I received my AT&T Lumia 830 last Friday and it's been working flawlessly; however, this morning I woke up to a dead phone. Somehow it either crashed or powered itself off, but didn't turn back on again. When I tried pushing the power button, the phone didn't turn on. I thought perhaps the battery had mysteriously drained overnight, so I put it on the charger. Again, the phone was completely unresponsive. Even a phone with a low or empty battery displays an empty battery symbol when you connect it to a charger. But nothing. My phone looked completely dead. Finally I tried a soft reset by holding down the power button for several seconds, and finally the phone booted up. Whew! I noticed the battery was at 60%, so the battery had not drained completely. It did drop 20% overnight though, which it's never done before (It was at 80% when I went to bed). It's a mystery to me what exactly happened or what caused it. Never experienced this before with this phone or any of my other Windows phones. I don't know if this is the same random reboot issue that others have mentioned on these forums manifesting itself in another way, or just some other random problem. Really weird. After I managed to boot the phone up again, it's been working perfectly today. Hopefully, this was just a one time glitch. Not going to worry too much about it unless it happens again. Has anyone else experienced this with their phone?

Don't know if it has anything to do with my Microsoft Band since that's always running in the background. I did notice something strange with my Microsoft Band mail notification settings. Yesterday, I had changed my mail notification settings so that the band would only alert me when I got an email from a contact on my VIP list, and it was working fine. Stopped getting buzzed for every email. Then this morning, I woke to find several email notifications on my band from contacts not on my VIP list. That shouldn't have happened. When I went to check my phone, that's when I discovered it was dead. So these notifications came through before the phone crashed. After I booted up the phone again, I synced my band with the Health app and double checked the mail notification settings. The VIP list was still enabled. But I continued to get email notifications from contacts not on the VIP list. Ended up rebooting the band, then turning off mail notifications and saving that, then turning them back on again and saving that. Finally it's working again. Anyway, don't know if this weird bug with the Microsoft Band app caused the phone to crash last night, or if it's just a coincidence.

Everything is working fine now, so let's hope it stays that way. Just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else had the same problem.
    11-20-2014 06:04 PM
    That happened on my mother's 928 (925? I forget) once. She doesn't have the band.

I wouldn't worry about it.
    EBynum likes this.
    11-20-2014 06:29 PM
    Random shut-offs/reboots are becoming a real issue, for various reasons. I'm sending my RM-985 back to B&H for that reason. Glad I kept my RM-984.
    11-20-2014 10:00 PM
    I've had mine since launch day on AT&T and I've not yet had an unwanted shutdown or reboot..
    11-21-2014 05:59 AM
    Since 2012 there is a problem with the restart of many nokia models. then a new update has repaired the problem. I hope now with the next update to fix the problem. my lumia 830 also restarted one time every day! But if the phone turns off and no restart is possible defect in the hardware
    11-21-2014 06:11 AM
    Since 2012 there is a problem with the restart of many nokia models. then a new update has repaired the problem. I hope now with the next update to fix the problem. my lumia 830 also restarted one time every day! But if the phone turns off and no restart is possible defect in the hardware
    But my RM-984 doesn't restart like my RM-985 does. I'm shipping my RM-985 back today and asking for a replacement... we'll see if the new one restarts too. In the meantime I'm glad I kept my RM-984 just in case.
    11-21-2014 10:18 AM
    But my RM-984 doesn't restart like my RM-985 does. I'm shipping my RM-985 back today and asking for a replacement... we'll see if the new one restarts too. In the meantime I'm glad I kept my RM-984 just in case.

Why are you using the product number instead of the model name? I'm sure most people have no idea what you're taking about, which means your contributions to this thread are incredibly limited.
    11-21-2014 10:47 AM
    Probably because saying "But my 830 doesn't restart like my 830 does..." wouldn't really be all that useful. And considering that this thread is in the "830" forum, I think most folks understand that the model we're discussing here is the 830. Could be wrong though, I suppose.

He has 2 830's and is differentiating between the 2 of them by product number since that might be pertinent to the issues (different radio bands, firmware, etc might be root cause). So as such, it's actually more helpful than just the model name and thus I think his contributions to the thread are quite useful ;)
    ven07 and hasasimo like this.
    11-21-2014 11:42 AM
    This is a dated problem. I got the 920 on launch day and within a couple weeks I had the same problems. I eventually exchanged it at a local MS store and the problem still occurred but not as frequently and after various updates, it appeared less and less. A year later I exchanged it at a At&t service center and on my third one, never saw the problem.
    11-21-2014 12:10 PM
    Probably because saying "But my 830 doesn't restart like my 830 does..." wouldn't really be all that useful. And considering that this thread is in the "830" forum, I think most folks understand that the model we're discussing here is the 830. Could be wrong though, I suppose.

He has 2 830's and is differentiating between the 2 of them by product number since that might be pertinent to the issues (different radio bands, firmware, etc might be root cause). So as such, it's actually more helpful than just the model name and thus I think his contributions to the thread are quite useful ;)
    Thank you. Ironic that he referred to my contribution as "incredibly limited" when his didn't even refer to the Lumia 830.
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    11-21-2014 11:54 PM
    Well, so far so good. After that single incident I wrote about in my original post, my 830 has been working fine. Fingers crossed it won't mysteriously shut down and become unresponsive again. I have a lot of Windows phones (920, 520, 620, 635, and 1520) and none of them have ever had any random restarts or shut downs. So far, I've only had the one occurrence on the 830.
    11-22-2014 12:18 AM
    My phone actually shut off one day and never turned back on. Nothing happened when I connected my charger. Nothing with soft or hard reset even. When I took it to Nokia Care they said my battery was completely drained and it takes a lot of juice to bring it back to life again. They performed a "boost charge" or something and were able to get it to 20%. Final advice they gave "never let the battery drain completely!"
    ven07 likes this.
    11-22-2014 07:07 AM
    Are you on DP? Current appears a little flaky to me. Had a lockup pressing home mid app startup yesterday that required a soft restart. Likely another bug like that.
    11-22-2014 07:25 AM
    This is not uncommon with Lumias. I have read about this many time now. My 920, 925 and 1520 had the same issue; the 925 went through that three times.
    11-22-2014 04:37 PM
    Was anybody's phone face down when this happened?
    11-22-2014 04:40 PM
    Was anybody's phone face down when this happened?
    Mine wasn't.
    11-22-2014 05:10 PM
    Probably because saying "But my 830 doesn't restart like my 830 does..." wouldn't really be all that useful.
    That's intentionally facetious.
    11-22-2014 05:13 PM
    Mine wasn't.
    Oh ok. Both my 925/1520 mysteriously shut down over night and noticed that each time, my phone was face down. So I'm guessing something with the proximity/ambient light sensor could be the problem.
    11-22-2014 06:57 PM
    This happened once to my lumia 925, and only once, I honestly can't say what happened, I feel like its the OS flatout crashing and hanging at an unresponsive state that required a soft reset to fix (it drained my 925's battery like hell to when it happened)

I wouldnt worry about it, I think its a very rare bug in the WP OS
    11-22-2014 07:36 PM