Lumia 830 Bugs + Defects

Alexandre Mass

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
someone noticed a poor quality photos taken with the lumia camera 5 in the frontal camera? It looks like the pictures in environments without much light tend to leave very pale faces in comparison with the old lumia camera and the microsoft camera.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I've only had my new AT&T Lumia 830 for a week now but I just started to notice a weird issue that I never had on my old L920.

Sometimes when I get a notification from apps like Facebook Beta or windowscentral, the display does not turn on or wake up. I hear the notification sound but the display is still off. But it does not happen every time.

I've been using an Incipio Octane case the past few days and the issue seems to have started around then but I can't be sure if it existed before I put the case on. Not using a screen protector and I did a hard reset + fresh install to set the phone up.

Anyone have this issue?

allingo

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Got my lumia 830 few week ago and i've accidently broke the screen. After repairing, everything worked fine excepted the glance screen and the double-tap wake up. According to my google search, it seem that i'm the only one having this issue... the guy who repaired it said it was a genuine nokia screen bought by him from the factory. But i tried every possible solution but nothing worked. Everything is up-to-date, (phone itself and the app) tried soft reset, hard reset... nothing worked.

Any help please?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Got my lumia 830 few week ago and i've accidently broke the screen. After repairing, everything worked fine excepted the glance screen and the double-tap wake up. According to my google search, it seem that i'm the only one having this issue... the guy who repaired it said it was a genuine nokia screen bought by him from the factory. But i tried every possible solution but nothing worked. Everything is up-to-date, (phone itself and the app) tried soft reset, hard reset... nothing worked.

Any help please?

If it were me I'd take it back to the guy who repaired it and explain the situation. Maybe needs a re-do. If another 'genuine' nokia screen doesn't work .... well, if it were me I'd certainly be upset. Maybe something else happened during the breaking of the screen? I don't know ... :-/

allingo

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
If it were me I'd take it back to the guy who repaired it and explain the situation. Maybe needs a re-do. If another 'genuine' nokia screen doesn't work .... well, if it were me I'd certainly be upset. Maybe something else happened during the breaking of the screen? I don't know ... :-/

Maybe... i'll go see the guy and check for a re-do... or at least a refund. But i've even found other anomaly. When there are no password on the phone, i tap on a text message notification on the top screen while i'm on the lock screen but nothing... usually it take you to the message but now i have to unlock the AND go see the message. Fourth thing; screen lock by himself during a call.... i press once, then twice, then three times, four times, five times but nothing. i have to wait until the hang up to get the screen back. I can't even call a taxi because of this xD so yeah i'll definitly go see him. Thank for the answer though :)

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I just wanted to state this here. Rear camera from my 830 suddenly broke last Sunday without any explanation. I was using WP8.1 GDR2 and all camera apps stopped working. Lumia Camera says "There was an error" and MS Camera + any app that used Camera just crashed on start. I could use front facing camera normally but even flash on main camera didn't worked (tried flashlight apps). I tried soft resets, hard reset, Lumia recovery tool, Nokia Care Suite and nothing worked. I sent it to Nokia Care :\

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I ditched my 830 after three replacements all went wrong. First the screen got a bunch of dead pixels in the left side. After ~3months. Second, weak vibrate out the box. Third, dead pixels again, but on the right hand side. These issues, combined with the speaker which went wierd on occasion was enough for me...

Ostbiten

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I ditched my 830 after three replacements all went wrong. First the screen got a bunch of dead pixels in the left side. After ~3months. Second, weak vibrate out the box. Third, dead pixels again, but on the right hand side. These issues, combined with the speaker which went wierd on occasion was enough for me...

Lol, that's exactly what's happening to me right now. On my third phone right now, two before this had a lot of dead pixels after 3 months....

I hope I can get back my money this time, this is getting frustrating...

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Lol, that's exactly what's happening to me right now. On my third phone right now, two before this had a lot of dead pixels after 3 months....

I hope I can get back my money this time, this is getting frustrating...

Its a shame, if it wasn't for those issues it would be a cracking phone.as it is, I'm enjoying the 930 a lot more (tho miss the battery life!)

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 830 for two weeks, and the back cover spontaneously pops off. I snap it back on, thoroughly, every snap point is secure, and later it'll just...pop off. The phone hits the floor, the battery flies out, and there I am, putting it all back together again. So many times I've lost count. Does anyone else have this problem? It's very flimsy and not secure. Former phones were HTC 8x (fabulous, tough little thing.) and too many iPhones to count.

Narciso Neto

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 830 for two weeks, and the back cover spontaneously pops off. I snap it back on, thoroughly, every snap point is secure, and later it'll just...pop off. The phone hits the floor, the battery flies out, and there I am, putting it all back together again. So many times I've lost count. Does anyone else have this problem? It's very flimsy and not secure. Former phones were HTC 8x (fabulous, tough little thing.) and too many iPhones to count.

The back cover isn't well done.. It has some flaws, but make sure you are putting it top first then all the way down. ;)

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
If I drop my phone, the cover pops off and the battery falls out. But not the other way round! As long as I hold onto the phone, the back stays securely on. Maybe you need to return the phone? Like the other poster, the Nokia logo has half worn off my black back though.

grininja

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
On an unrelated note, I have noticed that very rarely when I get a facebook sound notification, this sound is very distorted, almost as if the speaker was broken or the sound was slowed down or something. So far this happened 3 times but it doesn't do it again when the next notification comes in... Just weird, anybody else experiencing this?

I am having the same issue... It seems that it's been a while since this happened to you, are you still facing the same issue? I am thinking of replacing the model? It would be a bummer, if this is a software bug...

This is happening to me too from time to time on some notifications, no matter of app...

I found on my screen these two bright spots (left and right below) that are only visible with the white background. I had the same issue with my Lumia 720. Does anybody have the same problem?

I have a similar problem. I noticed a yellow spot on the middle-right part of the screen. It is more visible on white background and has faded away in the last two days.
I am thinking at two reasons:
1. Afternoon sun was pointing directly on the screen at the day I observed it. Maybe it has something to do with UV light.
2. It was on a wireless charging plate. Maybe the heat from the charging combined with the sun...

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Phone vibration stopped working a week ago, sent it to MS repair and waiting for a response. Phone variant was RM-985 000-US running the 000-CA Rogers Denim firmware + 8.1 Update 2

BlackLionPT

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I had this phone for around 3 weeks, but ended up giving it back and exchanging it for a 930 (which i luckily got an epic discount and could buy it for the same price as the 830).

The phone was great, great colours, amazing battery life, very snappy, pretty much no issues at all, but I just want to check with you guys the reason I just had to return it.

First day I had the phone, while using it, I noticed that the phone would do this ripple effect, as if you put your finger on your PC LCD. It had this all over the sides, even when just passing gently I could notice it. It annoyed me to the death, so ended up taking it to the store the next day and they exchanged it.

To my surprise, the other unit had this same issue, but WORSE. So they asked me to keep my current one while they would ask for another one as they did not have any more units at the store.

Took more or less 1 week for it to get there, and when I went to the store they pretty much said:

"This isn't an issue, according to our supplier. We have this third one, but if it does the same thing, you can either exchange phones or keep it as is. We tested on several phones here in the store and lots of them do this ripple effect".

Well, turns out the third one had also the same issue.

I... Didn't bought what they where telling me. I never had seen any phone do this, unless you where pressing the screen so much it would be almost breaking it. I pretty much just ended up saying "no, then I don't want this phone, i find this unacceptable for a 300€ phone to have this issue, I'd like a store credit note (I don't like asking for the money back, I find it rude), I'll pick another phone later on".

So, as insane as I am, I decided to ask a lot of my colleagues if I could do a "small test" on their phones: basically, pressing a bit harder on the screen a darker image to see what would happen. iPhones, Samsungs, even 90€ cheap unbranded android phones, other Lumias (735 and 630), nothing, they did not display any kind of ripple distortion.

When I went to check if the 930 had already arrived, the lady also kept insisting the other one didn't had any issues, that it was normal. I told her I tested it on other phones and could not reproduce the issue, I even grabbed my 6 years old Nokia 5800 and showed it up to her (yep, i passed from a 5800 to a Lumia 930, big jump :) ) and she kept insisting on it. Just ended up nodding and let it go.

Anyone with the Lumia 830 noticed that issue? I really loved the phone, but that issue bugged the hell out of me, and it seemed to affect a lot of units (the 3 I tried for example).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos