Things I did to make my 830 better

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Got the 830 as soon as it was available on Ebay, well before any reviews. First thing I did was change the display profile to "vivid," but also changed the brightness profile to a little more than half way. The display is perfect now.

That second part really made a difference... better than just switching to vivid alone.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
So preview on 830 is working fine? I wanted to stick with final builds, but now I want to try again ... :)
I get the newest OS build with the next update (gdr2), is that correct?

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I paid the $99 contract upgrade. I'll pay off contract when a <6" flagship comes around.

My contract is up for my 920. I'm trying to decide what to do. Why did you go with the 830 over the 1520 if you plan on getting a 6" flagship next year?

jehugo

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Dev Preview works great on the 830 in my experience. To the best of my knowledge the 830 comes baked in with the latest and greatest update (Denim).

jehugo

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
My contract is up for my 920. I'm trying to decide what to do. Why did you go with the 830 over the 1520 if you plan on getting a 6" flagship next year?

* less than 6" ;)

And I retract my statement a bit... I think the 830 is just dandy. I don't care so much about the "hey cortana" feature or the most uber camera so my next lumia will have to bring some major stuff to the table.

As far as if you should upgrade your 920, I dunno. I had upgrade-itis, a dusty front cam, and also needed to change my contract a bit b/c of better pricing so I said "ok sure". At the end of the day I don't think it's a true upgrade from 920, just a different device that performs similarly to the 920 with some different features. I could easily go back to my 920 and not miss much, but I do enjoy the 830's form-factor, sd card, and screen size.

rudranil

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys know how to install the maps on the SD card? I had the maps on my 920 and it was no issue as I had enough space. On my 830, I must install the maps on the SD card as I am running out of space fast on my phone. I moved the HERE Drive and HERE Maps to SD card, but still when I try to download the maps, they are getting downloaded to the phone instead of the SD card. Has anyone done this successfully?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Afaik its no lt possible anymore. They removed the storage sense beta app, which was the only way. But maybe someone got an idea.
How do you run out of space? You got 16gb internal plus SD support for all,your files?

rudranil

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
That would be a bummer if it is not possible anymore. I still have over 6 GB left on my phone, but the US map is almost 4 GB and it will take away considerable space. Looks like I need to be selective and install the maps for my region only. Didn't need to worry about this on my 920. Still very happy with my 830 though...

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
That would be a bummer if it is not possible anymore. I still have over 6 GB left on my phone, but the US map is almost 4 GB and it will take away considerable space. Looks like I need to be selective and install the maps for my region only. Didn't need to worry about this on my 920. Still very happy with my 830 though...

But still, you can move ALL apps, music, pics, movies etc. to SD card, so you have plenty of space left, JUST for your maps... i dont see the problem?

Well...i dont move the important apps to SD (like whatsapp, facebook, etc.), because i think they could be a bit slower then / facing random problems...who knows... But all other apps (mixradio, games, rarely used apps, pics, movies) are all moved to SD card.

udayk

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
To resolve the washed out color, change the color profile (under display) from standard to vivid. Thank Daniel Rubino for that tip...

That was pretty much the first thing I did :)

Also, the display can be a bit too bright in dark surroundings when set to Automatic. I reduced the brightness of the 'Low' setting and pretty much use it everytime I operate my phone in dark. Easy on eyes, easy on battery!

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you guys know how to install the maps on the SD card? I had the maps on my 920 and it was no issue as I had enough space. On my 830, I must install the maps on the SD card as I am running out of space fast on my phone. I moved the HERE Drive and HERE Maps to SD card, but still when I try to download the maps, they are getting downloaded to the phone instead of the SD card. Has anyone done this successfully?

I think you need to get another version of storage check. With it you can tell it to download and store maps on the Sd card.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/s...eck-beta/c2adc981-83c2-4f19-8161-67149e44214c

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Got the 830 as soon as it was available on Ebay, well before any reviews. First thing I did was change the display profile to "vivid," but also changed the brightness profile to a little more than half way. The display is perfect now.

That second part really made a difference... better than just switching to vivid alone.
When you switched brightness profile to a little more than half way, were you starting from "medium"? Notice any change in battery life going to Vivid and increasing Brightness?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
When you switched brightness profile to a little more than half way, were you starting from "medium"? Notice any change in battery life going to Vivid and increasing Brightness?

I was indeed starting from right in the middle. However, I made this change right away so I couldn't adequately gauge the difference in battery life. I pretty easily go a day and a half with medium usage though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes