Disastrous launch of the Nokia Lumia 830 in Canada...embarrasing almost.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How well does Samsung promote devices in Canada that are lower-end models than the Galaxy line?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
How well does Samsung promote devices in Canada that are lower-end models than the Galaxy line?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Rogers web site has in their Featured Devices : iPhone 6/6+, HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/Note 3.
Bell has the Galaxy Aplha, Note 4, iPhone 6/6+ as their Top PLUS devices; the Galaxy Core is in the Top LITE lineup.

Samsung seems to be getting plenty of coverage.
The Alpha/S5/S4/Note 4/3 are not lower end, but the 830 is not lower end either.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Rogers web site has in their Featured Devices : iPhone 6/6+, HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/Note 3.
Bell has the Galaxy Aplha, Note 4, iPhone 6/6+ as their Top PLUS devices; the Galaxy Core is in the Top LITE lineup.

Samsung seems to be getting plenty of coverage.
The Alpha/S5/S4/Note 4/3 are not lower end, but the 830 is not lower end either.

Isn't Alpha lower-end than S5/Note 4?

I'm surprised the S4 and Note 3 are still being promoted, as those are now old models.

I could see the 830 being featured in the LITE line-up.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The Galaxy Alpha, The Moto E and some other budget phones have been in Flyers and Newsprint with big pictures, lots of focus on low price, but never next to a Low end Windows Phone.

As a rule the Big 3 Rogers, Bell and Telus have the lion share of the market, but only ever push iPhone and Android. Even tho they have Windows Phones.

The Rogers Store I was in the other Day has only 1 WP on display a Nokia Lumia 1020.....not a single demo model of the 830 or even a wall ad to it being available.

I blame both Microsoft and the Phone Companies.....I don't care if Rogers gets a deal to be the only one to have a model, however Microsoft has to put in the deal that Rogers has to give it ad time.

They both have to start pushing the Brand out there.....it's no wonder Market share is so low, when you have the same number of Models on display as Blackberry.......1

! Lumia 1020 and 1 Blackberry Passport.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting! 830 is a nice phone but I wanted the 735! Verizon in the U.S. has delay it launch till 2015 just like they did with the Icon and now the Icon is discontinued in less then a year!

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It's worse in the UK - having spent my Saturday wandering round local stores (all 4 main carriers, PC World and Carphone Warehouse) I found not one has the 830 (or the 1520) in store. In fact the only way to get any of these phones is by internet purchase.

My experience was different... Both EE and Vodafone stores had dummy 830s, and every other store I went in had a selection(!) of Lumia dummy models and at least one working Nokia on display, mainly 930s, one was a 635. I was quite impressed with Vodafone actually, they had a whole section devoted to Microsoft with massive signage front and centre, you practically had to fall over it to get through the door!

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
They both have to start pushing the Brand out there.....it's no wonder Market share is so low, when you have the same number of Models on display as Blackberry.......

Even the dying Blackberry gets more coverage than the Windows Phone - you have to wonder what MS Canada is doing, because we certainly know what it's not doing...

I'm waiting on the delivery of my 830, but if the platform stays dormant like this, it may be my last WP.
*shrug* I'll have to sell my soul to Google. Eek, I feel dirty just saying it.Still better than converting to the Apple cult I guess...
Bah, I plan to keep the 830 as long as I can, it should be good for all I need to do. SD, good camera, replaceable battery, if I don't crack the screen I don't see why it would need to be replaced...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can buy cheap WPs in the stores but when the price is $300+, buy it online on a carrier website or even amazon. Flagships are really hard to find out in the wild. Save yourself the trouble.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
WP's issues aren't the sales reps or the lack of flag ship devices, the issues are with MS!!! They simply don't know how to market the OS. Why talk about an update to your OS today the beginning of the year and your users don't get the update until the middle or the end of the year in most cases. Ever wonder how APPLE and ANDROID actually kept their market share and improved on it? All they did was release an OS and kept working to improve it each time a cycle came around to the point that users got so comfortable with what they had already that when the announcement of an update was released there wasn't any rush to see what it was bringing because they already were satisfied and whatever improvements it brought was just that IMPROVEMENTS that kept them on an OS they had 0 reason to leave anyways.

MS needs to stop talking about shyte today and their customers testing it MONTHS later. COMMON F....G SENSE from a multi-billion dollar company should say that don't make sense because between the announcement and the implementation of the update/upgrade the WP users has that time to SWITCH!!! What MS should be doing is that when users go into a store asking for the new device out, that when the reps asks, the user could say but my current in hand device can do that already and it can do that +, so in moving on do you have what I've asked for. It's easy for reps to show us choices to WP because they already know that WP still has its limits, so MS get off your ARSES and stop p...y-footing with releasing DENIM and the soon to be talked about EMERALD!!!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
WP's issues aren't the sales reps or the lack of flag ship devices, the issues are with MS!!! They simply don't know how to market the OS. Why talk about an update to your OS today the beginning of the year and your users don't get the update until the middle or the end of the year in most cases. Ever wonder how APPLE and ANDROID actually kept their market share and improved on it? All they did was release an OS and kept working to improve it each time a cycle came around to the point that users got so comfortable with what they had already that when the announcement of an update was released there wasn't any rush to see what it was bringing because they already were satisfied and whatever improvements it brought was just that IMPROVEMENTS that kept them on an OS they had 0 reason to leave anyways.

MS needs to stop talking about shyte today and their customers testing it MONTHS later. COMMON F....G SENSE from a multi-billion dollar company should say that don't make sense because between the announcement and the implementation of the update/upgrade the WP users has that time to SWITCH!!! What MS should be doing is that when users go into a store asking for the new device out, that when the reps asks, the user could say but my current in hand device can do that already and it can do that +, so in moving on do you have what I've asked for. It's easy for reps to show us choices to WP because they already know that WP still has its limits, so MS get off your ARSES and stop p...y-footing with releasing DENIM and the soon to be talked about EMERALD!!!
Well windows 10 for phones isn't coming till build presumably (Joe belfiore said well into 2015) so Microsoft have the right to ***** foot. We are probably getting emerald around the same time as we got black this year anyway. And I agree, Microsoft need to step up with their ads

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
In England I would have to disagree. There have been so many ads I seen on tv with the 520, 630, 1020, 930 and (admit rarely) the 1520. The surface pro ads have always been on and Carphone warehouse has a section dedicated to windows where I am. Not sure how or why Microsoft being an American company don't advertise so well in America. They have been doing great here and I keep seeing people walking around with lumia's

In England I would have to disagree. There have been so many ads I seen on tv with the 520, 630, 1020, 930 and (admit rarely) the 1520. The surface pro ads have always been on and Carphone warehouse has a section dedicated to windows where I am. Not sure how or why Microsoft being an American company don't advertise so well in America. They have been doing great here and I keep seeing people walking around with lumia's

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Up here in Canada Windows Phone just can't catch a break.

Microsoft Canada does nothing to push it's own Devices into ads.....I am not kidding....I dare any Canadian to point out a Microsoft Ad that has been on CBC, CTV or City ( they all now go from coast to coast ).

The closest thing to a Microsoft Ad was made by The Source ( What used to be Radio Shack before being bought by Bell Canada), in their "I want that" spots.
A guy in a Coffee Pub sees a guy dressed in a Wolf Outfit typing on a Surface 2.....he says I want that.......the walls slide away and a Source Tech Guru floats to his table and states "We have Tablets of all shapes and sizes to meet your needs", sets a Surface 2 down on the table with a snap on keyboard, then floats back to his Magic Sourse store.

Not once is the name used......Microsoft Surface 2......just tablets is said.

Even in print Flyers by the Major Retail Whores ( Future Shop, Staples, Best Buy) the Flyers have pages of Samsung Galaxy everything, Apple iPhones and iPads, and maybe 1 or 2 budget Windows Phones usually the 53x 63x phones.

Yes Windows PC and Laptops are biggest pictures in the ads, however the section where a Windows Phone is, is the smallest picture and breakdown on the phone.

I mean why even have a Microsoft Canada if they are not going to hustle and work to get the name out there.....however I will bet Microsoft Canada is a Lame Duck company formed mainly for support of major Corporate networks and sales only.

I am thankful I got into Windows CE years ago, as I would never even know it was around if I was just looking for my first smart phone now.

**EDIT** found the ad on Youtube....and my bad SP3 is said at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxXyAjepr7M

The closest Microsoft ad I saw on CBC was the Surface Pro 3 ad, no Windows Phone ad. I only saw a billboard for a Windows Phone when the 920 came out in Quebec City. That was it, the last ad in Canada :p

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
In my area when the 900 came out back in 2012 it was the opposite. I saw commercials, I saw ads, the at&t stores had banners, some employees even had t-shirts but you know what they didn't have.....the phones. I finally found one at an "authorized at&t reseller" after 3 actual at&t stores and another reseller said they never got any stock in.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
In England I would have to disagree. There have been so many ads I seen on tv with the 520, 630, 1020, 930 and (admit rarely) the 1520. [...] They have been doing great here and I keep seeing people walking around with lumia's

Effect/cause right there I would say: place ads, get more people to buy the product...

Here in the Montreal, Quebec, I know of one friend running a 710, and another with a 1020. That's it. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at work with a WP, out of 60+ employees.
I actually joke about it when I meet the friend with the 1020. We chat about the WP situation, updates, etc, saying there should be an app to locate the few other WP users in the region...
Or start a "WP Anon" club... "Hello, my name is Frank. I use a Windows Phone..." :grin:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Effect/cause right there I would say: place ads, get more people to buy the product...

Here in the Montreal, Quebec, I know of one friend running a 710, and another with a 1020. That's it. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at work with a WP, out of 60+ employees.
I actually joke about it when I meet the friend with the 1020. We chat about the WP situation, updates, etc, saying there should be an app to locate the few other WP users in the region...
Or start a "WP Anon" club... "Hello, my name is Frank. I use a Windows Phone..." :grin:

Well if it makes you a tiny bit more comfortable (I doubt it) I am planning to open a shop after finishing my courses (Summer 2015) with an e-commerce, I'll definitely carry some WPs mostly those you can't find via carriers like the 1520, 930, etc.... Of course if all goes to plan :p if not then I'll have to delay my mobile offerings until my store is ready to carry them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett