanted). Sheesh.

chuck232

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. Although when I asked that I was assuming the 830 was coming to the U.S. as most leaks indicated, or that there'd at least be a U.S. LTE-compatible variant. Apparently that's not the case, just like the 930 (the other phone I wanted). Sheesh.

There appear to be enough smoke (rumors and FCC listings) that indicate the 830 or some variant will show up in the States. With the carriers here moving towards separate device cost installments, a mid-range price point would actually make a difference, compared to a year ago, when the true device cost was hidden in the monthly subsidies, and it made less sense to get the "free" beater phone versus paying $100, up-front for a premium device.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There appear to be enough smoke (rumors and FCC listings) that indicate the 830 or some variant will show up in the States. With the carriers here moving towards separate device cost installments, a mid-range price point would actually make a difference, compared to a year ago, when the true device cost was hidden in the monthly subsidies, and it made less sense to get the "free" beater phone versus paying $100, up-front for a premium device.

I keep an eye on the FCC listings... have not seen any evidence of anything that looks like the 830 on that site.
I have seen the 730 and the 735 (RM-1038 and RM-1040)

Care to share where you saw the FCC listing for the 830?

I do believe there were leaks showing the Brazilian equivalent - but not the FCC.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Battery life on my 920 is diving off a cliff, so here's the question: wait another 6 months for 20nm, 64-bit, futureproofing? Or bite now on a beautiful, affordable phone that has few quantitative improvements over the one I've got?

You could always pick up a new battery off eBay and replace it to buy yourself a bit more time. I did it with my 920, it's surprisingly easy. See 3:30 - 4:30 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKd8tCAH-eY

The battery you're after is a BP-4GW, and they're cheap as chips now. You'll need a torx screwdriver too to get the case off (also available off eBay for next to nothing).

...BTW I also shoved a bit of sponge down the side of mine as it was loose and rattled a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe what DR was referencing was a separate, US-only, AT&T/T-Mobile compatible version of the 830 with a bigger camera and improved processor. . .right? Right? I have a hard time believing that WPC wouldn't tip us off to the fact that the 730 and 830 aren't coming to the US at all.

​/straws

str8jacket

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Where are you all getting that it's Dual Core? The Nokia product page says it's Snapdragon 400 Quad Core 1.2 GHz

Source: nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia830/specifications/

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
When are you guys are to understand that WP doesn't have the same power consumption as the Androids phones. The Snapdragon 400 is going to make the 830 one of the faster WP on the market. Just want the HTC M8 [WP] and HCT M8[ Android] and you see that WP OS is built to work faster and be more fluid in any devices and with any chip. That doesn't mean that a more powerful chip ain't welcome, but come on guys are you telling me that the M8 is better than the 830? I like each one of the three Lumias MS showed yesterday and I will get the 830 as soon as it gets to the USA.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
When are you guys are to understand that WP doesn't have the same power consumption as the Androids phones. The Snapdragon 400 is going to make the 830 one of the faster WP on the market.

Uhh, I understand this. What you obviously didn't read in my post is that I currently own a 920. For someone getting a first phone, or a first Windows Phone, the 830 will be great. It will not, however, be faster or an upgrade from a 920, which I think a lot of people here (who are just now coming off 2 year contracts with AT&T from a 920) were hoping for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077