830 way too expensive...WHY ?!

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
So we know the 830 will hit the stores for just under 400?, thats way to much.
What do you think, why is it that expensive although the new Moto G with the same specs is 200? (!!) cheaper ?
OIS...Pureview...but thats not 200? !

Whats Nokia/MS strategy with this device, i dont know...at this price it will not sell.

Liopleus Lin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
730 has about the same spec and it's the competitor of Moto G, on 830 you pay the extra bucks for the camera and aluminum body.I do agree that the price premium of 830 is way too big, 50? more than 730 would be better since new 920 can be bought at less than $250.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thats because Microsoft is greedy it wants to extract money from wp fanboys by selling lumia 830 at higher price.then sell the same for lower money.this happened for lumia 820 they first sold it for 28000 then dropped to 22000.but definitely lumia 830 is wayyyy better than lumia 820.

theoilyduke

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
It's a really nice looking phone but I agree too expensive. The HTC Desire 820 was anounced recently and that has a Snapdragon 615 (8 core A53), 5.5" 720p display, and front facing stereo speakers. I'm assuming this Nokia will have a better camera but the HTC will have the marketing bonus of larger numbers in 13mp vs 10mp rear camera and 8mp vs 1mp front camera. Plus the a53 (64bit) vs a7 (32bit) and 8 vs 4 core Snapdragon. I still think the Nokia phones still look the coolest but this thing is not priced like an underdog. The HTC 820 replaces the 816 which is a $300 to $350 off contract phone which I'm guessing the Lumia 830 would be priced around.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who do not think that 830 is over priced, I would say that real comparison should be with Nexus 5. In terms of street price, it is roughly the same as 830. What 830 has better? only rear camera (though the sensor size is smaller than Nexus 5)
What Nexus has better: A much superior Processor, double the RAM, same screen size but with more than 50% higher pixel density. A slightly bigger battery that provides a significantly higher back-up, a better front camera and most importantly a much bigger market share and Android OS. There is hardly any other market which is as price sensitive as the Indian market. It is flooded with Android models with octacore processors, 2GB ram etc. for less the 15,000 INR (~$250). I am not saying Nokia belongs in that category. However, to win market shares the price points should be much lower for these specs.
I absolutely love the windows platform, but why does MS forget that it has to play catch-up? It is not a leader and people are not standing overnight in long queues to lap up new models. In terms of specs it should have been the other way round: much higher specs on a Lumia than Android phones available at that price point.
As for comparison with iPhones, they still demand a lot of snob value. People are crazy and it still is a style and status quotient particularly in India. MS has not and WILL NOT gain market share till the time it gets its pricing right

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Thats because Microsoft is greedy it wants to extract money from wp fanboys by selling lumia 830 at higher price.then sell the same for lower money.this happened for lumia 820 they first sold it for 28000 then dropped to 22000.but definitely lumia 830 is wayyyy better than lumia 820.
I bought the 820 for INR 27,000 and still use it. It is a good phone and at that point, there were no real competitors. However, in the past 18 -20 months the market is flooded with both big and small brand phones coming at much lesser price. For its specifications, 830 should have been priced at sub INR 20,000 (>$330)

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
If you are referring to the subsequent price drops then it will hold true for all phones. Comparable Galaxy models of then are mostly discontinued and ones launched soon after for similar price points are now selling for less then INR 15,000. So, I don't consider that I paid more than I should have paid back then. However as of today, I do agree that there are much better options at lower price points and 830 may not succeed. More than anything else 730 will eat its share as it will come at almost 10K lower price.
The only phone I would consider buying now is the 1520 which is available at around 35Ks.
P.S. I have used android and little bit of iOS and there is no way I moving out of windows platform, or nokia/MS for that matter

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
In germany, the big IT news portals dont even reported about the 730 and 830.
They will hit the stores for a huge pricetag, people will think they are just "some WP"...and remember nobody buys a WP.

Now with a 390? price tag the 830 will be a really epic fail.

anguslhs

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I will not be that dissatisfied if MS gave us the 1.6Ghz version of the Snapdragon 400 processor. But no, it's the same processor found on the 630 and 730. Also, they should either price this cheaper than the competition or give better specs than the competition at the same price to attract people to Windows Phone. There's still no reason why people should buy a Windows Phone over an Android at this price range.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the 720 was a device with premium build quality, good camera but otherwise low-end specs that hit the stores with a WAY TO HIGH price tag.
The price never really went down and the 720 is just a obscure device inside the already obscure WP universum.
The 830 will have the same problem.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the 830 is the right phone for me. I have a 920 and a 720 and I think its the perfect upgrade. Given the price and the specs I'm sure a lot of people will complain, but when the 820 and the 720 were unveiled, they too didn't have top of the line specs and yet they perform remarkably on newer OS updates and its over a year and a half ago for the more younger 720 in question here. In that stand point I think the 830 is priced quite decently at 26k or so(~$400 that is). But before we go anywhere with that lets also see how Microsoft is marketing the device. They call it the "Affordable Flagship Device". So don't just get stuck with the work "affordable". People didn't get this mad when Apple said we'll make a cheaper version of the iPhone 5 and call it iPhone 5c and price it 42k+(that was the starting price in the Indian market). So please use your brains and then crib about a phone which is targeted at a population who want flagship quality device and can't really go all out with that. There will be ups and downs and I can happily live with that fact. The 830 is the perfect WP for me at the moment.

Last edited:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the 830 is the right phone for me. I have a 920 and a 720 and I think its the perfect upgrade. Given the price and the specs I'm sure a lot of people will complain, but when the 820 and the 720 were unveiled, they too didn't have top of the line specs and yet they perform remarkably on newer OS updates and its over a year and a half ago for the more younger 720 in question here. In that stand point I think the 830 is priced quite decently at 26k or so(~$400 that is). But before we go anywhere with that lets also see how Microsoft is marketing the device. They call it the "Affordable Flagship Device". So don't just get stuck with the work "affordable". People didn't get this mad when Apple said we'll make a cheaper version of the iPhone 5 and call it iPhone 5c and price it 42k+(that was the starting price in the Indian market). So please use your brains and then crib about a phone which is targeted at a population who want flagship quality device and can't really go all out with that. There will be ups and downs and I can happily live with fact. The 830 is the perfect WP for me at the moment.

Ya agree only one thing lumia 830 is better than iphone 5c in terms of price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon