My comprehensive review - Nokia Lumia 830

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
On the nokia camera on the 830 does it have the new UI that has the switch to front camera button on screen now instead of digging into the settings?

That will be in the new Lumia Camera update, which hasn't been released yet. It will come along with the speed improvements, Rich Capture, and HD movie moments.

Emix1988

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on your amazing orange 830.
I have one question if you don't mind. That circle around the camera sensor and flashlight is it glass or glossy plastic?

Thanks.

Iina the Magnet

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I don't know if this has been answered or not, but I'll ask anyways: Is there going to be just regular back covers for sale? Not the flip covers, I haven't seen the regular plates on sale anywhere and there is zero mention of them on Nokia's or Microsofts website.

Does anybody know about this? Cause I would really like to know how it is before I buy myself one. I'd want the orange tiles, but I think I need the white cover as well.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I don't know if this has been answered or not, but I'll ask anyways: Is there going to be just regular back covers for sale? Not the flip covers, I haven't seen the regular plates on sale anywhere and there is zero mention of them on Nokia's or Microsofts website.

Does anybody know about this? Cause I would really like to know how it is before I buy myself one. I'd want the orange tiles, but I think I need the white cover as well.

I'm waiting for that as well. It's a bit baffling to me that those haven't been released yet, as it's one of the selling points of the phone. I had planned on getting every color.

Iina the Magnet

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank's for the response, I'll wait and see if they announce them, but it IS weird they aren't available yet.

Other question I had was about the camera, it seems and you confirmed that it's glass on top? I was wondering, do you think it's easily scratched, or prone to get some? I feel like it's a bit weird solution but then again, I have yet to see the phone irl.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank's for the response, I'll wait and see if they announce them, but it IS weird they aren't available yet.

Other question I had was about the camera, it seems and you confirmed that it's glass on top? I was wondering, do you think it's easily scratched, or prone to get some? I feel like it's a bit weird solution but then again, I have yet to see the phone irl.

The plastic rim on the back plate protects the glass from touching whatever surface you put the phone down on, so unless you're poking it with keys in your pocket or something, it should be fine.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure they'll definitely be available at some point, considering even unibody shells end up on Ebay and/or Amazon as spare parts for Lumias.

I'm not even entirely sure it's glass. I know it sounds strange not being sure but as far as I can tell from tapping on it, it is glass. Can it be prone to scratches? Yes, it's possible. None so far, but I somehow got a minor scratch or two on the glass enclosure of my Lumia 1520 camera (though it's barely noticeable), and that too has a rim around it to protect it. I have no idea how it happened, I take great care of it and never put anything in the same pocket. It's in perfect condition aside from the slight scratch, but it goes to show you that yes, scratches are possible no matter how much you take care of it. But I wouldn't say it's prone to them exactly.

aehhaeh

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
After reading this review, I'm definitely in the same boat. I was worried about the RM-985's T-Mobile compatibility, but after doing some deeper research it looks like T-Mobile has pretty much completed refarming its 1900mhz PCS to UMTS/HSPA+ and it's AWS (1700/2100) has been refarmed for LTE. The chipset supports all of the above. I was worried since it didn't have UMTS AWS, but that seems like a moot point. Additionally, T-Mobile recently announced that its GSM/EDGE spectrum would be refarmed to LTE AND they also announced that there 700mhz spectrum would also roll out with LTE. All of these bands are supported within the chipset as well (under the listed LTE bands)

In other words, we're good to go!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
After reading this review, I'm definitely in the same boat. I was worried about the RM-985's T-Mobile compatibility, but after doing some deeper research it looks like T-Mobile has pretty much completed refarming its 1900mhz PCS to UMTS/HSPA+ and it's AWS (1700/2100) has been refarmed for LTE. The chipset supports all of the above. I was worried since it didn't have UMTS AWS, but that seems like a moot point. Additionally, T-Mobile recently announced that its GSM/EDGE spectrum would be refarmed to LTE AND they also announced that there 700mhz spectrum would also roll out with LTE. All of these bands are supported within the chipset as well (under the listed LTE bands)

In other words, we're good to go!
i get LTE on T-Mobile on my 830 :) its pretty good if you ask me :)

kk1100101

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I wanted a Lumia 830 from the moment I played with it at IFA in Berlin about a month ago, and on Saturday it finally got delivered (I ordered a black version).

I currently own a Lumia 920 and wanted something lighter (also, the battery on the L920 appears to be dying).
Having set up the L830 (which was a breeze, as the OP already described), I must say I cannot share his opinions about the display.
Viewing angles on my 830 are awful compared to the L920. I can live with the display not being able to show "super-black", but the discoloring when holding the phone with just a slight angle is worrisome.

I actually considered ordering a Lumia 930 as well, and then choose, but am turned off by its size, weight, and the many reports about problems with the 930 (heating up, false coloring etc.).

I haven't mustered up the courage yet to cut my Micro-SIM to nano-SIM size for the L830, so the phone still sits on the drawer currently, while I decide what to do :/
As a WP user, we don't have much devices to chose from, and I _really_ want to replace the 920.

Decisions, decisions.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I wanted a Lumia 830 from the moment I played with it at IFA in Berlin about a month ago, and on Saturday it finally got delivered (I ordered a black version).

I currently own a Lumia 920 and wanted something lighter (also, the battery on the L920 appears to be dying).
Having set up the L830 (which was a breeze, as the OP already described), I must say I cannot share his opinions about the display.
Viewing angles on my 830 are awful compared to the L920. I can live with the display not being able to show "super-black", but the discoloring when holding the phone with just a slight angle is worrisome.

I actually considered ordering a Lumia 930 as well, and then choose, but am turned off by its size, weight, and the many reports about problems with the 930 (heating up, false coloring etc.).

I haven't mustered up the courage yet to cut my Micro-SIM to nano-SIM size for the L830, so the phone still sits on the drawer currently, while I decide what to do :/
As a WP user, we don't have much devices to chose from, and I _really_ want to replace the 920.

Decisions, decisions.

Get another 830?!
I saw many videos, all say great angles. So....

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

Decisions, decisions.

While I wouldn't call the display on the 830 "great" (it's not as good as the one on my 1520 as mentioned in the review), the viewing angles are certainly an improvement on the 920's (which, as mentioned in the review, I also owned). As another user pointed out, the display seemed to be set too deeply in the 920, making the display nearly invisible at angles. While the display isn't as good at angles as it is face-on on the 830, it's certainly a lot more legible than the 920's IMO.

Something interesting I noticed that you might want to try on your 830... try viewing the device at an angle directly from the bottom or directly from the top of the device. The angles are superb. Where it gets iffy is when you view the phone at diagonal angles, which unfortunately is the more natural and common angle (when viewing at an angle).

​All in all though, I don't think any of us will be trying to read our phones from such acute angles.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
While I wouldn't call the display on the 830 "great" (it's not as good as the one on my 1520 as mentioned in the review), the viewing angles are certainly an improvement on the 920's (which, as mentioned in the review, I also owned). As another user pointed out, the display seemed to be set too deeply in the 920, making the display nearly invisible at angles. While the display isn't as good at angles as it is face-on on the 830, it's certainly a lot more legible than the 920's IMO.

Something interesting I noticed that you might want to try on your 830... try viewing the device at an angle directly from the bottom or directly from the top of the device. The angles are superb. Where it gets iffy is when you view the phone at diagonal angles, which unfortunately is the more natural and common angle (when viewing at an angle).

​All in all though, I don't think any of us will be trying to read our phones from such acute angles.

that angles look good to me on my 830 :p then again i come from the 810

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett