Camera OIS issue

michaelcly

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I just notice the OIS doesn't work for the first camera shot after loading. Shots taken after the first shot has the OIS enabled. Does anyone else have this issue?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean that OIS isn't enabled? Optical Image Stabilization is sort of a spring mechanism that the lens assembly floats in to reduce shaking. There isn't a way to turn that on or off in software.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that OIS doesn't work for manual focus shots. I don't understand why, though.

True. My 920's OIS won't work unless it's an autofocus via half-pressed shutter or screen tap.

My 1520 on the other hand has OIS kicked in all the time. Probably because it has constant autofocus. Same for my girl's 930.

Arreat

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean that OIS isn't enabled? Optical Image Stabilization is sort of a spring mechanism that the lens assembly floats in to reduce shaking. There isn't a way to turn that on or off in software.

Not at all. Camera OIS is an active function. The OIS mechanism uses tiny little motors or pico-electric magnetic shift to compensate for shake detected by your devices gyro/accelerometer to physically shift the sensor. It's not just a passive spring effect.

michaelcly

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
When I half press or not, on my 1520 it will stabilize the hand movement. I could tell the OIS is working because it smoothes everything out. However on the 830, the first shot would not stabilize even if I half press it. After the first shot, the following shots would stabilize. But when I would exit the app and load it again, it would have the same problem. The weird thing is if I switch to the video capture mode it would stabilize even on the first capture.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
yep I can confirm the OIS issue...updating to latest preview software didn't resolve it. I've tried switching lenses around before the first shot and OIS never comes online until I take that first picture. Very disappointing. My pet theory is that there's something in the Denim firmware that doesn't activate OIS upon camera launch, but DOES upon taking a picture. Maybe something in the API is bugged and/or changed which will be resolved when the "real" Lumia Camera app is released. /crosses fingers.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
update: I installed the new V5 Lumia Camera app (and linked it to the hard button, do the back-arrow-press-hard-button-again dance due to the denim warning thing) and I noticed that upon launch OIS still doesn't work. However, if I switch to video mode, OIS works (as previously reported with prior versions)...BUT switching back to photo mode at this point maintains OIS functionality. Half-step in the right direction, I suppose and *slightly* less annoying than having to take a throw-away picture first in order to get OIS to work.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
How do you know / notice the OIS isn't working?

Imagine an axis running length-wise through the phone top to bottom, roughly through the headphone jack down though the interior of the phone and out the bottom where the usb port would have been on most phones. Now, put the phone in camera mode (and in doing so hold the phone to the side in "landscape" orientation). Rapidly move the camera back and forth slightly, rotating about that original longitudinal axis...maybe 2-3 degrees of angle each way (to approximate exaggerated hand shake). If the OIS isn't working, you'll notice that the picture in the "viewfinder" is jumping up and down along with the induced movement. If the OIS is working, the picture shouldn't seem to move hardly at all.

Last edited:

luumia

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
update: I installed the new V5 Lumia Camera app (and linked it to the hard button, do the back-arrow-press-hard-button-again dance due to the denim warning thing) and I noticed that upon launch OIS still doesn't work.

Thanks. I will keep on watching this thread. I've been trying to decide between 735 and 830, but until this 830 OIS issue is solved, 735 looks like a better choice. At the moment in Finland 735 costs 165 euros and 830 is 299 euros.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I will keep on watching this thread. I've been trying to decide between 735 and 830, but until this 830 OIS issue is solved, 735 looks like a better choice. At the moment in Finland 735 costs 165 euros and 830 is 299 euros.

Well, I would say that since the OIS issue is clearly a software issue that is already partially solved in two different work-arounds...I wouldn't make that the defining choice-maker between the two phones if it was my money. The 735 doesn't have OIS at all, and it has an inferior camera that will always be inferior to the 830's camera..no software upgrade can add megapixels ;)

Just a thought.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Since I have final Denim on my 830 with fully functional Lumia camera 5, I have great news for you guys. OIS now works flawlessly from the first shot in all apps - Microsoft camera, Lumia camera and Lumia camera classic. It was definitely a software issue that enabled OIS only for second shot.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Since I have final Denim on my 830 with fully functional Lumia camera 5, I have great news for you guys. OIS now works flawlessly from the first shot in all apps - Microsoft camera, Lumia camera and Lumia camera classic. It was definitely a software issue that enabled OIS only for second shot.

how u got the final Denim? i live in Brazil but my device is unlocked and uncarried, having stock firmware...and still no sign of final Denim here :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro