Lumia 830 on T-Mobile

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia 830 can't come soon enough. It is so disappointing to hear the Att is the only carrier that has announced this great device in the US. What I don't get, is that ATT said they would sell it in time for the holidays. At the official announcement for the Lumia 830, they said the phone would start shipping or become available by the end of this month (September). Am I wrong for thinking that the phone then is still going to be announced by other US carriers? I really wasn't this phone on T-Mobile. Is anyone else thinking that it is odd that ATT announced they would carry it 2 months from now, and that neither T-Mobile nor Verizon is silent? And Sprint....well, there really isn't any Windows Phone support over there.

Last edited:

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
They have stated that seven devices will be available by the end of 2014 that support their newly acquired spectrum (700 mHz), and the names of four of those devices are known. That means that there are at least three new devices coming to T-Mobile this year that aren't announced, and it is likely one of them could be a windows phone (either a 735 or 830 or both).

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The announcement was for the global audiences that was made in the IFA in Germany. In the U.S.; it is still unknown when it will be released. It will come to India in October 7th however. U.S. on the new Lumia is still a mystery! Color choices and if any of the features will be modified to fit the needs of the U.S. carriers that will be stocking it. I hate that the U.S. carriers want to keep the storage at the minimum and take some of the other features out of the global versions. I just hope they do not change the physical size of the unit so that accessories will not be available from the standard global version.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
There's still time for an announcement but I'd temper expectations. It's been a disappointing season overall for Windows Phone thus far but as long as we at least end up with an AWS-compatible version of the 830 in whatever color we choose (silver metal band or black like what AT&T is carrying), I'll be content.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It would be ever so annoying if they got rid of the wireless charging, or some other feature, as they have done in the past. I signed up on the Nokia website to be notified for when the 830 is to be available, and still haven't been notified about it, even though ATT has already made a press release stating that they will carry the phone. This gives me a shade of hope for T-Mobile, as well as the information above that T-Mobile has yet to release 3 more devices on the acquired spectrum by the end of the year. I want this phone so bad. I could care less about the Selfie phone. I got rid of my 920 for an iPhone, but after Apple's last keynote, I was just so disappointed. I started with the first iPhone and had one till the iPhone 4. Then I switched to Windows Phone HTC Radar, and fell in love. Then jumped around carriers chasing phones, like the Lumia 710, then the 920 on ATT. (Which was my favorite), then the 925 on T-Mobile, and now I want that slick and beautiful design of the 830.

News this morning that Vietnam is getting the 830! Too far for me. I'm still holding out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sharkbait_23

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am on the same boat here with you. I really want it to be available for T-mobile because I have Metro PCS and I could use it unlocked. I think Southern California is already part of the reframed area that doesn't need the 1700 aws band right? because on the L830 page it does not list that band. Anyways I have fallen in love with it and would honestly buy it for whatever price it does come out with. Still have my fingers crossed. Coming from the NL521 and a Moto G.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I hope they announce something today, like they did this morning with pre orders for the UK. I literally search all over the net for more information and hands on videos and images of this device almost daily. I just can't wait to get my hands on it! I've been promoting this phone over the new iPhone to everyone, yet I can't even say when it is going to be available, other than next month.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
There are two different colors of the metal chassis anyway, it's not exclusive to AT&T and there's been no official word on this yet. However, AT&T's press shot shows the phone only in the darker metal chassis. It's worth noting that they only carried the darker metal variant with the Lumia 925 as well, so there's also a precedent for it.

AT&T to Carry the Nokia Lumia 830 | AT&T

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I hope they announce something soon. I had to replace my phone awhile back so I'm stuck with a 635. It's ok but I'd like something better, especially when it comes to the camera.

I may have to take a break from the platform and come back once new devices hit next year. I hate that thought.

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
There are two different colors of the metal chassis anyway, it's not exclusive to AT&T and there's been no official word on this yet. However, AT&T's press shot shows the phone only in the darker metal chassis. It's worth noting that they only carried the darker metal variant with the Lumia 925 as well, so there's also a precedent for it.

AT&T to Carry the Nokia Lumia 830 | AT&T

I just saw it in a video in another thread as well and came back to edit my post. Not sure how I feel about it yet...it does look good with the standard black...

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Black bands? Man. I wanted an Orange back, but don't want a Halloween phone. Whatever, I'll buy different backs, as long as it comes to tmobile.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I've tweeted T-Mobile, posted on their Facebook, called them, talked to them in their store. Either no one knows anything about anything coming down the pipes or they have a policy of not releasing information. It's really tiresome.

I even spoke to four different locations today about when they had shipments of new iPhones coming in (in case I go that route) and it was a big shrug from everyone I talked to.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I've tweeted T-Mobile, posted on their Facebook, called them, talked to them in their store. Either no one knows anything about anything coming down the pipes or they have a policy of not releasing information. It's really tiresome.

I even spoke to four different locations today about when they had shipments of new iPhones coming in (in case I go that route) and it was a big shrug from everyone I talked to.

I've learned that the tmobile staff is completely oblivious to everything, in my experience. I went into a shop on Thursday and was asking about wifi calling and they thought that the only way for an iPhone owner to get wifi calling was to purchase an iPhone 6, not just upgrade to iOS 8. I didn't even dare mention anything about the Lumia 830. They probably would have told me that the EOL 925 was better anyways.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
There has to be some way to squeeze information out of the company. Maybe I'm better off going to another carrier at this point. This is starting to feel silly.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just saw it in a video in another thread as well and came back to edit my post. Not sure how I feel about it yet...it does look good with the standard black...

I wasn't sure how I felt about it either, then the more photos I saw, videos I watched, and the more I just generally thought about it, I realized my initial instinct was how I still felt... I'll like it much more with the regular metal band. For that reason, I'd rather import an international variant sans LTE than go with AT&T's version since a big reason I'm getting the phone anyway is aesthetics.

If it's any consolation, I don't think the metal frame will be black persay (a la the black 930, on which scratches tend to show). It's more of a dark grey, which looks better than the black IMO.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Black bands? Man. I wanted an Orange back, but don't want a Halloween phone. Whatever, I'll buy different backs, as long as it comes to tmobile.

Tell me about it. Some people switched back covers on their black Lumia Icon and my first thought was "is this for Halloween?" Definitely nicer with the regular silver chassis.

Hopefully T-Mobile gets the lighter color like they did with the 925.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've learned that the tmobile staff is completely oblivious to everything, in my experience. I went into a shop on Thursday and was asking about wifi calling and they thought that the only way for an iPhone owner to get wifi calling was to purchase an iPhone 6, not just upgrade to iOS 8. I didn't even dare mention anything about the Lumia 830. They probably would have told me that the EOL 925 was better anyways.
I hope your right, I asked a T-mobile staff about the lumia 830 and he told me they wouldn't be getting it, hopefully your right and they know nothing, but I suppose its possible they wont be getting it..

Michael Tillman

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm sick of waiting. Not thrilled with my 635. I miss my old 925 but when it broke I had no choice but to get this low end phone. I know TMOBILE is getting the HTC M8 soon and I might have to pull the trigger on it if there is no word from Microsoft about the 830 by then. I'm not really interested in the 735.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte