"HAY Cortana" is not coming to 830 :(

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Just quoting a review from Gizmodo.

An important bit is that the 'Hey Cortana' voice activation, the passive listening by Windows Phone in an idle state, will not come to the Lumia 830. It works with Snapdragon 80x processor, and the 830 misses that bus.

aint that a btch.:angry:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It does strike me as odd that they release a device with a flagship moniker, but the flagship feature they're trying to create a buzz about - hey Cortana - isn't even compatible! They should do the now recognised and understood flip flop and just admit the 830 is a mid upper tier device with a ridiculous price tag, and of you want a flagship buy year old tech or something without the Nokia ladle - our wait till the msft branded phones come out next year. I wonder how sales are going to be? People must be catching on. The 730 will do far better, and again no hey Cortana. Considering only lower end lumia devices really sell who is hey Cortana for? The majority of WP users will never experience it. MSFT need a reality check.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of Hey Cortana, and would probably try it a few times. But I think I would turn it off. Like double tap to wake (which the 830 does support, along with glance). But that's just me.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
For a lot of people, it won't be a huge feature that they'll miss.

I mean Microsoft did copy this from Google, and everyone was doing fine before it arrived.

Anyways it requires a Snapdragon 800 processor(Lumia 1520/930) or custom low power voice chips(like the Moto X 2013).

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
blaablaaaaaaaaablaaaaaaaaaaaaa

some MS guy posted on twitter, NOW its just for 800, but they realise we all want it and they try to bring it to lower spec devices.
its just ONE feature out of 100, so please shut up....really....

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little disappointed. I don't really care about the specs of the phone but I do care about how it works for me and integrates into my life. So, in one example, I want a fast and smooth OS & app experience, but I don't care if it's running on the 16mhz CPU in my calculator or the 2.8Ghz i7 in my desktop.

What I do care about are features like these that offer some value in the way the phone fits into my life and my productivity with it. I use double tap to wake, I use glance, I use Cortana, I use flip to silence, I use things like Data Sense & Battery Saver. Those things feel like they provide value to me and allow me to interact with my phone in a different way that often feels more efficient. 'Hey Cortana' is another one of those features.

The 830 seems like it's almost my ideal phone but the lack of Hey Cortana is a little bit of a let down. I'd also prefer an AMOLED screen (even if that meant reducing the size by a 1/2" or so to keep the cost down). Neither of these things have turned me off the phone but they have moved it down from 'certain purchase' to 'I'll see how I feel in a couple of months'.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little disappointed. I don't really care about the specs of the phone but I do care about how it works for me and integrates into my life. So, in one example, I want a fast and smooth OS & app experience, but I don't care if it's running on the 16mhz CPU in my calculator or the 2.8Ghz i7 in my desktop.

What I do care about are features like these that offer some value in the way the phone fits into my life and my productivity with it. I use double tap to wake, I use glance, I use Cortana, I use flip to silence, I use things like Data Sense & Battery Saver. Those things feel like they provide value to me and allow me to interact with my phone in a different way that often feels more efficient. 'Hey Cortana' is another one of those features.

The 830 seems like it's almost my ideal phone but the lack of Hey Cortana is a little bit of a let down. I'd also prefer an AMOLED screen (even if that meant reducing the size by a 1/2" or so to keep the cost down). Neither of these things have turned me off the phone but they have moved it down from 'certain purchase' to 'I'll see how I feel in a couple of months'.

Exactly how I feel. Also I would've traded purview for passive voice. I don't take pics much anyway.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm really glad they went with IPSLCD instead of AMOLED. Saturation was nice, but also creates inaccuracy, mura, and the high susceptibility of screen burn in (which I did get hit by on my 820).

Losing Hey Cortana was kind of a bummer, and honestly they should've done everything in their power to assure the 830 had all the highlights of #moreLumia under its belt... I have very few regrets about the 830 I have now, but I can't help but feel a bit deceived.

I know we went be able to wake the phone with Hey Cortana, but what about usage when the phone is unlocked? Will we at least have that?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The issue is there is still a lot of confused reporting after that press event.

- Here's a new phone
- It's getting the denim firmware
- Here's a new feature in the denim firmware : Hey Cortana

Missing statement: - this feature isn't for either of these phones today, only true flagship phones.

Easy to see how people got so so easily confused though...

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like to see an official source on this information. As far as I can work out, the feature requires Sensorcore, which the SD400 definitely has. So if it's true that the 830 will NEVER get Hey Cortana, it's gotta be a reason other then the CPU. Memory? Battery? I don't know, but I'm more inclined to believe that it will eventually come to the SD400 devices rather then never, it's probably just a matter of optimization which hasn't been done yet.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
You're all confused. Hay Cortana is the feature that turns your phone into a horse. That indeed will be on every phone (with an accessory purchase from Hasbro). :)

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
"Hey Cortana" is the one thing that has me still debating the 1520 vs the 830

Honestly if that is the only thing that's making you debate between the 830 and the 1520, then the 1520 is the one to get. Got one over a month ago and couldn't be any happier. Even though the 830 is the newer model, the 1520 blows it out of the water in practically every stat.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly if that is the only thing that's making you debate between the 830 and the 1520, then the 1520 is the one to get. Got one over a month ago and couldn't be any happier. Even though the 830 is the newer model, the 1520 blows it out of the water in practically every stat.

I wouldn't say it blows it out of the water at all... I have both phones. The 1520 is certainly the more powerful device, but the speed difference of most day-to-day operations is negligible. Apps open at almost the same speed, navigation locks on at the same speed, etc. And the battery life is surprisingly great. Easily the best battery life I've experienced on a Windows Phone outside of the 1520.

Sure, the 1520 is the "better device" specs-wise, but performance really is almost equal, believe it or not. The size is more practical and the aesthetics are stunning (though the 1520 is easy on the eyes as well). I'll likely be selling my 1520 in the near future.

But, as you said, if Hey Cortana is the only decisive factor then it has to either be the 1520 or 930. The 830 is out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb