Opinions about 830's glance screen

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Previously I've had AMOLED Lumias 925 and 1020 and the glance screen in them works like a charm, easily visible day or night and the proximity sensor picks up movement very quickly with peek function. Now with the LCD screen Lumia 830 I've been really disappointed how it registers movement slowly (where is the proximity sensor placed, it was so visible in Lumia 925?), but also it just pales in comparison with the AMOLED 925 and 1020.

Fellow Lumia 830 users, how do you find the glance screen on your Lumia 830 and how does it compare to the Lumia 925/1020?

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
OLED will always give better glance, for one you can have full brightness on individual pixels, secondly you only have those pixels using battery.

With that said i still think that the 830's glance is perfectly visible and does the job quite well. The senor is next to the NOKIA logo on the front and mine does wake up every time i wave my thumb over that sensor, if I however thouch the screen by getting to close it does not wake up.

I much prefer IPS over Pentile matrix OLED so having the glance function even on an IPS is for me just an added bonus. I really tried liking the 930 with its oled but there was simply to many things wrong with it even if glance makes more sense on it.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Why doesn't oled support glance?

OLED do support it, or rather display?s using oled can have glance if the display has an onboard memory, those without onboard memory cannot, the 930 has no onboard memory on it's display so it cannot show glance even though its display is better suited for it.

Edit: Testing a bit more i notice that if i touch the sensor area & move away upwards from the screen it does wake it up every time, if i touch to far down on the screen itself it might not wake up.

Last edited:

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Yep, though I have to admit I was surprised how different glance with AMOLED and LCD can be. At least my 830 picks up hand-waving much slower than it ever did on the 925.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Tested to run with glance always on now and with that, wifi, 2g, positioning and everything syncing it seems to be drawing around 1,5% battery an hour (standby) and with glance off it lands on 1,3%. How reliable these numbers are is hard to say but it doesn't look like glance takes all that much battery even on led lit IPS.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Tested to run with glance always on now and with that, wifi, 2g, positioning and everything syncing it seems to be drawing around 1,5% battery an hour (standby) and with glance off it lands on 1,3%. How reliable these numbers are is hard to say but it doesn't look like glance takes all that much battery even on led lit IPS.

Hi...

I notice that you run your 830 on 2G and have in a different thread (830 Battery Matters) reported quite good battery results. I can see why my casual tests are giving different results. My 830 is always on 3G and that may (at least so I think) draw a bit more power. That said, I don't think having Glance on (with the Weather information displaying) has markedly affected my 830's battery.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi...

I notice that you run your 830 on 2G and have in a different thread (830 Battery Matters) reported quite good battery results. I can see why my casual tests are giving different results. My 830 is always on 3G and that may (at least so I think) draw a bit more power. That said, I don't think having Glance on (with the Weather information displaying) has markedly affected my 830's battery.

Yeah at home i turn off 4G and run wifi with 2G, out and about i run with 4G since there is no 3G near me anymore.

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hand waving has never worked for me! :( It turns on correctly when I pull it out of my pocket but other that that, I have to completely cover the sensor with my hand and then remove it for glance to show up.

bachansoo

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, coming from a Lumia 620 the 830's glance is definitely inferior. In mediocre light, I find myself tapping the sensor to get it to show the glance screen.
As well, the glance has a noticeable 1 second delay. It was near instant on the 620.

Hope this is a software issue and is resolved in the near future.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from the HTC 8X so I have no previous experience with Glance, but on my ATT 830 I have no consistent way to get the Glance screen to activate once its gone dark. Sometimes waving a finger or my hand over the top portion of the phone wakes it up, oftentimes nothing happens and I double tap the screen, which sometimes wakes it and sometimes not. Very inconsistent. Once Glance comes on, I have no issues with its visibility.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I think Glance is fine on the 830's screen. My only gripe, is as others have already said, it's a bit difficult to wake / activate.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago i went back to stock software, ie not DP and since then i find it much more difficult to wake up glance, i had some issues with scrolling and animations not being very smooth with DP but i'm surprised that Glance activation was affected, mind you it could just be my imagination...

LoriInWA

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Just traded from my 920 to 830. My only gripe with the glance screen is that the background picture is always pixilated. I tried a ton of different photos and backgrounds and all of them appear washed out and pixilated. :(

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
They actual are because the glance screen is low power mode. And the only way to be low power is show a picture as you describe.

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Glance works pretty good for me. But I have noticed some delay in turning on in low lighting also sometimes waving doesn't work well. But I think firmware could possible fix it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa