Things I did to make my 830 better

jehugo

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
In case this helps anyone, I re-upped my ATT from my 920 to 830 and found a few necessary tweaks (for me).

At first I was pretty unimpressed with the 830. I've since changed my tune but would definitely NOT pay off-contract price for it.

Coming from the 920 I just wasn't used to such a light phone..felt "cheap" but I got over that fast. No more lump of coal in my pocket. I really didn't like cramming the back cover on and found out in the process that pressing a bit firmly on the screen created "pressure light blobs" like when you poke a lcd monitor. Clearly the screen glass is not as thick as the 920.

Everything else is great now, after a few tweaks.

1) Put a damn SD card in before restoring a backup/apps/pictures. I killed the storage (and therefore performance) by inadvertently filling up the internal storage. Clearing up the internal space brought back performance but some lag persisted

2) Get your Developer Preview installed and update the phone. There was an update which greatly improved performance (strange my 920 was up to date).

3) As mentioned in another thread, either remove Cortana tile from the home screen or switch to the smallest icon, otherwise major animation lag when going home.

4) Colors were (to me) to washed out coming from my 920. I got the screens pretty much in sync by going to Settings/Display/Color Profile/switch to Advanced and sliding the Color Saturation to the mid point.

That did it. The phone is performant, more so than the 920 from what I can tell, screen looks good, and the size is perfect. No problem letting go of the 920 now.

Good holdover until the next <6" flagship comes up in the US on ATT.

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Odd. I'm using the full sized Cortana tile and I really don't get any home screen lag. Definitely less than my 928 w/DP.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't know what the deal is. My 920 didn't have lag with full size tile. It definitely made a difference on my 830. Seems to be different for a lot of people. Curious....
ok, I tested some more. There is a slight stutter when coming back out of Cortana on the home screen for a split second. If on the smallest icon, it does not have the stutter in the animation. Thanks!
jehugo, do you have the forum link that discusses the Cortana/homescreen issue?

jehugo

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
ok, I tested some more. There is a slight stutter when coming back out of Cortana on the home screen for a split second. If on the smallest icon, it does not have the stutter in the animation. Thanks!
jehugo, do you have the forum link that discusses the Cortana/homescreen issue?

Yes it is subtle but just enough to be annoying ;)

The thread is on the first page here titled "Stuttering in return home"
(can't post links due to low post count)

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Just note that the update that the Developer Preview provided upon registering the AT&T Lumia 830 with the DP program was not a specific Lumia 830 update. It was simply the 'critical update' issue by Microsoft a few weeks ago available to all phones in the Developer Preview program, as described in this article.

And of course, the Start screen stuttering issue is a random occurrence due to any number of factors which commonly includes Cortana. Thankfully, I don't have this issue regardless of what size Cortana tile I have on my home screen. So your mileage may vary.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Also, Battery Saver crashing after installing the update from Developers Preview. It was working just fine before. However, I do notice a marked improvement in battery life. Any known fix for the Battery Saver crashes?

Edit: One reason why this could be happening is here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...y-saver-crash-usage-data-8-1-update-cyan.html

I tried changing the year (to 2004 just to try) and the app worked. When I changed the year back to 2014, the app crashed again. So, going by the info on the above-linked thread, I'll give a couple of days and see what happens.

Last edited:

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, Battery Saver crashing after installing the update from Developers Preview. It was working just fine before. However, I do notice a marked improvement in battery life. Any known fix for the Battery Saver crashes?

Hmm. I don't have any issues with Battery Saver. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to reset/uninstall Battery Saver. I would try a hard reset and install the update again to see if the issue persists.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I don't have any issues with Battery Saver. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to reset/uninstall Battery Saver. I would try a hard reset and install the update again to see if the issue persists.

Well...its not exactly the battery saver, the app opens to the Settings page, but if I swipe to the Usage page, it crashes - just like it is explained in the thread that I linked to above. Let's see, I'll give it a day or so and see what happens. Btw, I also have the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. I hooked up my phone (L830) and it said there is a software version available for it. It is about 1.63 GB in size. I have not installed it yet, but I sure as hell would like to know what it is.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Well...its not exactly the battery saver, the app opens to the Settings page, but if I swipe to the Usage page, it crashes - just like it is explained in the thread that I linked to above. Let's see, I'll give it a day or so and see what happens. Btw, I also have the Nokia Software Recovery Tool. I hooked up my phone (L830) and it said there is a software version available for it. It is about 1.63 GB in size. I have not installed it yet, but I sure as hell would like to know what it is.

Right. All of Battery Saver works fine for me. So its weird that it would not work for you. Not to mention that post you linked talks about phones with the Cyan update when a Lumia 830 comes pre-installed with Denim. So even weirder. Probably a good time to reach out to Nokia/Microsoft as that is probably a software issue with either Battery Saver, or the Cyan/Denim update.

That being said, the Software Recovery Tool should tell you what version of the software is available to you. If you are using an AT&T Lumia 830, the software would be Denim + Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. Not sure about other versions of the 830.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
To resolve the washed out color, change the color profile (under display) from standard to vivid. Thank Daniel Rubino for that tip...

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I did the Dev. Preview update and that messed up my battery saver app (see above). So, I hard-set the device. Interestingly, the reset improved the battery life immensely. And, while the phone was already quite smooth, it feels a little smoother than before. But this is perhaps just a consequence of a placebo effect.

jehugo

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
To resolve the washed out color, change the color profile (under display) from standard to vivid. Thank Daniel Rubino for that tip...

Vivid is a bit too much for me, that's why I went down the saturation slider route. obviously personal preference but I was happy with the color on the 920 and glad I was able to match it.

Auto brightness is key too.. still get those deep blacks.

RE: battery - battery life has been great for me. It does take noticeably longer to charge though.

With a few tweaks I'm really happy with the 830 as a modest upgrade to the 920. 720p is great for the 5" screen, I can type super fast. I continue to be impressed with the windows phone OS and it's performance despite the spec sheet.

sugarbowl06

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
" I've since changed my tune but would definitely NOT pay off-contract price for it. "

so how much are you paying for it ? I haven't found any scenario with their pricing schemes that offers a significant difference in price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb