Lumia 830 and Windows 10

Solar 77

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello everybody!

This is my first post here on wpcentral. I'm a fan of all things mobile. I'm a Blackberry Z10 user and I've been considering the Lumia 830 since it was launched. I like the 830 because of the design and camera.

I'm based here in the Philippines and I just found out that the SRP for the device (i.e. 830) is at Php 23K or $513. Expected it to cost a lot less so I might just wait for the price to drop soon hopefully.

I posted this thread because I want to know if the Lumia 830 is compatible with the Windows 10 update. I have a feeling it will be updated but I haven't read anything official yet..

Experiences on switching from a Z10 to a Lumia would help as well. In general, I just wanna know what I'm getting into in case I push through with getting the device.

Thanks a lot!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
News on the Windows 10 update are scarce when it comes to phones, but what isn't scarce is the guarantee that Windows phones are good on updates for 3 years, or 36 months after initial release.

So with that in mind, it's easy to say that yes, the Lumia 830 will get Windows 10. ;)

More information will hopefully be released early next year.

apinkel

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Since WP low-end lines (which are their highest volume devices) run on devices with 512MB ram and snapdragon 200 processors I think you can be fairly confident that windows 10 (or whatever they end up calling the next version of WP) will run just fine on the 830.

The only exception to that is games. I think if you are a hard-core mobile gamer you should be looking at something like the 930 or 1520 (or waiting for whatever MS releases next year).

Outside of gaming I'd say the 830 fits the 'affordable flagship' label since it does have a high-end camera with OIS, premium build quality as well as a few other niceties you typically only see in flagships... wireless charging, NFC, full complement of sensors and, unlike many flagship phones, it does have removable storage, a swappable battery and if preliminary reports are correct, good battery life.

I'm not much of a gamer outside of a few simplistic puzzle games so the 830 is looking like it might be a pretty good fit for me. I've got an 820 now and the one thing I'll miss is the deep blacks of the amoled display... but it will be nice to be able to use the white background without it killing battery life. I guess life is full of little tradeoffs.

Solar 77

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
News on the Windows 10 update are scarce when it comes to phones, but what isn't scarce is the guarantee that Windows phones are good on updates for 3 years, or 36 months after initial release.

So with that in mind, it's easy to say that yes, the Lumia 830 will get Windows 10. ;)

More information will hopefully be released early next year.

That's great to hear. Thanks! Hope they give out official word soon.

Solar 77

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Since WP low-end lines (which are their highest volume devices) run on devices with 512MB ram and snapdragon 200 processors I think you can be fairly confident that windows 10 (or whatever they end up calling the next version of WP) will run just fine on the 830.

The only exception to that is games. I think if you are a hard-core mobile gamer you should be looking at something like the 930 or 1520 (or waiting for whatever MS releases next year).

Outside of gaming I'd say the 830 fits the 'affordable flagship' label since it does have a high-end camera with OIS, premium build quality as well as a few other niceties you typically only see in flagships... wireless charging, NFC, full complement of sensors and, unlike many flagship phones, it does have removable storage, a swappable battery and if preliminary reports are correct, good battery life.

I'm not much of a gamer outside of a few simplistic puzzle games so the 830 is looking like it might be a pretty good fit for me. I've got an 820 now and the one thing I'll miss is the deep blacks of the amoled display... but it will be nice to be able to use the white background without it killing battery life. I guess life is full of little tradeoffs.

Yep. Good thing I'm not a hardcore mobile gamer.

Agree with all your points on the device fitting the "affordable flagship" label. I don't mind the trade-offs (i.e. screen & processor) as I've seen videos and the internals seem to run the OS smoothly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb