920 to 830?

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The obvious question You knew was gonna be asked.

I'm currently on a Lumia 920 and I'm looking for a good alternative for it, 830 seems to be perfect match so far. Removable battery, qi, 10mp and gorilla glass 3 +micro SD.

So would you upgrade to the 830 as a (cheaper) follow up of your 920?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I'm currently on a Lumia 920 and I'm looking for a good alternative for it, 830 seems to be perfect match so far. Removable battery, qi, 10mp and gorilla glass 3 +micro SD.

yeah i would get the 830 in place of either my 720 or my 820 anyday
830 is the only phone to fully impress me so far in the newer lumias

Warbler

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I have a 920 and can't wait to change my 920 for a 830. Sure it doesn't have a good processor, but it has a great camera, screen and mainly its design, being very slim and light- two things I hate on the 920. If you won't play a lot of games (but of course you'll can since the 830 has 1GB RAM) it's a really good choice.

Tips_y

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the 925 and it's an absolute yes for me to "upgrade" to the 830. It's kind of strange to come from a model that starts with 9xx to call it an "upgrade" to go to a lower no. 8xx model. But 2 or 3 of the specs in the 925 is a side ways move going to the 830, like the 16GB storage and the 720p resolution. But everything else is an upgrade: the quad-core processor with better GPU, the microSD slot, the better camera., the bigger size screen (I also have the 1520 so I love big screens LOL), Gorilla Glass 3, the faster LTE, AND not least of all is the nice price LOL! I have no particular preference between AMOLED vs IPS. OK the FFC in the 830 has a lower MP but hey selfies and video calls are not a priority for me.

Last edited:

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the 925 and it's an absolute yes for me to "upgrade" to the 830. It's kind of strange to come from a model that starts with 9xx to call it an "upgrade" to go to a lower no. 8xx model. But 2 or 3 of the specs in the 925 is a side ways move going to the 830, like the 16GB storage and the 720p resolution. But everything else is an upgrade: the quad-core processor with better GPU, the microSD slot, the better camera., the bigger size screen (I also have the 1520 so I love big screens LOL), Gorilla Glass 3, the faster LTE, AND not least of all is the nice price LOL! I have no particular preference between AMOLED vs IPS. OK the FFC in the 830 has a lower MP but hey selfies and video calls are not a priority for me.

830 has dual core and it is slower/around the mark that the 925 is

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 830 = SD400: Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7
Thats good news then, i just looked it up on their website but there is one thing that confuses me

''Up to 1.7 GHz dual-core Krait 300 CPU or up to 1.4GHz quad-core ARM? Cortex™ A7 CPU''

So all the rants about 830 being dual core are false btw?

Pappa Ed

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded my 920 to 8.1/cyan and am still happy with it. I'll hang on to it until something comes along that really peaks my interest. Not going to change for the sake of change.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Just upgraded my 920 to 8.1/cyan and am still happy with it. I'll hang on to it until something comes along that really peaks my interest. Not going to change for the sake of change.
I wouldn't consider changing if my 920 was still working fine, but its getting pretty old and weary.
So for you i would indeed wait untill something else sparkes your interest.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a 920 and how I wish I could upgrade to the 830 (but I live in the US). First of all, the clock speed is slower but you add two cores compared to the 920, and it's newer architecture. I think the CPU is definitely an upgrade. Is it a proper 2-year upgrade? Maybe not, but that's a subjective decision. The GPU is, apparently, a step down but I don't game on my mobile phone (too much battery consumption). But, otherwise, I think it's a great update and here is my personal scorecard:

1) Screen size-- 830. It's bigger but not monstrously big like the 1520.
2) Resolution-- 920. Actually has a slightly higher resolution and, with the smaller screen, a higher dpi. Definitely an issue but outweighed by other considerations IMO
3) Size-- 830, by a wide margin. It's thinner, lighter, sleeker
4) Aesthetics-- 830. I have my eye on the orange back. Looks great. And if you tire of it you just switch.
5) Storage-- 830. Built-in storage is half of the 920 but the microSD expansion for the 830 sets it apart. Yes, it might be slower than internal storage but who cares? I'll store my maps, music, etc. on it. It doesn't need to be super quick
6) Battery-- 830. I don't care about battery life per se. I'm sure it will suck and I'll be disappointed, as I am with every smartphone. But it has a removable battery!! That means that you don't need to chuck the phone when the battery fails. No planned obsolescence here.
7) SoC-- I still think the 830 is the winner, FOR ME. Newer architecture, 2 extra cores, don't care about the GPU.
8) Software-- 830. This will presumably ship with Denim, which is just a dream of the distant future for me on my 920

Overall I think it would be a nice upgrade. Would a higher screen resolution and better SoC make it better? Of course. But I'm not convinced that those things are enough to torpedo the device, relative to the 920. Of course this is all an academic discussion since the 830 won't come to the US, but it's nice to think about.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the 925 and a side-by-side comparison with the 830 looks very tempting. There are a lot of improvements that are super exciting.

The only thing that would stop me from "upgrading" to the 830 is the processor. Not that I play a lot of games or anything, but the fact that right out of the box this phone is, in a sense, obsolete or at a dead-end. It won't get the 'Hey Cortana' functionality when that rolls out. While that might not seem like a big deal at the moment, this limitation makes me wonder what other upgrades I might not be able to take advantage of in the future.

For me, the processor is a deal breaker and thus not a worthy upgrade.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I was waiting to see what it was like too, but both the camera and processor are a bit of a let down. Seen today the 930 has had a nice drop in price (sim free) at least one retailer so thinking of going with that instead.

Also currently on a 925.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was planning to keep my 920 until about December for a Christmas sale but seeing as how my motherboard is effed and can barely use this phone ill be getting it as soon as it comes out

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920 and how I wish I could upgrade to the 830 (but I live in the US). First of all, the clock speed is slower but you add two cores compared to the 920, and it's newer architecture. I think the CPU is definitely an upgrade. Is it a proper 2-year upgrade? Maybe not, but that's a subjective decision. The GPU is, apparently, a step down but I don't game on my mobile phone (too much battery consumption). But, otherwise, I think it's a great update and here is my personal scorecard:

1) Screen size-- 830. It's bigger but not monstrously big like the 1520.
2) Resolution-- 920. Actually has a slightly higher resolution and, with the smaller screen, a higher dpi. Definitely an issue but outweighed by other considerations IMO
3) Size-- 830, by a wide margin. It's thinner, lighter, sleeker
4) Aesthetics-- 830. I have my eye on the orange back. Looks great. And if you tire of it you just switch.
5) Storage-- 830. Built-in storage is half of the 920 but the microSD expansion for the 830 sets it apart. Yes, it might be slower than internal storage but who cares? I'll store my maps, music, etc. on it. It doesn't need to be super quick
6) Battery-- 830. I don't care about battery life per se. I'm sure it will suck and I'll be disappointed, as I am with every smartphone. But it has a removable battery!! That means that you don't need to chuck the phone when the battery fails. No planned obsolescence here.
7) SoC-- I still think the 830 is the winner, FOR ME. Newer architecture, 2 extra cores, don't care about the GPU.
8) Software-- 830. This will presumably ship with Denim, which is just a dream of the distant future for me on my 920

Overall I think it would be a nice upgrade. Would a higher screen resolution and better SoC make it better? Of course. But I'm not convinced that those things are enough to torpedo the device, relative to the 920. Of course this is all an academic discussion since the 830 won't come to the US, but it's nice to think about.
Good read, I myself would either go for green or orange back. I think ill hold out until Christmas sale, then ill be proudly rocking a 830.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not a chance in hell for me. Someone asked how the 820 is better than the 830. The answer is that the 820 doesn't mean signing a new contract for basically the same phone with a camera and display bump. The performance will be basically the same from a CPU standpoint, while the GPU could be a little worse. The RAM is the same quantity (frequency unknown), meaning not addition there. It's that the 830 isn't a terrible phone, but after having the 820 for 2 years, why would you sign up for almost the same thing for another 2 years?

Now, I have a 920. That's where this all goes south, to me. Reasons I wouldn't take the 830 over the 920:

1. The resolution is a downgrade, as is the overall display quality (920 has a higher refresh rate and IPS is generally better than AMOLED).
2. The internal storage is halved, meaning I HAVE to buy a microSD card. 32 GB is plenty, but 16 GB is way too little (I use 20-25 GB, with 15-17 GB in music alone).
3. The aforementioned lack of a SoC improvement (should be about the same, but could be a bit worse, according to some benchmarks).
4. I personally prefer the 820/920 design to the 830. I don't like the aluminum with the colored backs, and I generally don't like light colors on things like this. I like the shape/design, but I dislike the color scheme.
5. While the 830's camera adds the OIS and general improvements over the 820, the 920 already does a solid job with this, making the camera improvements not as-significant. As someone who isn't a camera lover, it makes it a negligible point of improvement for me.
6. I have no interest in signing up for a 2-year contract (let alone $400 off-contract) for a phone with little to offer, in terms of hardware improvements. I'd rather wait it out for 3-6 months for something rolling with a Snapdragon 800.

I've always thought that if I'm going to shackle myself to a smartphone for 2 years, I'm getting something that is really good for its time, because they'll all be mediocre towards the end. Picking up something with a SoC comparable to a 2-year-old one, then saying I'll keep it for 2 years? That's like torture to me.

Lumiaa620

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 920 will be faster (SOC is better in the L920, if you aren't sure check it on the web and no 4 ain't always better then 2).
The only way the L830 excels the L920 are the future upgrades (and again mainly looking at the camera). So with short words no L830 ain't worth spending more money for something that ain't that great at all (looking from a stand point of a L920 owner).
Now if they had put a newer SOC like S600 or at least the new 64Bit (low end one). That would make the L830 shine.
And please don't tell me WP doesn't need the extra juice. We are talking here about a device several time more expensive then L630 yet having same engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb