920 to 830?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
a little twist here:

How about moving from 820 to 925 - no 920 in India, no 930 either :( - skipping the 830

2 things that goes against this thought for me are:
1) Non-Expandable memory - My vote goes for - It helps
2) It is not a brand new release unlike 830

I'd pass. You'll be getting a better camera and display, but the SoC is the exact same, and storage will be limited. The 925 would be a low-end option as a new phone for someone who never had a WP8 device before it, but as an upgrade for an 820, it makes little sense, unless it's dirt cheap and you really want the camera improvements.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Its interesting this discussion, while I can see why some would trade their 920 for the 830, If you are somebody who got the 920 on launch, I doubt the 830 will appeal to you, purely because the 830 is a small step up from the 920 - it clearly isnt a very high end smartphone, which the 920 was in its own right. I would wait it out for the real 920 successor..

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line (as I see it anyway): If you're going to buy it off contract and can thus sell it once a proper flagship/upgrade is available, go for it. If you're thinking of getting it on a two year contract, you're probably better off waiting for a more worthy successor, likely in the first half of 2015.

As a Windows Phone enthusiast and someone that prefers not to do the carrier/contract thing, I pretty much switch phones every year anyway (and sell my old one), so I plan on getting the 830 and am very much looking forward to it :)

Levi Meyer

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll will go from a Lumia 925 tot a Lumia 830 for sure! Why?
It has a sd-card slot,
It has a 5"display whit gorilla glass
Glance
Qi charging
Great Pureview camera
Removable battery
And it looks great!

Btw, it will be my first Lumia (had een L800, L820, L920 and L925 before) where I'm aware which cpu it has, never made a issue of it.
I'm confident that my device will work smoothly, has great camera performance, great support and looks wonderful!

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
SD cards today are not expensive your argument is irrelevant.
16gb + a 32gb SD card is more than you get in a 920. Also flagships like Galaxy S5 or HTC M8 come with 16gb storage and an SD card slot.
Most people store their music, videos and photos on the SD card and the performance impact is 0. Also you can install the less important apps or the maps for the navigation(if you travel you will download more maps). All big advantages. 32gb is not enough for a lot of people.

You attempt to down play 830's features is quite funny.
L822 was never available anywhere, and in my country people have option for 4g internet so it's a definite plus compared also compared with the fact that we only got the 820 here.
The 830 looks better and it's obvious for anybody. You say you don't like it although it does looks better. Well I don't care.

Anyway you are very confused. You said that the 830 and 820 are almost the same thing and that is totally false. The 735 and 730 are almost the same thing.

Try asking how many people here would think 32GB is insufficient. Mine has like 15GB free.

Levi Meyer

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Amazon.fr has the Lumia 735 en Lumia 830 priced on their website:

Lumia 735: ?229

Lumia 830: ?349

This looks like great prices!

Especially if you compare them with the release prices of the Lumia 820 en Lumia 920 (end of 2012): ?499 and ?599!!!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.fr has the Lumia 735 en Lumia 830 priced on their website:

Lumia 735: €229

Lumia 830: €349

This looks like great prices!

Especially if you compare them with the release prices of the Lumia 820 en Lumia 920 (end of 2012): €499 and €599!!!

I hope this signals an eminent release!

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I will upgrade from a Lumia 720 and thinking of Lumia 830 because the design is elegant. But I will consider a Lumia 925 on sale because it is similar in size with 720 (I am afraid that 830 is a bit larger)

Red_Dragon23

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Interesting,

This basically means that Amazon.com US should be getting it soon. I can't read French but is a release date stated anywhere?

StandbyMoho

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Great News. That's a really nice price, and it is Amazon who is selling the phone and it admits Pre-orders, so I guess that it is going to be the official price. In Amazon Spain there is one store selling one at 459 euros, but it's not Amazon.

Thaws for the info. I have been waiting for almost a year for one Windows Phone to substitute my Galaxy S 3. Lumia 930 has nice hardware, but it is to thick. I would have wanted something like he 830 with the hardware of the 930, but I am tired of waiting.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the overall user experience would be an upgrade for many 920 users once reviews start rolling in - bigger screen, good battery, great camera... and way less heavy. I'll wait for more info, then a deal, hopefully sometime during the holiday season... around $379 sounds reasonable to me.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a long *** post going over my qualms of the 830 but it was getting stupid. What it comes down to for me though I realized is I have to see how it performs vs a 920. My 920 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Too many times do I sit there and see "Resuming..." for ages when I just need something quick. If the 830 can alleviate that with its SOC then maybe its an option. But I doubt it highly. The performance of the Snapdragon 400 has been poor on android devices and I suspect it will be the same on the Windows side.

I feel like Microsoft keeps getting close but they do some really weird choice. I get this is the midrange version of the 930 just like the 1320 is the midrange version of the 1520. But AT&T users who have the 920 have little options in their upgrade path. You have a 1020 which is the 920 with a better camera. And you have the 1520 which the screensize can be a bit....big for some users (I would need to change out my entire wardrobe just to make it pocketable) The 830 is basically like "Well there is no other 5" device for AT&T users so I guess its going to have to work" I mean is they took the features of the 830 added a better SOC and a better front facing camera (I realize this would defeat the whole cost thing) I think 920 users would be a lot less hesitant. But they didn't and so we wait.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a long *** post going over my qualms of the 830 but it was getting stupid. What it comes down to for me though I realized is I have to see how it performs vs a 920. My 920 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Too many times do I sit there and see "Resuming..." for ages when I just need something quick. If the 830 can alleviate that with its SOC then maybe its an option. But I doubt it highly. The performance of the Snapdragon 400 has been poor on android devices and I suspect it will be the same on the Windows side.

I feel like Microsoft keeps getting close but they do some really weird choice. I get this is the midrange version of the 930 just like the 1320 is the midrange version of the 1520. But AT&T users who have the 920 have little options in their upgrade path. You have a 1020 which is the 920 with a better camera. And you have the 1520 which the screensize can be a bit....big for some users (I would need to change out my entire wardrobe just to make it pocketable) The 830 is basically like "Well there is no other 5" device for AT&T users so I guess its going to have to work" I mean is they took the features of the 830 added a better SOC and a better front facing camera (I realize this would defeat the whole cost thing) I think 920 users would be a lot less hesitant. But they didn't and so we wait.

Yeah the other issue with the 930 in the US is carrier exclusivity. Even if I thought it was a true successor to the 920 (it's close, but needs an SD card), I can't get it with the appropriate LTE bands on AT&T. So I'm forced to either switch carriers (no thanks) or hope for something in the future. I wish companies would sell true multi-band phones such as the 1520.3. It would make everything easier.

The Lard

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line (as I see it anyway): If you're going to buy it off contract and can thus sell it once a proper flagship/upgrade is available, go for it. If you're thinking of getting it on a two year contract, you're probably better off waiting for a more worthy successor, likely in the first half of 2015.

As a Windows Phone enthusiast and someone that prefers not to do the carrier/contract thing, I pretty much switch phones every year anyway (and sell my old one), so I plan on getting the 830 and am very much looking forward to it :)

This is my line of thinking exactly. Although I don't generally change my phone each year (and in any case there hasn't really been anything WP to really tempt me away from my 920 since I got it last April) I'd still rather not have the commitment of paying for a phone on credit which is essentially what a contract deal is. So I picked my 920 up off eBay and have a SIM-only month-on-month contract which is dirt cheap but still with unlimited data etc.

So yeah, I figure I'll try and be patient enough to wait for the prices to drop a bit, then I'll pick myself up an 830 and see how it goes. And if something awesome materialises with Threshold in the spring then I'll stick the 830 on eBay and move onwards and upwards!

jetchy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Got my contract upgrade due this month. The price of the handset is around 330 euros which is roughly ?260. This will allow me to get a cheaper contract and pay less for the phone itself (due to being on T-Mobile for so long). Currently have the 920 and no phone out at the moment is good enough to 'upgrade' to (even though its 2 years old). So I don't mind having a similar or slightly lesser phone in terms of technical specifications but it being lighter, having a bigger screen, Lumia Denim and better looking.

janktastic

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still on the fence about the 830, but for the life of me I can't understand how people can possibly complain about SD cards.

You can find a 32 GB Class 10 pretty much every other week for $20-30 on slickdeals. Sometimes a 64 GB for not much more. It's a non-issue.

That being said, being a previous 920 owner I would hold til Threshold in the spring and what I believe to be the 1020 successor (if not that it'll be a pretty damn good flagship). The problem for me is that when my 920 wouldn't power on anymore AT&T decided to send a refurbished POS 925 with terrible battery life and after adding my music doesn't even have enough space to upgrade to 8.1. So for myself, I might not be able to resist the chance to dump this thing ASAP. Hell, I would've jumped shipped to Android if the new Moto X didn't have a such disgustingly bad camera for a flagship.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos