Neowin got an AT&T Lumia 830. Check out the pics.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, but that's an international version Lumia 830 in that unboxing, not the AT&T version for the U.S (pricing and availability was just announced by AT&T and Microsoft this week). Neowin got the AT&T version. Those are the fist real photos of the device (other than the marketing photos) that I've seen. The AT&T version only comes in that gunmetal gray color with green and black back covers. I was curious to see how the green back cover looked with the dark grey sides (versus the silver sides on the international versions). The green in their photos looks a little washed out. Hopefully, the actual color is darker than that.
I'm hoping Daniel will get one of the AT&T Lumia 830's so he can confirm it supports Qi wireless charging. He has reported the back covers on the AT&T version support both Qi and PMA, so it would be nice to have Windows Central test that out, and maybe do a comparison between the AT&T version and the international version.

RobnJax

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Booredatwork has an unboxing video of the AT&T version on youtube (cant post link, since this is my first posting and apparently 10 posts are needed in order to include links)

I asked him in the comments if it works with Qi wireless charging and he confirmed it did. I followed asking him again via twitter and he confirmed it works with all of his Qi chargers. Hard to believe the way the specs are listed on both AT&T and Nokia sites, but I pretty sure Booredatwork wouldnt be wrong about this.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the photos. I prefer the international silver edge. Maybe I'll wait until those come down in price in a month or two and get that.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
-Think I still prefer the silver, but not enough to go out of my way to get an unlocked international version.
-AT&T needs to work on their packaging. I feel like I've seen a much nicer white box in stone of the earlier unboxing videos.

Last edited:

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Just for informations sake, the international version can also be bought with the same black metal frame instead of the "silver".

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yup, that's what I have and I'm in the US on AT&T. Black metal frame, international version that I've had for around 2 months now.

Fred

Just for informations sake, the international version can also be bought with the same black metal frame instead of the "silver".

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
One other thought. My initial reaction to the micro-USB port being on top is not a positive one. At least from a visual standpoint I like the symmetry of a centered headset jack on top, and a centered USB port on bottom. Functionally, I'm not sure I'll like this when connected in the car. I worry that keeping the phone in portrait mode will put undue stress on the port. Maybe I just need to get Qi charging in the car too :)

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
One other thought. My initial reaction to the micro-USB port being on top is not a positive one. At least from a visual standpoint I like the symmetry of a centered headset jack on top, and a centered USB port on bottom. Functionally, I'm not sure I'll like this when connected in the car. I worry that keeping the phone in portrait mode will put undue stress on the port. Maybe I just need to get Qi charging in the car too :)

Which of the Lumia's don't have the USB on the top? I have a 900 still and the port is on the top and I really prefer it that way.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

My USB port always fills with lint so having it on the top is a good thing for me :)

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Which of the Lumia's don't have the USB on the top? I have a 900 still and the port is on the top and I really prefer it that way.

My 520 has it on the bottom. If you're charging while reading it's better. Having it on top strains the plug while I'm holding it upright. On the other hand, I still connect to my car stereo through an aux port, and if I do that while charging it means I have cables sticking out of both ends.

Maybe Santa will bring me a charging plate and bluetooth adapter for the car this year. I've been good, I promise.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
In the end, both shades of the metal frame are neutral colors, so it's not like it's not going to match. But Nokia/Microsoft designed the other colors to go with the true, non-shaded metal frame for a reason. It accents the back cover best. But with the darker metal frame, your eyes are more immediately drawn to the frame instead of the back cover. The only back cover the darker gunmetal frame looks best with is the black one.

Oh well, it's still worth getting if you're on contract with AT&T. Otherwise, I'd get an unlocked version, whether the RM-984 or RM-985.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, I think the darker gunmetal gray frame is starting to grow on me. When I first saw it in the marketing photos with the green back, I thought, "Blech!". It looked like a black frame, but in these photos/video it looks more like a dark gray, so maybe not as horrible with the green back cover as I originally thought. Won't really know until I see it person. Regardless, I still like the silver better, but I'd rather stick with an AT&T phone instead of getting an international version. So dark gray and green it is. I wonder how the orange back would look on it. Would make the perfect SF Giants fan phone. :grin: I wonder if the white back cover would look good. Has anyone found those back covers for sale yet? I wonder if the Microsoft Store will be getting them.

The USB port on top doesn't really bother me, especially since Qi charging is supported.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium