Got mine this morning!

TheKinkajou

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Went over to the local ATT store and picked up the 830. At first they said they didn't have any, but they eventually found them. The phone and fitbit are packaged together in a white unmarked ATT box. They thought they were modems.

Anyway. I love the black frame. I put the green back on it and it's all business from the front but a party out back. Sweet.

WP_20141025_15_21_06_Pro.jpg

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My wife had the same experience lol. She bought me one for our anniversary and so far I love it. Bigger but not 1520-ish.

bh5213

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Same here...went first thing this morning. At first they said they didn't have them but eventually found them in the back. No wonder Microsoft has hard time selling windows phones, when the stores don't even know they have the inventory. So far I love it. Perfect size. Still getting used to windows phone 8....since my last phone was a Samsung Focus 2, running 7.8. So this was huge upgrade for me.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It was out in the store I went to, but hadn't been set up. So no one unfamiliar with WP would have been able to play with it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you guys had a terrible experience lol. Mine was fantastic. At my store they had the 830 all set up in a great display. The girl who helped me took 30 seconds and got the box out of the back and brought it out to me. She helped me set up my phone (well, ok, I did that part), the fitbit and softcard. I'd give it a 10/10.

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
My only quirk is keeping the fit it connected but I'm still playing with it so we'll see. It's freaky how light this phone is. I've been following all the reviews and it still didn't prep me for how small it really is lol. Now I just need a killer case and I'm set.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My only quirk is keeping the fit it connected but I'm still playing with it so we'll see. It's freaky how light this phone is. I've been following all the reviews and it still didn't prep me for how small it really is lol. Now I just need a killer case and I'm set.

Did they not have a case at the store? Mine had a small variety of them. I got the transparent incipio case. I was kinda bummed out having to cover up the green back, but then I saw the case and I was like :O .

jantveg85

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I was up at 8 in the morning and was the only guy waiting outside AT&T for the 830. They told me they had zero in stock despite the website saying every store in my area had them in stock. But nope...everyone kept telling me that they'd get them in next week(!) so I went ahead and ordered one on the AT&T website.

I then got the urge to call the stores in my area one last time and lo and behold, my store had it! I quickly drove over there and picked up the phone and Fitbit. I'm amazed at how crisp the screen looks and at how the phone performs overall. Awesome phone, awesome design (rocking the green back cover). Now it's time to get a qi charger and a nice case :D

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Did they not have a case at the store? Mine had a small variety of them. I got the transparent incipio case. I was kinda bummed out having to cover up the green back, but then I saw the case and I was like :O .

Got mine too, but they only had the incipio transparent case. The case is black, not transparent, but it does let some of the green around the camera and speaker show through. It also fits well and provides really good protections for the screen and the camera hump.

Overall I'm very happy.

Silence#WP

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I can't believe you compared the phone to a mullet!?! :grin: Depending on how one feels about mullets that is either pretty good or pretty bad. Darn funny either way.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Went to two stores to look at it today, neither had it on display, the first had an annoyed manager that was kind of ticked off that they did not have the display model yet. He said it should have been in already, and he has quite a few people in to look at it all ready and had nothing to show. The second only had the 635 and 1020 on display, and only two employees working with a full house. Left after 15 min. of no one talking to me. So far the three I went to were authorized sellers, not any of the corporate stores. Monday I will try a corporate store.
The third has not received the live demo unit, only the dummy unit. I looked at it for a few min. I like the form factor, and its a comfortable fit in my hand. Hope to play with one to see if it is a good stop gap phone between my 920 and the next flagship.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Went to two stores to look at it today, neither had it on display, the first had an annoyed manager that was kind of ticked off that they did not have the display model yet. He said it should have been in already, and he has quite a few people in to look at it all ready and had nothing to show. The second only had the 635 and 1020 on display, and only two employees working with a full house. Left after 15 min. of no one talking to me. So far the three I went to were authorized sellers, not any of the corporate stores. Monday I will try a corporate store.
The third has not received the live demo unit, only the dummy unit. I looked at it for a few min. I like the form factor, and its a comfortable fit in my hand. Hope to play with one to see if it is a good stop gap phone between my 920 and the next flagship.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

That's the thing with authorized resellers they're the last in getting the latest products. I remember working at an internship for a PC shop, the NVIDIA 700 series just came out and the Radeon 7xxx series as well. It took him 3 months before he could order any from his distributors... I understand they need to prioritize their customers but sheesh 3 months is a long time in the PC world.

IlyaBu

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Could one of you guys pop open the back cover and take a look at the sticker with the model number, where it should same RM-985 for model, and see what the product code is for the AT&T variant? If someone could post the product code here then anyone who had purchased a pre-release RM-985 or an unlocked version, or one from a carrier in Canada, could also flash the AT&T firmware to the phone using the Nokia Care Suite method from here:
[Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho… | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Could one of you guys pop open the back cover and take a look at the sticker with the model number, where it should same RM-985 for model, and see what the product code is for the AT&T variant? If someone could post the product code here then anyone who had purchased a pre-release RM-985 or an unlocked version, or one from a carrier in Canada, could also flash the AT&T firmware to the phone using the Nokia Care Suite method from here:
[Tutorial] Unbrand (flash) Nokia Windows Pho… | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Model number is RM-983

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow, you guys had a terrible experience lol. Mine was fantastic. At my store they had the 830 all set up in a great display. The girl who helped me took 30 seconds and got the box out of the back and brought it out to me. She helped me set up my phone (well, ok, I did that part), the fitbit and softcard. I'd give it a 10/10.

Sadly, this experience can't be replicated like dolly the sheep :winktongue: .

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Woke up yesterday (Saturday) and began the hunt. Called several corporate stores in Boston area, none had them or even knew what I was talking about, despite the website saying they each had stock. Then in the afternoon one store got 4 in, so I went over and bought one with the ftbit. They were not ready to be marketing this phone, no display, no cases, no Qi chargers. But I got mine in black (all they had) put the green cover on it and I am up and running.

Will take a while to get used to it. Coming from the HTC 8x, the 830 feels so big and clunky, and slippery. To my mind, the 8x was the best styled device in my hand of them all.

Anyone suggest a case, and where to get a Qi charger?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos