Amoled or IPS... display of 830 really worth the price?

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
And we're talking about all this silliness over a frick'n phone :p
Add also, I don't know about most of you, but mine, taken over a 24 hour time span, has the screen off the vast majority of the time. Hehehehe

:)
Fred

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Does it really matter. The ppi is higher than your Asha anyway. iPhones use IPS and Samsung uses AMOLED mostly. Like colours? Amoled. Like accuracy and true colours? IPS. No need to get all technical about it. Sheesh. As long as it looks nice to you then the IPS on the 830 is worth the price

Beppe Gissi

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I prefer IPS over AMOLED because they have better whites and white screens drain less battery on them. Most websites are kinda totally white, so I thinks it's kinda a worthy difference.

Also, readability under sunlight is better on IPS.
IPS with ClearBlack it's the way Microsoft should follow even for their flagships imho

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I humbly stand corrected.

what the?

This is the internet man! Double down on being wrong and escalate the situation!

;)

Note: I went and did some research of my own today too and learned some stuff. I certainly wasn't going to trust any one site. :D

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I prefer LCD over OLED any day simply because of the "blurring" effect text has when scrolling (especially white text on black background) on AMOLED screens. I'm sold on the "PureMotion HD" (60Hz refresh rate) of Nokia's LCD screened phones like the 920 I had, and the 1520 I have now.

I had a 1020 (two of them actually) and hated the screen. It really did start getting image burn in after only a few short months... and had that blurring, lagging feeling when trying to scroll through things. LCD FTW!

This guy in this thread was trying SO hard to convince me how much better, and newer, and "more advanced" OLED was than LCD... he never changed my mind.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ew-issues-my-new-lumia-930-a.html#post2856232

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I love everything about 830... everything but two things... the price that is a little high, but well... is ok for me, is nokia quality
But the more important thing here is the display... If I'm gonna spend 470 USD (that's the price in my country) in a phone, I want it to havce a good display, in videos amoled display of the lumia 730 and even the IPS display of iphone 6 show more vibrant colors and brighter whites

I'm upgrading from an asha 201 (I used it as p?hone and my ipod 5G as smartphone XD) so... every screen will be good compared to the asha >_<, but compared to other smartphones... well, I don't know
What do you think guys?
Better the 735?

I used L800 and then L720, coming from AMOLED to IPS the difference was quite visible, same apps looked dull on L720 with IPS. IPS may be what ppl call real colors but Amoled is more vibrant & punchy, thats what eyes would like to see.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
As a casual photographer... IPS all the ways.
I prefer a picture that can be dull on Amoled than a picture that look corrected on Amoled but super saturated on IPS. I've seen a lot of pictures that look pretty on Amoled but horrible on PC screens (which is calibrated and used for editing and printing photos purpose)

Well, for normal usages, then Amoled would turn most pictures into blazing vibrant and pleasure to your eyes.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
. I've seen a lot of pictures that look pretty on Amoled but horrible on PC screens (which is calibrated and used for editing and printing photos purpose).

It doesn't have to be that way though. That is related to color profiles and calibration more than being a property of AMOLED technology per se. If consumers didn't associate oversaturation with "good", AMOLED screens would be calibrated differently. It's the same thing with televisions that are calibrated to look good under the bright neon lights at a best buy. They too are all completely borked, and in the same way, both need to be color calibrated when taken home. You can do that with Nokia's AMOLED devices.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I come the 810 and every time I look and use my 810 It reminds me why I love amoled. something about amoled that just makes wp awesome. if there is one thing I miss from my 810 is amoled .
the blacks on the 830 aren't deep blacks more like grey black .

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I come the 810 and every time I look and use my 810 It reminds me why I love amoled. something about amoled that just makes wp awesome. if there is one thing I miss from my 810 is amoled .
the blacks on the 830 aren't deep blacks more like grey black .

exactly, I'm briefly back onto using L800 after my L720 display broke, I'm finally enjoying the blacks, it used to be at best dark grey on L720

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the LCD camp. I like more accurate colours and not having to worry about burn-in. My old Samsung Focus (AMOLED) had tiles that looked weirdly textured when set to certain accent colours. It may have been the pentile layout. The only thing I like about AMOLED is the blacks.

I have the L830 and I'm happy with the screen. To be honest, viewing angles are not as good as some top-tier phones but are more than adequate. The resolution is slightly under 300ppi but I don't notice in daily use. There may be some jagged edges if I look really, really closely, but I can see the same on higher density "retina" displays too. It's not obvious at all that this is a 720p panel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb