My Lumia 830 Arrived in the Mail!

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm hopeful, optimistic... and also a bit scared.

Thought October 2nd was the earliest anyone would see it, but the tracking info has showed me at least two facilities it's departed. Either way this looks to be everything I've wanted out of a Windows Phone.

While I try to keep my composure over the excitement, I'll give you guys the story of me and WP.

Samsung Focus Flash: While I technically started with WM5.0 and had many different WM6 phones too, the Focus Flash was my first break into the semi-current gen of Windows Phones. I actually got that phone to have some education and firsthand experience behind it when I went on my royal WP-bashing spree. What happened was completely and absolutely the opposite.

Lumia 520: This is the cheapest, weakest most feature-lacking phone I ever loved. It had no front-facing camera, a crappy screen that would get scratched by thin air if not protected... but it was very smooth, very reliable... and while the 512MB held it back from running many apps, it handled the apps it could run like a damn champion... and the external storage paired with 8.1 put it above many phones that beat it in the game of raw power. The 512MB of ram ultimately pushed me to seek better options.

Lumia 1020: This phone broke me forever... to a point in which I wish I'd never sold it (at times). I'm no photographer, and seeing how many "photographers" can't pay their bills off that profession has driven me away from any aspiration I may have to learn the trade... but GOD DAMN that camera was wonderful. Performance wasn't bad either. What got me away from this was the branded decision to make a camera that had no SD card expansion. If the 1020 had an SD card slot... I'd probably still have that beast today.

Lumia Icon: I'd always wanted a phone that would match the design of my Surface Pro. Knowing damn well that the lack of SD card would turn me off, I bought it anyway thinking I'd simply invest more into cloud computing. Took nearly a week to get everything I had on SkyDrive then I was off... thing is, the Icon came with a ton of problems I never anticipated. It did this weird thing where it'd just start overheating in my pocket. Nothing was open, it was totally idle... but scorching hot! Of course this also came with monstrous battery drain and it would also have me waiting through loads of "loading" and "resuming" screens that delayed my usage a couple seconds (and often a couple minutes). The WiFi was unreliable as well, meaning I'd go to install a massive game, take a jog, and come back to see that my app wasn't installed because of some retarded issue. There was also the issue that this didn't play nicely with AT&T. I could deal with the lack of LTE, and thought I could lose out on MMS too (I was wrong, btw). When the phone worked, I loved it... but that wasn't very often. The 1080p panel even caused me problems as it broke two of my favorite games (Order & Chaos, Chaos Rings) I had myself an absolutely beautiful overheating brick that was only somewhat functional on my network. I had to bid this phone farewell.

Lumia 1520: Spent large amounts of time convincing myself this phone was just too damn big, then that I wanted the size. I was all too happy to get my LTE back, have my MMS, play with glance again... AND have something that accepts an SD card. Being able to say I had the highest benchmarking phone in the world was kinda nice too... but my original thought turned out to be correct. Just taking this phone with me turned out to be annoying. It did fit in the pockets, but it was huge. No one-handed operation, and putting a case on it made it real unreasonable... real fast. This just wasn't a balanced experience... I needed to get a smaller phone in my life, pronto.

Lumia 820: I didn't even know this thing existed until getting a recommendation to try it out... and everything honestly seemed stacked against it. I'd come from the respective #2 and #1 highest benchmarking phones ON EARTH to something with a little S4 processor and 480p screen? Sounded ridiculous... but I was unsatisfied with the Icon/1520... and this phone was so stupidly cheap that I decided "Why not?"

BEST. DECISION. EVER.

The Lumia 820 had the size of the L520 that I loved... but with the front-facing camera and 1GB RAM the L520 lacked. The SD card slot that the L1020/Icon lacked... and a practical size that the L1520 sadly did not have... and that low-res screen actually worked in my favor. The games that 1080p panels broke worked again, my Final Fantasy III was no longer upscaled... and I was a happy camper. Still am actually. Purchased a Nexus 5 recently... went right back to the L820. This phone isn't particularly powerful... but it's got balance. Quite possibly the best sense of balance I've seen in my entire time with WP.

Needless to say, I'm totally sold on the 8XX series. 830 looks to simply expand on everything that makes the L820 so balanced, and I can't wait to have my hands on it.

Last edited:

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apparently my Lumia 830 already shipped?! And will be here on the 29th?!?!

Well, the size of the Lumia 1520 would make it quite difficult to fit inside a compiler !

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Great write up.. I'm thinking of getting the Lumia. 830 myself. I currently using a Samsung ATIV S. Great device. Only reason I'm getting rid of it is because I want a Lumia device.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Nice writeup. I do agree that the 830 may turn out to be more popular than the spec whores think. Balance is a great way to describe it, I think. I'm excited.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I also ordered the 830 and will get to my place by Monday :) can't wait to play around with it

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I hope you didn't order one of those sub-$400 ones from Ebay without the retail packaging... apparently they're prototypes with broken Glance.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I hope you didn't order one of those sub-$400 ones from Ebay without the retail packaging... apparently they're prototypes with broken Glance.

If so I can still return it but I doubt they are prototype

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Apparently my Lumia 830 already shipped?! And will be here on the 29th?!?!

It also says in big bold red letters that if its not working or defective they will replace it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411866170.917570.jpgso I doubt it's a prototype

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I got that info from the "Who's buying a Lumia 830" topic pinned to the top of this forum.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Oh I see ._. Well I'll just wait for mine to see if that's the case

Broad and Market

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Honestly I'm a little bit sad I got the Icon a few weeks ago. Now don't get me wrong the Icon is the best phone I have ever owned and one of the best I have ever used. The problem is I don't really need all the specs. The only thing I really use is the camera and for all that I have to put up with Verizon. My plan isn't much more expensive than it would have been else where but the lack of support and communication over the Cyan update may force me away less than two months into my contract.

If I had to do it all over again I probably would have ordered an unlocked 830, they are currently $380 on e-bay and put it on Cricket or T-mobile and saved some money.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
She's arrived! First impression is that it's beautiful... and it's the first Windows Phone since the 520 that didn't bug me about battery drain when I selected the white background theme. Very surprised to find that - even though I was impatient - the version of the 830 I have supports LTE on AT&T!!!

Unfortunately, I went straight from a 9.5hr shift to class - where I'll be for the next four hours... so I haven't been able to do jack with it yet.

Either way, I don't have to focus on this class much - so ask me anything! Once I'm back home, I'll be doing a comparison between the 830 and 820 to see just how accurate speculation is regarding the SD400/A305's supposed inferiority to the S4/A225.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Where did you order it from ? What model number, exactly, is it ?

Thanks,
Fred

She's arrived! First impression is that it's beautiful... and it's the first Windows Phone since the 520 that didn't bug me about battery drain when I selected the white background theme. Very surprised to find that - even though I was impatient - the version of the 830 I have supports LTE on AT&T!!!

Unfortunately, I went straight from a 9.5hr shift to class - where I'll be for the next four hours... so I haven't been able to do jack with it yet.

Either way, I don't have to focus on this class much - so ask me anything! Once I'm back home, I'll be doing a comparison between the 830 and 820 to see just how accurate speculation is regarding the SD400/A305's supposed inferiority to the S4/A225.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I guess I'm going to go with the regular international variant, which means no LTE. I've gotten so used to using Glance and I want to guarantee full updates to the phone (I noticed it runs Debian Red instead of Denim. Hopefully for your sake the device will be updated regularly with everyone else's).

It sucks that we have to choose between LTE and Glance right now in the U.S.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I guess I'm going to go with the regular international variant, which means no LTE. I've gotten so used to using Glance and I want to guarantee full updates to the phone (I noticed it runs Debian Red instead of Denim. Hopefully for your sake the device will be updated regularly with everyone else's).

It sucks that we have to choose between LTE and Glance right now in the U.S.

Well, technically, you can wait for the AT&T version and get LTE and Glance. But then you lose Qi. It's always something...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers